What's new

genesim

BANNED
Real Name
John
And no, your alluding to the similarities of the abandonment of 3D to movies like Joe was too obtuse for me to fathom.

You completely missed my point and once again are bringing popularity into the matter which completely illustrates exactly what I am saying.

To recap, so I am supposed to place some great importance on your Blockbuster store or anyone you have met to be indicative of the whole and therefore part and parcel to the definition of obtuse? Am I supposed to also put that on how I should feel about a movie?

It would be like me judging you for putting down black and white movies in their entirety and therefore invading your judgment on a cult film. That would be mean spirited and insensitive.

Ready Player One may very well never see 3D release. I don't see the point. If anything it will repeat everything that I have talked about where trend is dictating significance.

Joe vs the Volcano is a wonderful movie to me. I am sorry that you (and others) don't see the beauty in it.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I used to take that stuff seriously, but not anymore. I don't take what a crowd of voters dictates as good or bad. I have seen things with 4 ratings or dismal reviews be quite entertaining to me.

If you believe the hype, Spider-man Homecoming is a 10/perfect movie. I am sorry, but the movie was mediocre to me and I take every single Garfield/Maguire above it. This is not to say that I don't like the movie, but the hyperbole is so over the top.

Joe vs the Volcano is a 5 rating on IMDB, uh no, now that is a 10. That is a movie that I will take with me to the grave. :) Too bad it isn't in 3D.

There are many films that are highly rated but, some after watching I wonder why everyone liked it so much.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I currently don't have a 3D display but I started converting my 3D discs to anaglyphic 3D. IMAX: Under the Sea looked fantastic that way and I am currently converting The Force Awakens and T.S. Spivet. I do plan to buy a projector that can do 3D in the next month or so however.

I am going to tell you right now. There is a orange/yellow Cod fish that comes out about the halfway mark on Under the Sea that must be seen in proper 3D. I will take any challenge that it is at the top of the most pop out 3D on every single bluray I have even seen. If anyone thinks they can top that, I would buy it immediately. It comes out at the screen at such an insane space that it actually scares me!

I have seen the orange fruit in the Space Station, I have seen the hovering saucer in the Bubble, and I have seen the ping pong ball paddle in House of Wax (...etc), but that fish is grotesque (though beautiful)!

It is proof positive that 3D cameras are just simply the best and if someone hasn't seen it, than they should never ever be talking crap on 3D being just some kind of gimmick.

Right along with the 105 Howitzer in your face in the first minutes of CEASE FIRE! :3dglasses:
Let's not forget the tray of beer or the hands coming out of the screen in The Bubble. Right over my lap, I tell ya!

genesim

BANNED
Real Name
John
There are many films that are highly rated but, some after watching I wonder why everyone liked it so much.

People went absolutely nutty over Homecoming. I practically rushed out to the theater and was like hmm?? Hype much?? I guess I am getting old. The one highlight for me was the Iron Man p.s. at the end and the return of my one of my favorite characters. The rest, popcorn entertainment, but not near the layers of Spider-man.

I may be in the minority, but I think Amazing Spider-man had great 3D and the city at the end was really well done. The second one had more eye popping moments, but also had that fake feel.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of post converts and Captain American The First Avenger was just fun to watch, but something about that real feeling of the first movie was something special. It helped loosen the sting of the loss of Toby. to deal with another changeover was tough. I wish they would let the dude grow-up and have real problems for a change!

May be getting off topic, but it is reasons like this that 3D needs to flourish. All examples of actually helping to serve the story. Captain America popped with the retro back-drop.

MCharlie

Grip
Real Name
Joe Wolfe
Just ordered BLACK PANTHER, READER PLAYER ONE and PACIFIC RIM: UPRISING from the UK and THE MAZE from the US.
OOPS! Forgot to ask, UHHH...from whom? Amazon UK?

Never mind...Amazon UK has them. Just ordered Ready Player One and Pacific Rim, Uprising, both 3D titles. For any interested, Region Free, and can be shipped to the U.S.

Again..Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
:3dglasses:
OOPS! Forgot to ask, UHHH...from whom? Amazon UK?

Never mind...Amazon UK has them. Just ordered Ready Player One and Pacific Rim, Uprising, both 3D titles. For any interested, Region Free, and can be shipped to the U.S.

Again..Thanks for the heads up!

No problem Joe, no problem. :3dglasses:

genesim

BANNED
Real Name
John
Once again, Black Panther getting ready to pass up Titanic, and it was in 3D, and the United States...NOTHING??

Ready Player One already up for pre-order. Just insane. What a great time.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
And no, your alluding to the similarities of the abandonment of 3D to movies like Joe was too obtuse for me to fathom. I am not a wordsmith, English language professor, nor a rocket scientist, just a lover of movies, and 3D movies if available, who uses them to unwind from my mentally tasking job of network maintenance. Unlike many, I do not like B&W movies, I see in color, and likewise, I see in 3 dimensions, therefore I like to watch movies in 3D. It will be interesting to see if Ready Player One will be released in N.A. in 3D BluRay. Any Bets?

No bet. Pre-order already up.

www.bestbuy.com/site/ready-player-one-3d-blu-ray-trading-cards-only--best-buy-blu-ray-blu-ray-3d-2018/6228661.p?skuId=6228661

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As has been established, Disney no longer supports domestic 3D for home use in any of its subsidiaries, therefore, it is no surprise that Black Panther is not receiving a domestic 3D release. It wouldn't matter how much the film grossed theatrically; the domestic branch of Disney no longer supports this format.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Your choice, but region-free 3D Disney titles are easily ordered through Amazon UK for prices equivalent (or less) than a domestic 3D release.

I just ordered 3D discs of Pirates of the Caribbean 4 and The Jungle Book for about $32 total, shipped. Granted, that was a 2 for £18 deal, but still. New release titles are usually around £18-20 ($30-35) which is on-par with any recent domestic 3D releases (I paid $30 for the domestic 3D of Justice League last month).

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Just saw Ready Player One in 3D in the brand new IMAX in Oslo, fitted with laser 4K projectors. My optic nerves are completely shredded! Kinda like "Star Gate" sequence in 2001 - only stretched out for two hours! If I had 3D like that at home, I would have to be put in a straitjacket!

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
And I no longer support the domestic branch of Disney.

Your choice, but region-free 3D Disney titles are easily ordered through Amazon UK for prices equivalent (or less) than a domestic 3D release.

I believe Jesse's point was that he doesn't order Disney titles from US vendors, and I've joined that club myself. As a Disney Movie Club VIP member I could buy all of the Marvel and Lucasfilm titles at a substantial discount, but since they don't offer 3-D I buy overseas like you. Disney has never explained why we have to do that, but just like Mary Poppins they never explain anything.

genesim

BANNED
Real Name
John
They don't get out of bed for orders under 2000, but will grow a market overseas that could have been had in the USA. It would be diffferent if it was art not filmed here. Paying domestic customers are slapped in the face while others prosper.

In a time where there are complaints of unemployment or low taxes paid you have to wonder why so many seem to blindly support the move to streaming only while countries that had their government dictate their viewing habits for years are jumping all over physical media and getting the bettter quality. I roll with them then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks