Poltergeist Special Edition?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony R, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Anthony R

Anthony R Stunt Coordinator

Any word on the Poltergeist 20th Anniversary Edition that has been reported (DVD File Studio Day report)? I see it listed at several sites but no info on a release date or what extras there will be. Thanks

Anthony

2. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

Hear Hear!!! I love this movie and am dying to see it get the proper treatment it deserves! It still scares the willies out of me!

3. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I'd re-buy this in a heartbeat - a great fright film without resorting to spurting blood and flying organs...

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I don't own Poltergeist yet. I would buy it if an SE were released. I'd like to see it come out in the near future. Perhaps JoBeth and Craig T. could run a commentary...

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

6. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I want this one too, but I hope they can come up with a restored print. I have yet to see a home video version of this film that looks all that good. For such a slick production, it's always look dated and "orangey" on video.

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

8. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I'd buy this in a heartbeat, especially if Steven Spielberg recorded a director's commentary. [​IMG]

9. Dave Dahl

Dave Dahl Stunt Coordinator

Steven Spielberg didn't direct the movie.

-Dave

10. Roby Adams

Roby Adams Stunt Coordinator

11. Anthony R

Anthony R Stunt Coordinator

The "jump cut" has been in all versions of the movie and all formats. I guess it must be part of the movie itself.

I think it would be really cool if Tobe Hooper gave a candid commentary about how much Spielberg was really involved.

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

13. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The rumors aren't so much based on the quality of Hooper's direction abilities as they are based upon how the directorial style of Poltergeist is much more like Spielberg's style than Hooper's own style.

Anthony, do you remember that cut being in the theatrical version? On page that I linked to, they only had access as far back as the laserdisc version, and could not even verify its presence on the early VHS releases.

-Dave

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Spielberg has only taken three "screenplay" credits for theatrical films and Poltergeist was one of them. That could have something to do with it as well. I'm sure he was an active producer, but that doesn't mean that Hooper was run roughshod over. It's sort of like how Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas was directed by Henry Selick. When the producer is the writer, directors tend to collaborate.

Regards,

15. Roby Adams

Roby Adams Stunt Coordinator

Here is some more info about the question of who did what on Poltergeist.
    Note: When they reference "The Others" they are talking about the TV show and not the recent Nicole Kidman film.

16. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

Wasnt there a annoucement about Poltergiest 2 as well on that studio day? I havent seen anything on that either.

17. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

It's a real shame about that weird cut. When I bought the DVD it had been at least 8 years since I had seen the movie.

I actually stopped the movie and wiped the disk, sorting through the chapters, wiping it again, popped it in my computer... tried all sorts of things. Thins kinda ruined the magic. I considerd returning the dvd, but it was too late for that.

If there's ever a more complete version of the movie, I'd be the first in line.

18. Peter Avellino

This whole thing about the weird cut is approaching Al Capone's Vault-level frenzy. And like Capone's vault, there's nothing there. The cut's in the movie. I saw a 35mm print a few years ago and that's the way it is. So if you think you have a faulty version of the movie because of the cut, well, you don't.

As for a special edition, that would be great, but do you really think they'd fess up and reveal how much of this movie is not the work of Tobe Hooper?

19. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

Do you realy think they ment for it to be that way? I don't think Speilberg would blemish a project he was so close to. Oh well, if there's ever a commentary, perhaps we'll get an explanation for that as well.

20. Peter Avellino

I have no way of knowing whether or not they meant for it to be that way. Maybe it was intentional. Maybe it was a stylistic choice, a means to get from one scene to the next as fast as possible. Sure that's just a crazy guess, but my point is this: The cut is in the original film, so it's de facto not a mistake. All video versions are correct.