What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Poltergeist (1982) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

POLTERGEIST_WW_4KOSLV_FINALSKEW_2D_1000810711[1].jpg

They’re heeere …

“Poltergeist is like a thoroughly enjoyable nightmare…in a fashion that Alfred Hitchcock might have appreciated.” – Vincent Canby, New York Times

POLTERGEIST

COMES TO 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAYTM COMBO PACK AND DIGITAL FROM WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT

THE LANDMARK HORROR FILM

WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 4K RESOLUTION WITH

HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE (HDR)

Own it September 20 on 4K Ultra HD and Digital

Burbank, Calif., August 11, 2022 – Poltergeist, the 1982 classic horror film written by Steven Spielberg and directed by Tobe Hooper, will be released on Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack and Digital on September 20, it was announced today by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.

Directed by Spielberg and directed by Hooper, Poltergeist stars JoBeth Williams, Craig T. Nelson, Zelda Rubinstein, Beatrice Straight and Heather O’Rourke.

The screenplay for Poltergeist was written by Spielberg, Michael Grais, and Mark Victor, from a story by Spielberg. The film was produced by Frank Marshall and Spielberg.

Ultra HD* showcases 4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and a wider color spectrum, offering consumers brighter, deeper, more lifelike colors for a home entertainment viewing experience like never before.   

Poltergeistwill be available on Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack for $24.99 ERP and includes an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc with the feature film in 4K with HDR and a Digital download of the film. Fans can also own Poltergeist in 4K Ultra HD via purchase from select digital retailers beginning on September 20.  

About the Film:

Suburbanites Steve (Nelson) and Diane (Williams) suddenly experience paranormal activity in their home. What starts off as minor excitement quickly turns into nasty ghostly encounters. The disappearance of their daughter Carol Anne (O’Rourke) forces the Freelings to bring in parapsychologists and a professional exorcist to exorcise their home. Directed by Tobe Hooper and featuring Oscar Nominated Visual Effects by Richard Edlund, Michael Wood and Bruce Nicholson, Poltergeist is one of the most entertaining horror films of its time.

Ultra HD Blu-ray Elements

Poltergeist Blu-ray contains the following previously released special features:

• "They Are Here: The Real World of Poltergeists Pt. 1- Science of the Spirits" RT: 15:30
  • "They Are Here: The Real World of Poltergeists Pt. 2- Communing with the Dead" RT: 15:31
  • "The Making of Poltergeist" RT: 7:15
  • Trailer RT: 2:25

DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION ELEMENTS

On 09/20/22, Poltergeist4K UHDwill be available to own for streaming and download to watch anywhere in high definition and standard definition on favorite devices from select digital retailers and will be made available digitally on Video On Demand services from cable and satellite providers, and on select gaming consoles.

BASICS

PRODUCT                                                                                ERP

Ultra HD Blu-ray                                               $24.99*

Standard Street Date: 09/20/22

EST Street Date: 09/2022

Ultra HD Blu-ray Languages: English, Spanish, French

Ultra HD Blu-ray Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Parisian French

Run Time: 114 minutes

Rating: PG​

poltergeist.png

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Best Buy SteelBook

4828fb407a6a1c680d&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true"></iframe>
[/parsehtml]

Last edited:

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
It's been common knowledge for a long time that this film was directed by Mr Spielberg and not by Tobe Hooper and I've previously provided an anecdote that may be interesting to anyone about to buy this new version.

When I worked for a video facilities company we once made tv studio set inserts for a feature film, of a title that I've long forgotten.

Tobe Hooper was the director and sat in the production gallery where he appeared to be dazzled and overwhelmed by the simultaneous presence of our video cameras and his film cameras. He said virtually nothing, such that my cat would have been at least as effective a director, and the shoot proceeded because the First AD stood behind him and organised the whole thing. Each time he observed the courtesy of checking with Mr Hooper he received a muttered agreement, signifying bafflement as to what was going on.

I was inches away in the adjoining sound control room, with a window between us, so saw it all very clearly.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I haven’t followed the story about this film- why didn’t Spielberg take credit as the director?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I haven’t followed the story about this film- why didn’t Spielberg take credit as the director?
Because Spielberg didn't direct it. I'm sure that Spielberg would jump in whenever he wanted to but that doesn't mean that he directed the movie. That's what got the rumors going and Spielberg felt he had to take out an ad in The Hollywood Reporter (or Variety) to say how it was Hooper's movie.

To me, the sad thing is that Hooper is really only remembered for two movies and he's been robbed of the credit for one of them only for the credit to be given to the most acclaimed director of all time.

EDIT: And no, it's not proof that Spielberg directed the movie because he wore a hat that said "Producer/Director". :laugh:

Last edited:

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
That trailer gives away an awful lot considering the film is old enough that there's a whole generation who might not be very familiar with it.

And I know it's the film that matters, not the cover art, but those have to be some of the worst covers I've ever seen.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Because Spielberg didn't direct it. I'm sure that Spielberg would jump in whenever he wanted to but that doesn't mean that he directed the movie. That's what got the rumors going and Spielberg felt he had to take out an ad in The Hollywood Reporter (or Variety) to say how it was Hooper's movie.

To me, the sad thing is that Hooper is really only remembered for two movies and he's been robbed of the credit for one of them only for the credit to be given to the most acclaimed director of all time.

Most accounts from the production say that Spielberg was much more involved on set than a typical producer, and several of the cast members have said that he directed them, not Hooper. Certainly, the movie has his imprint all over it, and feels more akin to a Spielberg movie than to, say, Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Spielberg was on top of the world after Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders, and the imminent release of E.T. He was also known for having a pretty big ego at that time. My assumption is that he wasn't happy with the way the movie was shaping up, and stepped in whenever he felt he needed to set it right, which was a lot. And Tobe Hooper was smart enough not to feud with the most powerful producer/director in Hollywood, so he let him.

But Hooper officially had the job title of Director. Because Spielberg was under contract to Universal for E.T., he was prohibited from claiming director credit on Poltergeist as well. The ad he took out in the trades was likely a professional courtesy to Hooper, and a way to reassure other industry professionals that this was not a "troubled" production.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Most accounts from the production say that Spielberg was much more involved on set than a typical producer, and several of the cast members have said that he directed them, not Hooper. Certainly, the movie has his imprint all over it, and feels more akin to a Spielberg movie than to, say, Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Spielberg also wrote the screenplay, so it seems only natural that he may have been more invested in the finished product. But Spielberg himself has gone to great lengths to give director credit to Hooper, so I'd believe him.

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Spielberg also wrote the screenplay, so it seems only natural that he may have been more invested in the finished product. But Spielberg himself has gone to great lengths to give director credit to Hooper, so I'd believe him.

Had Spielberg attempted to take director credit, he would have been in breach of his contract to Universal. He had both legal and financial reasons to affirm that Hooper was sole director. Also, it wouldn't have been a particulary good look for him PR-wise to admit publicly that he strong-armed the director and took over someone else's movie.

Some relevant quotes...

JoBeth Williams:

"It was a collaboration with Steven having the final say. Tobe had his own input, but I think we knew that Steven had the final say. Steven is a strong-minded person and knew what he wanted.

Frank Marshall (same article):

"It all depends on your definition of director. The job of the producer is to get the film finished, and that's what we did. The creative force on this movie was Steven. Tobe was the director and was on the set every day. But Steven did the design for every story board and he was on the set every day except for three days when he was in Hawaii with [George] Lucas."

Mick Garris:

"Tobe was always calling action and cut. Tobe had been deeply involved in all of the preproduction and everything. But Steven is a guy who will come in and call the shots. And so, you’re on your first studio film, hired by Steven. I mean, Tobe directed that movie, Steven Spielberg had a lot to do with directing that movie, too.”

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Day One purchase for me. The original flipper DVD I own (when Warner had the distribution rights) looks ATROCIOUS being upscaled to 2160p resolution on a 65-inch display, especially those opening credits -- yikes!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think the production of Poltergeist more closely resembled a television series than a feature film, with Hooper coming in as a hired hand who had to work within very specific parameters, and Spielberg as the showrunner who who set the style and had final say.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
40 years later and people are still debating who actually directed this film. I think it's time to let it go already especially since Tobe is unfortunately no longer around anymore, the man seemed to have made piece with the film before he passed away so should we already.

This 40th Anniversary edition should have been the beyond long over due Special Edition this film has been rightly deprived of all these years. WB clearly hates this film, as they've shown hardly any love to it since they acquired home video distribution rights from MGM.

After 40 years and this film being treated like it has been is enough that some other studio or company needs to liberate it and give it the long over due treatment and love it deserves. Both 20th Anniversaries for this and Beetlejuice were embarrassing. WB hyped up both of those editions so much that it had me and other fans thinking they were going to be worthwhile and both end up being beyond underwhelming.

Unlike other films like Beetlejuice, WB has shown next to no interest in this particular film. It could easily be one of their big cash cow titles as it's as popular as the ghost with the most, but for whatever reason they have they just don't care about it. When's the last time you've ever seen any merchandise for this film? The Shining, Beetlejuice, IT (1990) all those you see new items every year practically, but not Poltergeist though unless it's repackaged on DVD and Blu-ray.

Last edited:

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Saw this movie only a few months ago.

It's a brilliant movie and really holds up well as a standout film from the decade.

Not sure if Spielberg directed it or not but if he did I would regard it as one of his best movies.

I really think it is that good.

The effects are great and everything just seems to work for me.

If this turns out to be a good transfer and a major improvement over the blu ray I will probably buy this 4k upgrade and will be the first time doing so from a blu ray I already have.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
40 years later and people are still debating who actually directed this film. I think it's time to let it go already especially since Tobe is unfortunately no longer around anymore, the man seemed to have made piece with the film before he passed away so should we already.

This 40th Anniversary edition should have been the beyond long over due Special Edition this film has been rightly deprived of all these years. WB clearly hates this film, as they've shown hardly any love to it since they acquired home video distribution rights from MGM.

After 40 years and this film being treated like it has been is enough that some other studio or company needs to liberate it and give it the long over due treatment and love it deserves. Both 20th Anniversaries for this and Beetlejuice were embarrassing. WB hyped up both of those editions so much that it had me and other fans thinking they were going to be worthwhile and both end up being beyond underwhelming.

Unlike other films like Beetlejuice, WB has shown next to no interest in this particular film. It could easily be one of their big cash cow titles as it's as popular as the ghost with the most, but for whatever reason they have they just don't care about it. When's the last time you've ever seen any merchandise for this film? The Shining, Beetlejuice, IT (1990) all those you see new items every year practically, but not Poltergeist though unless it's repackaged on DVD and Blu-ray.
Agreed on the first paragraph. Regarding any sort of Special Edition, it comes down to the usual cost/benefit analysis. I don't think WB hates this film, but I do think that there is a certain stigma attached to the film because of the so-called "Poltergeist curse", which may explain a certain reticence to discuss the film for any anniversary edition by those involved. [FWIW, I don't think the film is cursed, but given certain events surrounding it and its sequels, I can understand any hesitation to discuss the film by those involved, out of fear interviewers might bring up the so-called curse or attempt to relitigate the whole "who's the real director here" issue]. I also think that any licencee would run into these exact same problems if they tried to create additional content with any of the surviving parties.

Also, the only merchandise I would see any value to would be one of the following: a t-shirt reproducing the original poster art, a miniature of the Freeling house, and lastly [in priority as well as desirability, mostly because I HATE clowns], a reproduction of the clown doll from the film.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I think the production of Poltergeist more closely resembled a television series than a feature film, with Hooper coming in as a hired hand who had to work within very specific parameters, and Spielberg as the showrunner who who set the style and had final say.

That's a great analogy.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Had Spielberg attempted to take director credit, he would have been in breach of his contract to Universal. He had both legal and financial reasons to affirm that Hooper was sole director. Also, it wouldn't have been a particulary good look for him PR-wise to admit publicly that he strong-armed the director and took over someone else's movie.

Some relevant quotes...

JoBeth Williams:

Frank Marshall (same article):

Mick Garris:
Nothing about these quotes surprise me. Spielberg was the producer which technically makes him the ultimate boss, and for all we know Hooper might have always known that Spielberg was going to be very hands on

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Agreed on the first paragraph. Regarding any sort of Special Edition, it comes down to the usual cost/benefit analysis. I don't think WB hates this film, but I do think that there is a certain stigma attached to the film because of the so-called "Poltergeist curse", which may explain a certain reticence to discuss the film for any anniversary edition by those involved. [FWIW, I don't think the film is cursed, but given certain events surrounding it and its sequels, I can understand any hesitation to discuss the film by those involved, out of fear interviewers might bring up the so-called curse or attempt to relitigate the whole "who's the real director here" issue]. I also think that any licencee would run into these exact same problems if they tried to create additional content with any of the surviving parties.

Also, the only merchandise I would see any value to would be one of the following: a t-shirt reproducing the original poster art, a miniature of the Freeling house, and lastly [in priority as well as desirability, mostly because I HATE clowns], a reproduction of the clown doll from the film.

Shout Factory's Scream Factory released the sequels loaded with special features back in 2017, so it's not like no one wants to talk about the film and the whole "curse" was a good publicity story and made for a few urban legends as well.

I've seen shirts mostly with Carol Anne and TV or just the TV. The Freeling house miniature snow globe that could be fun the shake around. Pennywise from both versions of IT has taken the place of Poltergeist's clown unfortunately as I never seen it anywhere as either as a Halloween costume or as a decoration.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

i thought it had been pretty widely believed that Spielberg himself may have put the kibosh on an elaborate special edition, as supposedly some years back WB was planning one. Perhaps Spielberg didn‘t want to tread on the issue of who “really” directed. There are plenty of people who were involved in the production who were willing to talk about it, I remember E! did a True Hollywood story on the movie that had involvement from cast/crew. Also aren‘t there some deleted scenes? The full “I hate Pizza Hut“ exchange etc.

I know this aired in early tv broadcasts and it probably how many people saw it for the first time

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks