Poltergeist: The Legacy coming to dvd...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by todd s, Nov 27, 2005.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

According to www.tvshowsondvd.com The tv series Poltergeist: The Legacy season one is coming in Feb. I remember catching this show towards the end of its run and wishing I saw them uncut. The first 3 seasons were on Showtime and the last on SciFi channel.

2. Brett*H

Brett*H Stunt Coordinator

Finally! This series has been on my want list for a very long time. I too remember watching this show when it first appeared on Showtime and then later on the SciFi channel.

Great writing/stories and an excellent cast made this show worth watching on Friday nights.

I'm definitely picking this one up.[​IMG]

3. John*D

John*D Second Unit

I will be getting this.

4. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    I will be considering this set... never seen the show before... though I do like horror related series. [​IMG]

5. Brett*H

The cover art has been released for this series at tvshowsondvd.com (sorry...pasted link to the news item but can't get it to work.)

Looks good!

The artwork looks similar to the French release of this dvd (the image on the bottom) but I like the Region 1 cover art better with the cast photos on the box.

>[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Brett*H

I see that 22 episodes are listed.That means the inclusion of the 2 pilots.Good news indeed!

I'm really excited about this release and have it on pre-order at Amazon.com already!

From the opening credit sequence: "Since the beginning of time mankind has existed between the world of light and the world of darkness. This journal chronicles the work of our secret society, known as The Legacy. Created to protect the innocent from those creatures that inhabit the shadows and the night."

Poltergeist: The Legacy:

Season 1

# Episodes: Air Date:
    • Pilot: Pilot (1) 4/21/1996
      2: Pilot (2) 4/21/1996
      3: Sins of the Father 4/26/1996
      4: Town Without Pity 5/3/1996
      5: The Tenement 5/10/1996
      6: The Twelfth Cave 5/17/1996
      7: Man in the Mist 5/24/1996
      8: Ghost in the Road 5/31/1996
      9: Doppleganger 6/7/1996
      10: The Substitute 6/14/1996
      11: Do Not Go Gently 6/21/1996
      12: The Crystal Scarab 6/28/1996
      13: The Bell of Girardius 7/12/1996
      14: Fox Spirit 7/19/1996
      15: The Thirteenth Generation 7/26/1996
      16: The Dark Priest 8/2/1996
      17: Revelations 8/16/1996
      18: Bones of St. Anthony 8/23/1996
      19: The Inheritance 8/30/1996
      20: The Signalman 9/6/1996
      21: The Reckoning 9/13/1996
      22: A Traitor Among Us 9/20/1996

7. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

I rented the first two discs the other night at Blockbuster and then bought the season at Wal-Mart (it actually is only $25, even Best Buy wasn't that cheap), i started watching them yesterday morning, i'm already on the third disc. This is one highly addicting show.

I notice some very familar names in the crew list:
    Brad Wright - Co-Creator/writer on/of Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis
    N. John Smith - Producer on SG-1 and Atlantis
    Brad Turner - Director on SG-1 and Atlantis

Anyway, I think this may be where the creator of the show Supernatural got his ideas, some are similar just the effects aren't as good here being a 1996 release and all. But nonetheless it's good. Derek de Lint while his accent grated on me at first it's cool and adds to the character. All the cast is good and serves their purpose from Derek right down to Kat and Rachel.

Wish I had caught this show on T.V. but at least it's on DVD, I can't wait for the rest of the seasons to complete this collection.

8. DwayneH

DwayneH Stunt Coordinator

My Wal-Mart also priced it at slightly under $25. Very strange price since I believe the retail price is $70. Even Amazon was $45. Now I pray we get the other seasons. It seemed to sell well around me so there may be hope. I hate it when you only get the 1st season on dvd and the rest are never released. This show deserves to have all the seasons released.

9. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I did see a sound boom in one shot of an episode (woops!). Look for it on disc 3.

10. Brett*H

I was very pleased with Poltergeist-The Legacy Season 1 release. I had caught it only a few times when it was on Showtime. After that,I only saw the first season it in it's edited forms on the Sci-Fi channel.

The show had some good writing through-out it's run but this first season has very little character development and jumps right into the action.

Quality-wise, the episodes look very good. There's some heavy graininess in some of the darker,shadowy scenes but overall the picture looks good.

The audio,in it's Dolby Stereo,is very nice but nothing exceptional.

The set is bare-bones with no extras at all but the episodes appear to be uncut and presented in their entirety which is the most important aspect of any dvd release,to me.

Just a side note for those with young viewers in their household: This first season is probably not suited for viewing by younger children. It originally aired on Showtime and some of the episodes are graphically violent and sexually explicit.

I'm really satisfied with this release and hope that we see the remaining 3 seasons on dvd.

11. David_Blackwell

I hope the other three seasons make it to DVD as well because from viewing some of the first and second season episodes, I think season 4 was the best season for PTL.

12. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    About a month ago I picked this up at Walmart for a little under $25.00. This morning I finally got around to checking it out. So far I only watched the pilot episode... but I loved it! This is an excellent show! Of course I love just about anything horror related anyway... so I was pretty sure I would. :p

13. Brett*H

I'm amazed how well this show was written. There's some really good episodes in this season with "The Bell of Girardius" being one of my favorite "creepiest" episodes.

PTL reminds me of an updated "Friday the 13th: The Series". Another show that had some quality writing to it and a show that we need to see released to dvd,in season sets,sooner than later.

14. Will_C

Will_C Second Unit

Will
    I loved this show too, at least the eps that I was able to catch. I have to say my favorite one was when the succubus fell in love with Nick, and he still had to entomb her. I checked out the ep list for the show at tv.com and realized I've seen very little of the show as a whole. It also seems that the succubus managed to get loose and came looking for Nick.

I also loved Friday the 13th: The Series and was reminded of it watching this show. Hope they get all of F13 and the rest of PTL out to us soon. I'd also love to get the final season of Forever Knight.

15. David_Blackwell

16. Brett*H

Sadly, it sounds as though there are no plans for any more releases of this series.

I was re-watching some of the episodes last night and did a search at the MGM website for any news on more season releases but found nothing.

I shot them an email at [email protected] asking about season 2 and beyond on dvd and received the following message this morning in my email messages:

"Thank you for your email. No plans have been announced, but stay tuned! You can keep abreast of all major MGM product announcements through our Lion’s Roar newsletter. To sign up visit: http://www.mgm.com/register/newslett...?sourceid=1001

We appreciate that you took the time to let us know your thoughts and hope you continue to support MGM.

Thanks for visiting mgm.com!

MGM ONLINE "

I'm not sure what to make of this as 'no plans have been announced' could mean anything.

Nevertheless, it was disheartening news..........[​IMG]

17. nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk Supporting Actor

i would love to get the rest of the seasons of this show on dvd, one of my fave blind buys ever

18. nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk Supporting Actor

Poltergeist: In the Shadows is being released in 2009 in cinemas maybe they will do another release then, don't want to have to wait that long but if its our only hope, who knows

19. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    People probably know about this already, but as it hasn't been posted about in threads with "Poltergeist The Legacy" in the thread titles (I just did a forum search in this folder with the words "Poltergeist The Legacy" and found this was the most recently posted in thread), I'll post it now. The second season of Poltergeist: The Legacy is coming out next month. There have been one or two new news articles posted on TVShowsOnDVD in the last two and a bit months about the season two release. The URL link to the latest news article for the show is below:

Poltergeist: The Legacy: The Second Season - TVShowsOnDVD.com news article