What's new

Poll: What kind of TVs do you have? (1 Viewer)

James Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Im in the market for a 57" WS Sony, but now considering a Tube. I own a 27" Wega now and would consider the 40"XBR but want the big screen effect. What do you all have/recommend?

Seating is approximately 10-12'

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Might want to put/request a poll in the POLLS area, and put a link.

The 40" would be my preference because I prefer tube. After that, front projection.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I just got a Sony KP51WS500 (51" rear projection) and am very happy with it.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Among those choices I would definitely go with the tube. I have the 34XBR800 Sony widescreen television and I highly recommend it. (If you watch a lot of dvd's). I watch almost no regular programming so the widescreen works great for me.

Of course, with the 40 inch you can still put it in squeeze mode but I personally think little (2:35:1) to no black bars (1:85:1) on a tv has a much nicer effect than small and large black bars on a standard 4:3 tv.

I would skip the 57 inch even though it is less expensive that the other model you are looking at. I personally do not care for rear projection...though I know many that do.

It all comes down to your personal preference, get whatever set you feel happy with!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I need to see an RPTV in person at someone's home - every store display looks like crap and I haven't found a salesperson I like well enough to spend the time with dialing one in.

Now - Sony KV27V42 9 feet away.

Soon - 34-40" toob...c'mon TAX RETURN!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
For maximum resolution, an RPTV with nine-inch CRTs will walk all over even the best direct-view set. However, some direct-views have eye-popping pictures that make RPTVs look washed out and dull in comparison: the Loewe Aconda, the Sony KV-40XBR800 and KV-36XBR800 (and the 34-inch widescreen), the Princeton Graphics 3.0 (yes, even at only 30 inches), etc.

Unfortunately for direct-view sets, the shadow mask limits ultimate resolution. You will be hard pressed to achieve true 1080i on any consumer direct-view set.

And you'll be hard pressed to achieve true 1080i on most RPTVs based on seven-inch CRTs.

Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Sony 36" tube TV. It's fairly new (Only 2 years old) and gives off an excellent picture.
I just upgraded (my father bought a 43" HDTV and I got his old 36" :D ) from a 20" RCA...so I'm having fun.
The first DVD I played on it was Fantasia...and I was thrilled by the color! The old TV would distort sometimes and had really bad overscan. Plus, I calibrated the TV with THX Optimizier and my Unipix calibrator. Great stuff!

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Sony WEGA KV-36FV26. I have been extremely happy with its performance thus far, but that is only until my inevitable upgrade to true HD in a few years. :)

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 57" pioneer widescreen in my living room which is about 3 yrs old we got for free and in my room I have a 27" panasonic. I want the pioneer in my room where the ht but my parents won't let me.

Jamie

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
A Sony 1252 projector and a 90"x52" screen in the living room. An HP 17" monitor by my computer. A Sony 25" in the bedroom. A Craporama 19" in the kitchen.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
What Jack said!

I would also add that the phrase "Bigger is Better" really applies here, especially with your seating distance of 12'. A rear projection HDTV will give you great images (using a progressive scan DVD player), as well as size!

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
At 10-12' back you need a screen in the 72-96" wide range in order to attain cinematic impact. This translates into a 81-108" 16:9 diagonal, which is unattainable without a two-piece projection setup.

IOW buy the biggest HD RPTV you can afford; or consider front projection.

Personally, I run a Sony 1292 projector and have an 87x49" screen to go with my 12' front row.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Since front projection is not in your list of two setups, I would recommend the 57" WS Sony especially if you do a lot of movie/dvd watching.

The title and the real subject of this thread are a little confusing but to answer the thread title question...

- Sanyo 27" 4x3 TV
- JVC 32" 4x3 TV
- Sony 11HT LCD FPTV @ 92" 16x9

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I only have a 27" Direct View, but by late November I should have a 47" 16:9 Panasonic RPTV. I would like to go bigger, but anything over 47" in Australia means you would be paying A LOT more.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Try the Sony store in Tracy for great deals. I got my 32xbr450 for $1049 when CC had it on sale for $2k
They have Big uns there too from time to time. I even saw a few plasmas (~generally 50% of retail)

DanaA

Screenwriter
Hey, I've been to the Sony factory outlet in Tracy and they did have great deals. Anyway, for the poll, the main TV I watch is a Mitsubishi 55" HDTV and I love it a whole bunch. I'll go with the bigger is better crowd, because it would have for me to move slower, but easy to move bigger...if they could fit one in my bedroom.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I have a Sony 1272Q CRT projector with a 49" X 87" (100" diagnol) screen. I sit about 14 feet back from the screen. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks