What's new

tns49

Agent
Real Name
Timothy
Sport such as football, rugby and athletics definitely suffer from 3D miniaturisation. It's like watching Subbuteo/ table football.
They were getting used to doing different angles with 3d sports. For things like football they found the traditional high angles didn't work. Lower level and ground level were fantastic. Unfortunately ESPN and others then decided to shutdown their 3d efforts.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
They were getting used to doing different angles with 3d sports. For things like football they found the traditional high angles didn't work. Lower level and ground level were fantastic. Unfortunately ESPN and others then decided to shutdown their 3d efforts.

I remember watching a rugby league match on the now-defunct Sky 3D channel when Pat Richards, the Wigan winger, collided with the 3D cameraman. I thought he was going to end up in my lap.
The UK 3D providers really didn't give it their best shot. The BBC's efforts were pitiful although Eurosports 2012 Olympic opening ceremony was quite good.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Read post #82. Josh Steinberg and I went back and forth on this until basically coming to agreement. I'm not about to get into it all over again as I've said my peace.:(

Well good for both of you- all I'm saying is I don't get where these claims of "3d being dimmer" are coming from unless the movie theater is projecting them improperly as it certainly isn't a factor in my home set up.:wacko:

MCharlie

Grip
Real Name
Joe Wolfe
Kevin Collins

Poll: Will 3D at Home Make a Comeback?

Kevin Collins

Who knows. 3D in Europe is still big. Almost all 'blockbusters' are still being released in 3D. I prefer it. I have a 55" LG 3D TV in my theater room, and just bought a top of the line 55"LG 4k TV. Hung it right next to the 3D. I have played a 4k movie in the 4k player and the same movie in the Blu-Ray player, cued them so they were at the same place in the movie.

Switched back and forth between the two and candidly, **NO ONE** who has viewed them, can tell one bit of difference between the two. 4k, IMNSHO is a waste of money. We are told the difference will be astounding, like, the difference between DVD and HD (BR). It is not, not even close.

So, back on topic, I don't know if 3D will make a comeback, but I will continue to enjoy the 200 or so 3D movies I already have, and will continue to purchase from Amazon UK, unless someone has a North American based 3D source. As an aside, I have noticed that Region Free 3D movies are getting harder to find, but I do not worry, I have a region free, 3D, Blu Ray player, that also plays PAL and NTSC movies.

Oh yeah, funny that the overhead projector manufacturers haven't seemed fit to abandon 3D quite as quickly as the TV companies have!

MC, a die hard 3D lover!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m interested in 3D when it can happen at home without glasses.

The glasses are the biggest hang up for me.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Unless a new technology comes up I feel that 3D at home will not make a comeback. I love 3D. My TV is an LG passive 3D. My projector is an Optoma with active 3D. I have a fair number of 3D titles. But I think Joe 6 pack is too lazy to put up with 3D. Special equipment - searching for 3D media - glasses... Even 4K TV is a joke as most people are still viewing dvds and watching streaming at 480 on their new fancy TVs. A major portion of the population now watches most of their video on their cell phones. On this board we all love movies - I'm not so sure about the rest of the US.

I hope I'm wrong.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^ or $30 and much much luch!

2000000-Fortune-ITVM.gif

genesim

BANNED
Real Name
John
Just recently watched the new Thor in 3D. Looks fantastic. "Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years". 3D is doing just fine. It is like the early bluray adopters fly by night went to streaming crowd.

They are a renters crowd that cannot be counted on. They "supported" then they jumped ship. Never were serious buyers to begin with. 3D is stronger than it ever was back in the day. Call it "niche" just like 4K, but those who appreciate quality seek it.

Renters are a necessary evil and they help make a market. Bloated at first, then streamlined (pun intended) and made lean where it should have been to begin with.

Yet there they sit always thinking they dictate what the collectors should collect. Premium quality doesn't always come cheap, but it is there.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to agree with that, but if it were "doing just fine" then we wouldn't have had to import that disc, and there'd be at least a few current TVs that could display it. I'm still glad that I can at least import most new titles instead of not get them at all, but I'll always be disgusted with the electronics industry (which I've supported with untold thousands of dollars over the past 30 years) for removing 3D from displays. This is the first time that a capability has been dropped that renders a significant number of movies unplayable. Other things may have come and gone but they will at least still WORK on any new TV.

genesim

BANNED
Real Name
John
I'd like to agree with that, but if it were "doing just fine" then we wouldn't have had to import that disc, and there'd be at least a few current TVs that could display it. I'm still glad that I can at least import most new titles instead of not get them at all, but I'll always be disgusted with the electronics industry (which I've supported with untold thousands of dollars over the past 30 years) for removing 3D from displays. This is the first time that a capability has been dropped that renders a significant number of movies unplayable. Other things may have come and gone but they will at least still WORK on any new TV.

It is the grand scheme of things, not just the moment.

There is a certain sense of urgency over what is basically a few short years. There are improvements coming and I don't believe for a second the non-support lately (as in the last 50 years) mean a darn thing.

3D interest is there, the delivery is the issue.

I don't see importing as a big deal when often they are cheaper anyway.

MCharlie

Grip
Real Name
Joe Wolfe
Disney is no longer releasing new movies in 3D here in North America. I ordered the new Star Wars movie, in 3D, from Great Britain. I guess some unspoken agreement has been implemented in that the 3D movies from Europe are no longer region free. Fortunately, I have a region free, PAL/NTSC 3D Sony player! :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks