Poor Definition in Dark Colours...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jamie_R, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Jamie_R

Jamie_R Auditioning

Hopefully some of you guys can help me out a bit on this one...

I have noticed that on many of my DVDs I get very poor definition in the darker colours on screen. Strangely, it is especially noticeable in people's clothing. My copy of Criterion's 'Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie' offers a perfect example. The main male characters wear dark suits in much of the film; the darkness of the suits carries next to no definition. There is very little detail and the result is very strange looking (overly digital looking I suppose). It is hard to describe really... but it is taking away from my enjoyment of watching many of my DVDs.

My set-up includes a Panasonic PT47WX42C widescreen HDTV, and a Panasonic HT95 (receiver/DVD progressive scan player combo).

Is this a problem with my tv? With my receiver/player? At first I thought it may have been the films, but I have checked reviews and this is never brought up as an issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Have you calibrated your video using a setup disk such as AVIA or Video Essentials? Sounds like the black level is not correctly set.

3. Jamie_R

Jamie_R Auditioning

I have tried a set-up disc, though I cannot remember the name of it (not Avia or Video Essentials). I have tried adjusting every video level available on the tv, but no luck.

What sort of tests do the Avia or Video Essentials discs offer? The one I had was not much more than "if the red bleeds, turn down colour until it does not". Useless really.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Video Essentials has adjustments for brightness, contrast, color, tint, and sharpness. Sounds like what you need at the very least is the brightness/contrast adjustments which are very important.

What type of connection are you using between the TV and player? Is the player set to send progressive rather than interlaced?

Though Panny's are usually good, most combo players are not always the best players.

5. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Besides the valuable recommendation to calibrate with a good calibration disk, remember to regulate your light level in the room. RPTV's are more sensitive to high light levels than tubes and suffer from wash out if the room is too bright or light is reflected off the screen. I try to watch with all blinds pulled to eliminate any reduction in contrast that might wash out black levels.

6. Jamie_R

Jamie_R Auditioning

Thanks for your responses so far guys.

To answer a few questions:
    - Light level is low in the room with no direct light hitting the screen.
    - I am using a component cable connection with progressive scan enabled.

I am hoping it is an issue with the player rather than the tv (for obvious monetary reasons) and think I may have found an indicator to lead me to believe this is the case. I hooked up my old dvd player to the set today (through composite cables, no progressive input) and though the picture was not nearly as nice (due to the connection and lack of progressive scanning) the blacks at least seemed to show definition.

Is it likely that the terrible detail in the darker colours is due to the player?

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Some DVD players have settings to regulate the black level (forgot the term) for watching the movies in complete darkness, maybe some kind of cinema mode or black level regulation. You may want to check to see if this is enabled in the setup. Other members here can help me remember the term used for this feature.

8. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

The other possiblity is that you aren't supposed to see the information. People seem to expect to see every detail in every crevice of the image and that just isn't so. When you drive down the road at dusk can you see everything around you? Perhaps you are already getting an accurate rendition of what you're supposed to be seeing. I haven't senn the movie in question so I could be wrong but you aren't supposed to see every bit of detail in every scene. If you do then odds are that the brightness and contrast settings on your set are set way too high. Regards.

9. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I had similar problems till I calibrated with V.E ,now it is much better