What's new

Polyfill vs. Fiberglass (1 Viewer)

Michael Gdwn

Agent
Will Polyfill from Parts Express outperform Fiberglass sheets I can buy at Loews that much in my Audiosource 15? The polyfill is $40 and the fiberglass in

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Try Wallmart or any local fabric store. If you say polyfill and they go huh, say the stuff you put in blankets. I seem to remember people saying 1lb or 2lb bags are like $2.50 at wallmart.

Oh and fiberglass will work fine. Just itchy (well to some, doesn't bother me), and if the enclosure is ported you could end up throwing fiberglass particles into the air.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
If your looking at the acousta stuff #260-330 from PE I wouldn't recommend it. I bought some of it before & hated the stuff cause it lumps up. Regular poly fill is much cheeper & dose the same thing.

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
I have been following this thread with interest, as I am considering a do it yourself sub, and it leads me to a question.
The link Sebastian provided about fillers noted that most of the fillers were not effective below a given frequency such as 100Hz. What would be the result of not using any filler at all if it is not effective in the main frequencies that subs operate in?
Having said this, what is the primary function or benifit of filling an enclosure? Is the filler required at the low frequency range at all, or is it more for the upper limit of the subs range?
I am sure someone will enlighten me, as always!:D
Roy

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The link Sebastian posted talks about stuffing being used for a different purpose I think. This link should answer any questions about the purpose of stuffing a subwoofer enclosure.
Link Removed

Sebastian

Second Unit
Does anyone know if one stuffing material is better than the other, when stuffing ported subs?

Sebastian

Second Unit
So, basically nothing in performance? They both trick the driver into seeing a bigger volume. If that is the case why would anyone want to use fiberglass?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I think it's highly unlikely you'll hear the audible difference in stuffing brands so I recommend taking the trip to Walmart and purchasing "Premium Polyester FiberFil" by "Create A Craft" Loft Plus. It has maximum resiliency and loft, pure optic white for crafters who demand the best, machine washable, and hypo-allergenic.
:D
$2.00 per 20 oz bag (1.25lbs)
$7.00 per 80 oz bag (5 lbs)
Sebastian, I use fiberglass rolls sometimes because the sheets are cheaper than polyester batting when lining walls or making acoustic panels. However, the case we are talking about utilizes a loft where polyester can actually be cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks