What's new

Poll: What to do with your Colorized IAWL Blu-ray disc (1 Viewer)

What will you do, or like to do with your colorized Blu-ray Disc Of IAWL:

• Total voters

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well folks, this is just me, the Great Film Colorization Heretic here trying to have some good natured fun here while giving home Theater enthusiasts some food for thought.
( HTF Admin, if you think this is not the place for this thread, my feelings won’t be affected if you move or delete this thread).

As you well know nowadays, every UHD Blu-ray copy (the new 4K release)and HD Blu-ray copy of Its A Wonderful Life (1946) comes with the colorized version of the film on Blu-ray Disc.

On a side note, I would like to hear from HTF members who have watched the colorized version and your opinions on the quality of the Colorization Of IAWL. But don’t make this into another full blown discussion of the pros & cons of Colorization Of Classic Films. We already have a thread or two on that.

Last edited:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I voted for frisbee, but in reality I'll keep and watch it. I keep EVERYTHING that comes in a package, including pan and scan versions (and I eventually watch those to see how bad they are.)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Brad are you aware that It's a Wonderful Life has been colorized 3 separate times? First in 1986 by the Hal Roach Studios, second in 1989 by Republic Pictures, and finally in 2007 (in HD this time) by Legend Films. The final time is the most subdued with pastel-like colors that actually give a rather pleasing result.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I guess I have the latest colorized version, but I have really no desire to watch it. I did watch the initial attempt when it was televised many decades ago, and I found it so muddy and unappealing that I couldn't get halfway through the movie before turning it off.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad are you aware that It's a Wonderful Life has been colorized 3 separate times? First in 1986 by the Hal Roach Studios, second in 1989 by Republic Pictures, and finally in 2007 (in HD this time) by Legend Films. The final time is the most subdued with pastel-like colors that actually give a rather pleasing result.
Learn something new every day. I was aware of the 2007 Colorization and that was the one I was referring to. I was vaguely aware of earlier efforts but your posting cemented it in my head.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
This is too important a film not to be seen.

With that mindset, we gathered our kids, our neighbours and their kids around for a viewing session some time around 2010.

One of the grown-ups found it too slow and schmaltzy and left midway through, but far more importantly, all the kids - ranging from pre-teens to late teens - were glued.

There’s no way they would have considered watching the b&w (I offered), so we ran with the beautifully-rendered colour version (the “three-strip”) by Legend. It might be considered a betrayal of artistic intent - so purists sue me - but it was wonderful seeing all these youngsters appreciating and being moved by this classic.

A lot has changed even in the decade or so since then. Those children (mine included) are all over 20 now. With teens and pre-teens now, I can’t imagine being able to tear them away from their mobile (cell) phones or video games long enough to give a classic film like this a chance, but I really appreciated having the colour version on that occasion, which created the opportunity for those children to experience this must-see work of artistic soul.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've not yet cracked open my BR of this one. That'll happen in a few weeks or so. Normally I watch a colorized version - once - if included and this will be no exception. That it was done by Legend is a good thing. They're responsible for some of the best colorization jobs I've seen with most good enough to snare an unsuspecting viewer for a viewing and then reveal it was a colorized BW film they just saw. Often I've been able to convince them to watch the BW version the next time.

So... I'll likely watch the colorized version once and then rarely, if ever, again.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I just upgraded from the 2009 Blu-Ray to the 2019 Blu-Ray.

This means I now have two copies of the colorized version (created 2007).

I did watch it around about 2013, and it was fine. One of the copies will stay in the new case. The other will be sold off with the 2009 version.

I did think about keeping it, and putting it with the five extra copies of Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein that I own.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Which colorized version is on the iTunes stream?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My poll answer would be much more boring. I’m gonna rip the B&W disc to my home theater PC and then put the entire package in storage. I’m not against there being a color version but I have no need to see it. But if that color version helps others find their way into a film that I’ve loved more with each passing year, I can’t begrudge its existence.

While it’s not my answer to this question now, I bet by the end of my life, if you ask me my favorite movie, this will end up being the answer.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Apples and oranges.

The star here is the new B&W disc. If they want to throw in a copy of something done ten years ago by different management as a bonus, what do I care? It’ll be blissfully ignored by me in the way I blissfully ignore the bonus DVD copies of movies that come packed with Blu-rays.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Apples and oranges.

The star here is the new B&W disc. If they want to throw in a copy of something done ten years ago by different management as a bonus, what do I care? It’ll be blissfully ignored by me in the way I blissfully ignore the bonus DVD copies of movies that come packed with Blu-rays.
Off topic, but I like the distribution studios releasing the BluRay/DVD combo packs- I use the DVDs from the sets while I’m away from home- I use the BluRays only in my living room set up.

I voted skeet shooting, and returning the colorized version to the studio along with some words.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Apples and oranges.

I don't care about the colorized version in the BD package, but it's annoying they didn't include the restored B&W BD with the 4K!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks