Polls in Software forum...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Gregory, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Maybe it is me, but there seems to be a lot of poll question threads popping up in the Software forum.

Open now include,

"What did you buy on February 26th?"

"What are you getting on March 5th?"

If I could understand the need for these threads it would make sense to me, but I can't. Just seems like filler...

-Chad

2. Chad Gregory

I'm going to back off slightly, because I can't find any other examples. But if someone can explain the need (appropriateness?) of being in the Software forum I'd love to hear it.

-Chad

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It's one of those borderline calls, Chad. Since the posts are about DVD releases, they may as well stay there. They are not, in my view, formal or informal "polls," per se, but are instead the posts of enthusiasts who like to talk to other enthusiasts about how the occasional "super Tuesday" will cripple their checking accounts and credit cards.

A "true" poll, as posted in "Polls," would be along the lines of, say, "What Tuesday release roster set you back the most?" It's a fine distinction, sure, but it works for now.

Thanks!

4. Chad Gregory

Jack,

It's not my call, and I'm not questioning any of the individuals making the call, just wondered where the line was.

I guess I'm looking at it this way, as a software thread it lacks useful information. Sort of the typical dvdtalk thread. Such as, what did you watch last weekend?, what are you buying this week? what are you buying next week? Personally I don't find them informative, but like I said it is definitely not my call, and I will go with whatever the rules are defined as.

I agree that some discussion, such as April 2nd is going to hurt my wallet is useful. But is what are you bringing home on February 26th, really a useful discussion.

I'm rambling, and I'll leave it alone from here on out.

-Chad

5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Chad,

You don't have to feel guilty about this.

I understand where you are coming from.

As Jack said, it's just so borderline that

we generally leave that stuff alone.

Something that is a YES or NO poll is going

to get moved a lot faster than a poll that

deals with upcoming DVD releases posted in the

software area.

Sometimes we just don't like to over-moderate

around here and let some things slide.