What's new

genesim

BANNED
Real Name
John
You know what I find comical. The recent 3D reviews that have been popping up years after their releases and calling the format "fledgling".

Gee I wonder why after all this time they are now making a limp review? Is it because they are getting discounted?

I don't know, but what I do know is that Frozen has been released in 3D- years ago and it is a fantastic release and should have got noticed the first day it came out. Like in the recent news where people apologize after the fact, it is sabotage plain and simple.

3D will never go away, and despite the reviewers and people that refuse to upgrade shooting it down, it is still a very viable format.

I do appreciate the ones that showed real support when the releases happened, and I have straight up respect for the work they have done despite not being the biggest dogs in town.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
When Ghost in the Shell 3-D Blu-Ray outsells the UHD disc during the first week of sales, you have to wonder why the print media doesn't say a word about the "fledgling" UHD format.

genesim

BANNED
Real Name
John
When Ghost in the Shell 3-D Blu-Ray outsells the UHD disc during the first week of sales, you have to wonder why the print media doesn't say a word about the "fledgling" UHD format.

I know it has been going on since the beginning of time, but when it is so obvious and people act blind or simply latch on because it is the "in thing", that is what annoys me.

Or maybe that's just because NOBODY LIKED GHOST IN THE SHELL!!!

Just a thought.

The example doesn't follow. The comparison is 4K vs 3D. If "nobody" liked it, than why cheese on one over another?

I have seen far too many fake reviews where they praise the "uptick" in quality for crappy up scales of a 2K master while using the usual "too dark" 3D downgrade every single chance they get. It is disgusting and along with the craptastic spoiler filled reviews you get the obvious bias.

I am not putting down 4K at all, and if is a 4K master there is nothing like it. However, I am not going to choose it over something that was filmed with 3D obviously in mind. A prime example being Transformers Last Knight where there is the usual cross-talk jibberish reviews. 3D Imax correct? The first of its kind, yet buried in the usual 4K drooling.

How many times does 4K actually get it wrong where the shifting ratios are actually thrown completely away like for Catching Fire. There is no way that I am going to forget the master stroke use of the fuller picture in place of the cropped mess that is on the 4K version, but again you will see the usual reviews making excuses for it.

The thing that I hate most of all is that it has become a 4K vs 3D thing when it comes to retail products and it makes consumers choose so they can push 3D completely out. WHY? Because it is an agenda, and there are far too many bought and paid for reviewers helping that to happen.

Bluray gets enough crap like the tired streaming comparisons, but now there is this weird inner physical product war where it is bluray against bluray? I will never get that, along with the 3D hating. Growing up I would have given anything to see this great 3D at home in a great way. Now it is here and so many, that don't even have the capability, are putting it down.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I currently don't have a 3D display but I started converting my 3D discs to anaglyphic 3D. IMAX: Under the Sea looked fantastic that way and I am currently converting The Force Awakens and T.S. Spivet. I do plan to buy a projector that can do 3D in the next month or so however.

genesim

BANNED
Real Name
John
I currently don't have a 3D display but I started converting my 3D discs to anaglyphic 3D. IMAX: Under the Sea looked fantastic that way and I am currently converting The Force Awakens and T.S. Spivet. I do plan to buy a projector that can do 3D in the next month or so however.

I am going to tell you right now. There is a orange/yellow Cod fish that comes out about the halfway mark on Under the Sea that must be seen in proper 3D. I will take any challenge that it is at the top of the most pop out 3D on every single bluray I have even seen. If anyone thinks they can top that, I would buy it immediately. It comes out at the screen at such an insane space that it actually scares me!

I have seen the orange fruit in the Space Station, I have seen the hovering saucer in the Bubble, and I have seen the ping pong ball paddle in House of Wax (...etc), but that fish is grotesque (though beautiful)!

It is proof positive that 3D cameras are just simply the best and if someone hasn't seen it, than they should never ever be talking crap on 3D being just some kind of gimmick.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I am going to tell you right now. There is a orange/yellow Cod fish that comes out about the halfway mark on Under the Sea that must be seen in proper 3D. I will take any challenge that it is at the top of the most pop out 3D on every single bluray I have even seen. If anyone thinks they can top that, I would buy it immediately. It comes out at the screen at such an insane space that it actually scares me!

I have seen the orange fruit in the Space Station, I have seen the hovering saucer in the Bubble, and I have seen the ping pong ball paddle in House of Wax (...etc), but that fish is grotesque (though beautiful)!

It is proof positive that 3D cameras are just simply the best and if someone hasn't seen it, than they should never ever be talking crap on 3D being just some kind of gimmick.

Right along with the 105 Howitzer in your face in the first minutes of CEASE FIRE! :3dglasses:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Or maybe that's just because NOBODY LIKED GHOST IN THE SHELL!!!

Just a thought.

Nobody? I haven't seen it, but about half liked it.

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

rot.jpg

genesim

BANNED
Real Name
John
Nobody? I haven't seen it, but about half liked it.

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

View attachment 45249

I used to take that stuff seriously, but not anymore. I don't take what a crowd of voters dictates as good or bad. I have seen things with 4 ratings or dismal reviews be quite entertaining to me.

If you believe the hype, Spider-man Homecoming is a 10/perfect movie. I am sorry, but the movie was mediocre to me and I take every single Garfield/Maguire above it. This is not to say that I don't like the movie, but the hyperbole is so over the top.

Joe vs the Volcano is a 5 rating on IMDB, uh no, now that is a 10. That is a movie that I will take with me to the grave. :) Too bad it isn't in 3D.

MCharlie

Grip
Real Name
Joe Wolfe
Joe vs the Volcano is a 5 rating on IMDB, uh no, now that is a 10. That is a movie that I will take with me to the grave. :) Too bad it isn't in 3D.

You are kidding, right?!!! That is in my top 5 WORST movies I have ever watched! I give it a -5 on a scale of 1 to 10! :eek: Right up with SIDEWAYS. GAH!

genesim

BANNED
Real Name
John
You are kidding, right?!!! That is in my top 5 WORST movies I have ever watched! I give it a -5 on a scale of 1 to 10! :eek: Right up with SIDEWAYS. GAH!

To each his own. Meg Ryan is a dream and it is a well made movie to me. I have watched it at least 50 times and it gets better with each viewing.

MCharlie

Grip
Real Name
Joe Wolfe
To each his own. Meg Ryan is a dream.

I agree, but to get my Meg Ryan fix, I'll watch You've got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally, or
The Presidio! There are lots of movies where she is nude, as well.

But..

Before we get jumped on, :wacko: let's get back to the topic, of 3D Movies and whether or not they will survive the N.A. absence of 3D releases, et al.

genesim

BANNED
Real Name
John
I agree, but to get my Meg Ryan fix, I'll watch You've got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally, or
The Presidio! There are lots of movies where she is nude, as well.

But..

Before we get jumped on, :wacko: let's get back to the topic, of 3D Movies and whether or not they will survive the N.A. absence of 3D releases, et al.

Aside from When Harry Met Sally, the problem I have with most of those movies is that I think it does not stretch her ability. In Joe her playing 3 people was particularly well done, and I actually take her as Angelica over her just being "nude" any day.

One of her gems is Addicted to Love which isn't a huge seller either, but at least gives her dimension.

Now all this said, the relevance to 3D is that I was making a point that popularity doesn't dictate value. I don't know where you are going with this, but you have essentially given me your taste, which I respect, but you are framing it in a way that is making it look like that I wasn't making a point. I admit to be a huge Meg Ryan fan, and feeling a need to comment on your criticism, but the Ghost in the Shell critical comment earlier didn't have merit to me. It doesn't have any more merit than your taste of her more mainstream movies over JVTV or my love for the one movie above all.

I am glad that popularity didn't dictate its release because other than a cult classic it was critically panned. What a shame, just like how 3D is getting shoved to the side based on agenda over mediocre support that could still cause it to at least be serviceable.

Just like with your view on Joe, some would rather tell someone what they think should be good rather than frame it in a way that makes it just be a personal taste. When you say "you got to be kidding me" that is telling me that it is wrong for me to like the film and appreciate what it stands for, and that isn't right. In many ways, the naysayers of 3D are doing the same thing, when I would never ever put down someone for supporting 4K as well (DVD I admit is a step backwards and I am hypocritical in that way).

MCharlie

Grip
Real Name
Joe Wolfe
Just like with your view on Joe, some would rather tell someone what they think should be good rather than frame it in a way that makes it just be a personal taste. When you say "you got to be kidding me" that is telling me that it is wrong for me to like the film and appreciate what it stands for, and that isn't right. In many ways, the naysayers of 3D are doing the same thing, when I would never ever put down someone for supporting 4K as well (DVD I admit is a step backwards and I am hypocritical in that way).

Unfortunately, the written word is harder to express 'emotions' into something better understood. You, without a doubt, are the very first person I have ever 'met' that actually LIKES that movie. A good friend of ours was the manager of the local Blockbuster store, when they were still in business, and said that was one DVD they had in stock, they never had to replace, as it never got rented out, nor stolen!

And no, your alluding to the similarities of the abandonment of 3D to movies like Joe was too obtuse for me to fathom. I am not a wordsmith, English language professor, nor a rocket scientist, just a lover of movies, and 3D movies if available, who uses them to unwind from my mentally tasking job of network maintenance. Unlike many, I do not like B&W movies, I see in color, and likewise, I see in 3 dimensions, therefore I like to watch movies in 3D. It will be interesting to see if Ready Player One will be released in N.A. in 3D BluRay. Any Bets?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks