Poor Display Quality for HTPC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey_Jones, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

Hello,
    I posted this thread to the hardware section before I knew about the existence of this area. I really should take a better look at this site [​IMG]
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=32986
    Basically I want to play my MP3 collection on my HT but I cannot get a livable display on my TV. I have tried several high end video cards as well as PC-TV converters. Text is almost unreadable so forget about using Winamp or any other MP3 software. Sure, I could have a great looking DVD player but I already have one of those.
    Am I missing something? How is everyone running a HTPC getting a usable display for MP3, e-mail, web, etc.?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    PS - I searched this forum but could not find any real answers.

2. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

What kind of display?

How large is the TV?

What's your viewing distance?

What is your hookup? S-vid, composite, component?

What kind of vid card?

I'm using an Asus 3800 TVR card on a 32" s-series (low-end) Sony using a s-video cable and text is fairly readable (but nothing like a monitor and that may be what you're benchmarking against, if so, then stop cause regular TV won't look that good).

Your cable will make a difference in this area, that's for sure. You may have to calibrate with AVIA or VE (provided you have a dvd-rom drive, to dial in the text....however this would throw off your hometheater settings...unless your dvd-rom drive is the main component).

If your set isn't Hi-Def or Hi-Def Ready your going to be very limited to scan rates and resolution and that will definately affect how text looks.

One final thing is that pc on a regular projection TV doesn't look all that great for text, period. You can't be sitting really close like you would a pc monitor.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

4. Jeffrey_Jones

Thanks Vince. It seems to me that most people are using projectors to do this. I have only seen a few tubes with this capability. Any recomendation in the 32-36 range?

Thanks,

Jeff

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Princeton makes a few at that size, but they only go up to 1024x768.
    I'm curious if other true HDTV tube sets have the right connectors, and if they show the full 1920x1080.
    The biggest computer monitor that qualifies (that I know of) is fromSony, a 24" widescreen
    //Ken

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Jeff,
    Really what you're asking is if they currently offer tube based, small format HTDV- and for the most part the answer is NO. Granted, as Ken posted Princeton graphics has a few, and there is the option of computer monitors- which i've seen some custom made 16x9 monitors that were about 30 inch diagonal- but I don't think the pricing is realistic. I think some mass manufactured sets have recently hit the market, but prices (like any new technology) are high.
    Right now, for small size format HDTV, they only options are small rear projection sets. You might poke around in TV/Projectors area here on the forumn and see what the latest developments are for non-projection HDTV... things might have gotten better recently (as I have not really been keeping up!)
    Look for other posts in TV like this one:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=25407
    Hope that helps
    Vince

7. Jeffrey_Jones

Vince,

Thanks for the reply. I am not only asking about HDTV but the ability to safely display a computer's display. I really like the Princeton Graphics and might pursue that angle. Most manufacturers do have HDTV tubes out now but I would really like the TV to have a VGA input that I could connect to a PC.

Thanks again,

Jeff

8. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

9. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

TV resolution is hard to pin down- basically NTSC supports 480 lines, which makes it roughly 640x480 in basic "resolution". When you to video editing in PC, the frames are usually either 640x480 or 720x480.

TV can certainly support more than 200 lines of resolution-- but exactly how many it can resolve is an issue of the individual sets.

-Vince