What's new

Poll: What is your favorite audio format? (1 Viewer)

Leonardo F.L.

Auditioning
Real Name
Leonardo Fernández Lázaro
There are 212 voters right now. Is there anybody else that wants to participate in this poll? You don't need to be a registered member to vote.

Cheers!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
This is a tragedy to me. SACD plus DVD-A are blowing away vinyl. I like lp, don't get me wrong, but a shiny 5" SACD or DVD-A is a heck of a lot more convenient, and usually will get you better, or at least more consistent sound quality. (Pops, clicks, surface noise, more distortion towards the inside of an lp, etc.)

And how many releases are there these days on vinyl vs SACD and DVD-A? Sigh.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
What amazed me was the fact the cassettes + compressed formats in total is around the same as vinyl. In the old days when I had vinyl (and I got out of it many moons ago - probably only had less than 50 albums in good shape, mostly MoFis and the rest was originally played on horrible equipment when I was growing up and did not realize the care needed) I was able to get rid of the pops, clicks and surface noise via a Burwen Transient Noise Eliminator (model TNA-7000A or something like that - http://www.dplay.com/tutorial/burwen/Burwen.html). I remember moving from central NJ to southern NJ and selling off most of my equipment, incl. the turntable, while I was having a house built at the end of 1985. I had someone drive 2 hrs. one way to buy the Burwen and then I got rid of my albums shortly thereafter.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Actually, I think there's more new vinyl than SACD/DVD-A. My sister sure buys plenty of new-release EPs (mostly 10" 33s) and LPs. She says they're better mastered than CDs, and she can listen to them comfortably at a higher volume level. Of course, she mostly buys them in places other than record stores.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member

That was my point. At least in this poll, SACD and DVD-A "win", but in the real market place, vinyl still rules. I think it's the record companies that don't have a clue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks