Polt RTi8 and RTi10 in comparison to Infinity - why so good?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by CharlieMakavoy, Apr 10, 2004.

1. CharlieMakavoy

CharlieMakavoy Auditioning

Many sites on the internet have compared these Polks to other speakers as saying they sound like the others with a blanket taken off them. Especially the clarity compared to the Infinities(they are often compared to their brot hers sitting by them in Circuit City), which are noticeably cheaper.

I listened to them with the same receiver, and a lot of different music in the room in CC, and, even though they were far more expensive than the Infinity Alpha 50s, they sounded very thin in my opinion. Like a boombox, in comparison. It wasn't the bass - even when setting it to send all signals below 80 hz to the sub and lowering the volume to 0 on the sub's end, the Infinities sounded fuller, and even some of the other brands in the store that I didn't get the name of. They sounded the same, just with a lot of sound missing in places it should've been, and with peaks where they shouldn'tve been.

Yet, the reviews across the internet for these not only make the Infinities out to look like crap, yet make them out to look very good.

I'm wondering if anyone shares this opinion of these two speakers in comparison to others in the price range, because a lot of this site has the same opinion on the Polks and it's leading me to believe I have very unique ears here.

2. DarrenHo

DarrenHo Stunt Coordinator

i was considering getting polks.i was very underwelmed when hearing them at cc. not the best listening environment but i just didn't care for them. friend bought some jbl e20s that i thought sounded better. i got the infinity primus 150s and don't think the polks of the same price range are even close.
    just realilzed you're talking about much higher priced prods that i was. don't know that my comments really relate in this thread.

3. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Charlie,
    Circuit City stores are not good places to get a demo of speakers other than to see what they look like. Usually they're standing up on hollow platforms, connected with zip cord, switched through goodness knows what to a low end receiver, and then high-passed. Circuit City's return policies are liberal though, so I'd suggest taking a pair home to see what they really sound like when they're in your home. Unless you damage the speakers somehow you have nothing to lose but time, and maybe a little back strain because the RTi8s and RTi10s are quite heavy. I've also listened to Infinity speakers in Circuit City and found them to sound quite good but a little more constrained in midrange and high frequencies than the current line of Polk RTi speakers (not that that means much since I didn't take the Infinitys home though). If you're thinking of getting Polks and a strong subwoofer for a home theater, I'd suggest the RTi8s over the RTi10s--less expensive, easier to power, but cleaner in the midrange when run from a receiver.

4. CharlieMakavoy

Mark, thanks for the info. I wasn't exactly easy on the man there. I checked, they used some Monster cables, and I took them down, put them on the floor right next to each other on each side, about 8 feet away from each other, and kept plugging them back and forth between the same Onkyo receiver, and closed the doors in the room. It was a halfway decent listening environment.

I did the same with a pair of Athenas in Best Buy, I compared them to the rest, similarly placed, in the same crappy listening environment, and what I liked I took note of, and even in better dealers with real setups, I found that I still had the same opinions of them. In the same listening environment, whatever sounds least bad is what I take note of to listen to in a real store later, or trial at home.

I do indeed intend to take the Infinities home to make sure they fit my needs, in my listening environment over time before I make a final decision on them. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Actually, most CC listening rooms now have either a 900 series Onko or one of the H/K receivers (AVR-630) in them. Or, at least this has been the case of the stores I've been to.

I also though I'd like the Polk RTi6 speakers. After hearing them a few times, I've changed my thoughts. It would be great to have them for an evening in my house, but I don't think CC is into "loaning" speakers out for the night.

6. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

CC has a very liberal return policy. buy a pair. take 'em back if you don't like 'em.

7. CharlieMakavoy

Oh, and one thing about placement in the store - I suggest bringing bass test tones on a CD with you. They were originally placed so you couldn't feel any bass at all, even with 16, 20, 25, and 35 hz test tones playing through them at _close_ to full volume. After I had them on the floor and positioned correctly, the bass was loud, tight, and you could feel it, with each bass test tone, and the Infinities played great into 16 hz(although I thought the woofers were going to fly off, they were moving in and out way more than with the other speakers there. [​IMG] ). After that, the music sounded noticeably better.