poor DVD quality on LCD projector

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithA, May 19, 2001.

1. KeithA

KeithA Extra

Another LCD projector question... I finally received my component RCA->HD15 cable today, so I decided to check out a DVD on my XGA projector. I use a playstation2 as my DVD player, not videophile quality perhaps, but on my TV the picture looks plenty good to me.
    I was horrified at the result... I get major screendoor effects (moire patterns on striped shirts), pixelization, and this vertical bar pattern that looks like the color is changing a bit every ~40 pixels. After freaking out, thinking I might need a $500 depixelization filter or something, I thought the the problem might be with the projector's internal scaler, so I grabbed my laptop, played a DVD through WinDVD at 1024x768 res, and sure enough I got a beautiful 100" picture.
    So question is, what are my options now? My budget is already stretched from the new projector, new surround speakers, and an upcoming move... I'd just settle for using my laptop, but then I can't get the digital audio out. What's my cheapest option for getting watchable quality here? Would a progressive scan DVD help? Do I need an external scaler? Would a scaler be friendlier to an svideo or composite (ick) signal? Or should I try to build a cheap HTPC? Should I return the component cable and not play ps2 games using the projector (that would be unfortunate...)?
    Thanks for the help... I don't see too many posts on here like mine, so please let me know if this isn't the most appropriate place to ask these questions.

2. Dan G

Dan G Auditioning

Another place for advice is www.avsforums.com in the 'Video PRocessors' forum.
    Your prblem seems to be scaling related, and the best fix would be a scaler that outputs XGA. The cheapest alternative is the Quadscan, which performs WELL. You are looking at $800-$1k though for the QS.
    The QS will dramatically clean up composite or S video inputs, makes PS2 games look great (I use it myself), DVD's flawless, and NTSC as good as it can get.
    I have a brand new Sanyo proj, that is lovely in every way, butthe QS still stomps it;s internal scaler.
    dg

3. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Dans' advice is solid. BTW, the screen door effect has nothing to do with moire'. They are two distinctly different things. The screen door effect means that at some distance (hopefully not the viewing distance) you are able to pick out squares (pixels) and it looks like you are viewing through a screen door. Good luck.