Llappin

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Leila
I hope that it will make a come back. I cannot understand why the industry doesn't apply some research to make the 3D glasses work better instead of throwing away the whole technology.

Llappin

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Leila
I hope that it will make a come back. I cannot understand why the industry doesn't apply some research to make the 3D glasses work better instead of throwing away the whole technology.
By the way I find 4K very gimmicky. I can't see the big deal in watching something 4K.

Ten8yp

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Nathan Elmore
No. 3D in home is dead. I think I got my Mitsubishi 3D equipment out a total of 3 times in the 78 I've owned it.

And I wish it would die in the theater. Cant count how many times I have wished I could see a movie in IMAX in standard format. 3D has absolutely zero benefit and the trade is to have to wear uncomfortable glasses which cause headaches and limit viewing enjoyment. Unfortunately they will never get rid of it because they can charge more for tickets.

sathron

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Scott
I certainly hope so in some way....bought a 2016 OLED jus so I could keep 3D. There are several movies that are phenomenal in 3D and really disappointed that it is soon to be a dead format!

Widerman

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Steven Widerman
3D rules, but only with a decent display, and those displays are (at least temporarily) missing-in-action. I own the last 2016 LG OLED 65" display to offer passive 3D and it's absolutely awesome. Better by far than any plasma active set, and I've owned two of those. I recently watched the live-action BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (2016) from an imported 3D disc (not available in the U.S.) and continue to be blown away by the immersive quality of the image.

Europeans apparently enjoy 3D more than we do on our home screens, yet the format continues to thrive in domestic theaters. We can try to analyze why this is (3D t.v. isn't easily available here anymore, and there is still confusion here regarding passive vs. active, proper set-ups are difficult, etc.), but the fact remains, the format was finally damn near perfected on the most recent OLED displays just before the format went south.

I agree that the format will come back at some point, either temporarily or permanently, but for those of us who have heavily invested in the recent 3D wave (I own over 160 3D Blu-rays), this retreat from the format by display manufacturers seems very much like treason. These corporations (Disney, etc.) lured us into spending a lot of money on 3D, then simply pulled the rug out from under us. Yeah, typical corporate bullshit -- draw them in, take their money, abandon them. Bait and Switch.

I was fortunate to obtain my 65" LG OLED display with 3D at a reasonable price. These are growing scarce. Whether any online petitions for the re-introduction of 3D on newer sets actually produces results, my thinking is that they either do this now, or risk losing a considerable base of 3D collectors and leaving behind a very resentful faction of avid collectors.

3D should be a mainstay for those of us who purchase and love it. This should not be likened to a MacDonald's sandwich that has fallen out of favor and becomes unavailable.
I totally agree with you. Additionally, 3D is beloved by children outside the USA. The next generation of viewers in other parts of the world see 2D as “flat” and uninteresting. 3D without glasses is coming. Content creators have only scratched the surface of how to use 3D effectively as a dramatic device. Most conversions are fake 3D and have hurt the market. (Wizard of Oz is a rare exception - which, if you haven’t seen in 3D, well ,,, it’s like seeing it for the first time.)

Please continue to support the home format. Import those 3D discs, ask for 3D TVs when you are browsing in the store, and attend 3D showings in theaters. Money talks! My home theater 3D is as good or better than the movie theater experience.

Radioman970

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
James Perry
I've been an adjusting fool with my settings and finally watched Alice in Wonderland 3D yesterday after all that and it was jawdropping. Active glasses and alll. Almost no crosstalky. It was so good my brain finally noticed I have my center speaker 1.5" over the center bottom of the screen and started messin with my dimensional processing so I ordered a TV cart to solve all!

I've really only used passive in IMAX but I think mine at home is better. :p I can't stop buying and upgrading my silly old BD to 3D ones. I ordered In the Heart of the Sea 3D yesterday, with 3D and Atmos...!! are you kiddin me!!! My moby is tingling!!! (sorry about that... ) And over the weekend Jack the Giant Slayer 3D! Both flat ones go to mom since she'll love those movies even flat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard V

Dick

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Rick
3D in home is dead.
Not as long as I own a 3D capable OLED and some 170 3D Blu-rays, it isn't! Plus, new titles continue to dribble out, both here and overseas. And, with regard to your "3D in home [sic] is dead" remark, tell that to Mr. Furmaneck & Co. I understand what you are saying, due to lack of support from the manufacturers of displays and from Disney and a few other studios, and the new emphasis on 4K, but look what's on the docket for 2018 insofar as 3D Blu-ray release goes between here and Europe: BLADE RUNNER 2049, TERMINATOR 2 3D, COCO; STAR WARS PART VIII: THE LAST JEDI, SANGAREE, THE MAZE, I THE JURY, etc. etc. No, I ain't throwin' in my towel (besides...I have only one towel ;)).

Last edited:

RolandL

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I have been watching 3D at home since the 1980's when the Japanese VHD system came out and haven't stopped since. In the 1990s, 3DTV Corp had a 3D system with LCD shutter glasses and 3D movies on VHS tape. Later 3D titles came out on DVD - many of them still not on Blu-ray 3D (Andy Warhol's Frankenstein, Friday the 13th Part 3 in 3D, etc.). 3D at home will never die.

TJPC

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Terry Carroll
No. 3D in home is dead. I think I got my Mitsubishi 3D equipment out a total of 3 times in the 78 I've owned it.

And I wish it would die in the theater. Cant count how many times I have wished I could see a movie in IMAX in standard format. 3D has absolutely zero benefit and the trade is to have to wear uncomfortable glasses which cause headaches and limit viewing enjoyment. Unfortunately they will never get rid of it because they can charge more for tickets.
I disagree with you completely on every point you make. I have never gone to the theatre to see a flat version of a 3D movie and never would.

Edwin-S

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score

I never get what it is with people like yourself? You guys don't like it, so nobody else should be able to enjoy it either? For the record though, IMAX announced some time ago that they would be dropping 3D presentations and focusing on 2D. They have decided to become just like any other plain Vanilla theatre brand. They will have nothing left to differentiate themselves from any of the other Alphabet soup formats that have sprung up as competitors to their digital IMAX brand; however, at least your wish has been granted.

Edit: Also, I don't quite get your complaint about not being able to see "standard format" films in IMAX. There are lots of Hollywood films presented flat in IMAX theatres.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard V

TJPC

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Why are some films still in 3D IMAX? We saw the latest Thor and Star Wars there. Is there a date when this stops?

Edwin-S

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score
They are phasing them out. I don't believe that they will entirely drop them, but there will be a lot fewer 3D films playing in IMAX over time. IMAX appears to be moving toward VR becoming a thing. Apparently, they have opened a facility kitted with VR helmets. People don't want to wear a pair of 3 oz glasses for a couple of hours but IMAX management figures they'll jump at wearing a 2 lb helmet. Imagine. Going to a movie with a wife or friend so you can feel like you are alone while watching it. :laugh:

Tony Bensley

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Anthony
They are phasing them out. I don't believe that they will entirely drop them, but there will be a lot fewer 3D films playing in IMAX over time. IMAX appears to be moving toward VR becoming a thing. Apparently, they have opened a facility kitted with VR helmets. People don't want to wear a pair of 3 oz glasses for a couple of hours but IMAX management figures they'll jump at wearing a 2 lb helmet. Imagine. Going to a movie with a wife or friend so you can feel like you are alone while watching it. :laugh:
I suspect the 2 lb helmet will go over like a 2 lb lead balloon! :D

Perhaps the IMAX people will reconsider the 3 oz 3-D glasses once the VR helmet thing sinks like a stone? I'm no expert, but I just don't see that trend flying, as anything VR never seems to get much past the initial "WOW, Isn't that super awesome!" demonstration stage for the niche within a niche crowd. Just my opinion.

CHEERS! :)

Reactions: Radioman970

LouA

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I bought 2 TV sets during the past 2 years . It was difficult to find a 3D TV in 55 inch and 43 inch sizes . So I didn't get one even though I have two 3d capable Blue ray players . So I've stopped looking for 3 D BD's .

Tony Bensley

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Anthony
I bought 2 TV sets during the past 2 years . It was difficult to find a 3D TV in 55 inch and 43 inch sizes . So I didn't get one even though I have two 3d capable Blue ray players . So I've stopped looking for 3 D BD's .
I gave up on the idea of there ever being a 3-D TV in our price range once I discovered that the manufacturers began dropping the feature. :(

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Why are some films still in 3D IMAX? We saw the latest Thor and Star Wars there. Is there a date when this stops?
They are phasing them out. I don't believe that they will entirely drop them, but there will be a lot fewer 3D films playing in IMAX over time.
It's depends on the studio.

To begin with, in the wake of Dunkirk, Warner as a studio has made a new policy that all of their IMAX releases will be 2D only, regardless of whether there is a 3D version, and regardless of the filmmaker preference. The reason for this is that the 15/70 film release of Dunkirk did very well, so Warner has taken the lesson from that that people prefer 2D IMAX. They have completely missed the idea that Dunkirk was popular in IMAX because it was shot with IMAX film. That's why the IMAX grosses were huge for that title. To say that, for instance, people wouldn't be interested in Justice League in IMAX 3D because Dunkirk was successful in 2D doesn't make much sense. Unfortunately, it seems that Warner is sticking to this.

For all other studios, in general, IMAX is trying to offer a combination of 2D and 3D showtimes so that everyone can see the version they prefer. In the past, if a film was offered in 3D, IMAX would offer it only in 3D. While that was fine for me as 3D is my preference, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to try to appeal to both audiences.

Apparently, they have opened a facility kitted with VR helmets. People don't want to wear a pair of 3 oz glasses for a couple of hours but IMAX management figures they'll jump at wearing a 2 lb helmet. Imagine. Going to a movie with a wife or friend so you can feel like you are alone while watching it.
The one in New York is located within the IMAX theater and offers programs that last approximately 10 minutes each. I think the idea is more, while you're at the theater, check this out, and not, "make a separate trip to try a ten minute ride and then go home".

Zac_F

Agent
Reaction score
If my usage is any indication it was dead before it started. I have an early Panny 3D set and can't say I've watched more than 2 movies in it. I forgot that it even had 3D. It was a gimmick that basically sucked on the small screen, and by small I mean anything smaller than an IMAX theater. It was like watching people in a fish tank. No tanks.

I don't regret buying the TV as it was a good price for the quality, the 3D was supposed to be a bonus.

DFurr

Supporting Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Don
I don't own a 3D TV and really don't have any use for one. I do screen a lot of 3D material in both BD and 35mm film.
It seem from what I'm reading, 3D TV's are going to be phased out.
QUESTION: In your opinion, will the digital projector manufacturers cease making 3D units in the near future? Is this time for me to purchase another Epson and sit it on the shelf for future use when my current unit fails?

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Peter

And I wish it would die in the theater. Cant count how many times I have wished I could see a movie in IMAX in standard format. 3D has absolutely zero benefit and the trade is to have to wear uncomfortable glasses which cause headaches and limit viewing enjoyment. Unfortunately they will never get rid of it because they can charge more for tickets.[/QUOT

3-D works better in your home than it does in the cinema. In IMAX , 3-D is virtually unwatchable.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melanikoko