What's new

Poly-Fill saves my SonoSub (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
An update on my boomy sonosub and the 10db peak at 40Hz.
I started out with about 1.5lbs of Poly-Fill in my 177L Sub. The sub was less than pleasing. On my way home I stopped by Walmart and picked up an additional 5lbs, opened up the sub, stuffed it, sealed it and placed it back ontop of my slate in the corner.
Let me say that $10.00 in Poly-Fill turned my $350 sonosub into a $5,000 beast. I have never FELT such powerful bass. Extremely tight, clean with a very solid impact. I almost hit the ceiling jumping for joy. Yeah, I was doing the happy dance. This thing is AWESOME. I ran the LFE Sweep via AVIA and the 10db peak between 40-45Hz is gone. I have a very flat response across the board. A 2db peak at around 60Hz and that is it.
This thing, now, pounds my old Velo into dust. I had no idea bass could feel this good, so tight, so clean, so hard. I am amazed, its like an entirely new sub and all for $10.
Thanks again for all your help guys.
Peace Out~:D

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
:emoji_thumbsup:!
Wow, polyfill should now be considered as one of those "Cheap Tweaks that work great" along with Mattes :)
How tight did you stuff the sub? Coz that site where TN did tests with stuffed subs says he fit 1.5lbs of polyfill into a 1.4cuft. enclosure. My enclosure is about that big, but it was filled almost to the brim (with empty space around the driver) after only 1lb, after patting it down pretty tight.
I assume polyester stuffing (which i used) is the same as Polyfill?
Congrats on your sub! :)

Cam S

Screenwriter
Hahaha, what a happy ending, I almost cried :frowning:
Good to hear about your first DIY project giving you so much joy. I know how you feel, I'm still jumping about my shiva!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Cam, you finished your Shiva? When did that happen and where are the pictures.

Great to hear Ron. I'm still a little surprised the polyfill made that big of a difference.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Dustin, I havn't build my final ported box yet, I've just been to busy with work. I'll be buying the MDF and everything else tomorrow, so I'll be able to start it on the weekend. Right now it's just in a 1.5cuft sealed box, and it sounds really good in that! I have a digital camera, so I'll be taking pics of the buildup.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Great to hear Ron. I'm still a little surprised the polyfill made that big of a difference.
You and I both. I knew I did not have enough in, but I had no idea it would make such a substantial difference, but hey, it did and I am very pleased.
Of course, I still need to calibrate. Did not have time last night. This weekend should yield some really good results.
Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks