What's new

Poltergeist SE (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I also like the cut & and I have to say that it is one edit that I don't understand why people seem to have a problem with it....seems pretty clear to me and others, Steve is basically in shock at the odd happenings, trying to take it all in with a cacophony of things going on around him while Diane is going on & on excitedly about it with Carol Ann also demanding food over and over - "flash" - cut to the neighbors door...it is basically a humorous cut.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Never gave it a moment's thought until I joined this forum

Some info about this would be nice. Wasn't this right about the time it opened in theaters? Although, I guess they're likely going for a Halloween release. When are DVD released in that timeframe usually announced?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

So is this going to turn out to be another unfulfilled promise. I mean over 4 months since the first word about it, at least in this thread. Then nothing.

WTF is wrong with these studios. American President was supposedly re-released anamorphic, new box, same disc. The Mrs Doubtfire was supposed to be re-released anamorphic. A few discs hit a few stores, then it's pulled. Paramount announced THE KEEP a few years ago, reneged, nothing since. BVHE announced CRIMSON TIDE and ENEMY OF THE STATE, reneged, then it was months before they finally carried through with those titles.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
In Germany it's already appearing in the first Warner release plan lists for later this year, so I'm fairly certain an R1 release will happen this year, too.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
I agree, if it really is coming this year, we ought to be getting the announcement soon given that DELIVERANCE (a Sept title) has been announced, as was CRUISING.

When was the last time Warner issued a SE overseas and not in R1? I'm guessing it's going to happen, I just am overly anxious ;)

Haden

Supporting Actor

Doesn't mean they have to release it in June. An "anniversary" release can be released any time of the anniversary YEAR.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Maybe the "cut" has been there since the premiere (there's no evidence either way) but I saw a sneak preview a few weeks before it opened and the "cut" was NOT there. I remember saying WTF when I saw it again. The scene definitely went on longer, there is no doubt in my mind.

But..........whatever;)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I'm not saying that the scene was, from inception, meant to "cut" at that point, hell there are countless scenes in films that go on much longer in deleted scenes than in the final cut....but the actual edit in the film itself is fine by me & doesn't seem at all odd or jolting....just humorous. IMO.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
wow, this looks great. I was actually at Borders looking at horror DVD's yesterday with my partner and when I saw Poltergeist commented that I really wish a 25th anniversary DVD of it comes out, only to come here and see it is coming. SWEET!

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
OCTOBER 9th:

POLTERGEIST: 25TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION

At least, according to my video store distributor, which is very, very official.

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator

I agree. I remember Spielberg mentioning that he attended a screening of Lawrence of Arabia reissue and David Lean was sitting next to him talking about specific scenes and explaining behind the scenes stuff about the movie as they watched it. He recalled it was an amazing and rich experience that he enjoyed it so much. If it was so marvellous, why can't we enjoy the same experience with HIS films?

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I don't know what's more scary: the movie, or that it's been 25 years.

As for the "cut", I was going to suggest finding someone with a 35mm print, but Chris has one and now we know it's not a video transfer error. That's what I like about having 35mm prints, people can say "it should be this way" and you whip out a print and say "nope, sorry" or "yup, you're right".

One thing I'd like to see fixed is when The Beast (I think in the novel his name was G'Thara or something) is seen and Jobeth Williams runs from it, you see his mouth through her shirt. Really annoying.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

No, I've got the Lawrence disc with that featurette and Spielberg actually identifies that screening with Lean as one of the highlights of his life. At the time, I also thought that his statement sounded a tad hypocritical.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The story makes a helluva lot more sense my way. :)

I don't think it quite qualifies as hypocritical though. As much as I'd love to hear a commentary from Speilberg, some 'artists' just want to let the movie speak for itself.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
OK we've got official releases on BLADE RUNNER, the KUBRICKs, and TWILIGHT ZONE...so where's POLTERGEIST guys?!?! Bring it on!! :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

I don't see why it's hypocritical. Nearly all his films on DVD have lengthy and extensive documentaries. The docs for Close Encounters, Jaws, and E.T. are all over 90 minutes, which is feature-length. For all we know, he has the commentary charisma of Tim Burton.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks