Poll: What brand was your first Hi-Fi VCR and when.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerome Grate, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

In light of the thread in reference to VHS, I'm curious about your first hi-fi vcr.

My first hi-fi vcr was a Proscan #?. Got it in December 1999. Hooked it up to my first HT and I was impressed with the sound. The killer is after two S-VHS VCR purchases (3500 & 7600), I gave it to a friend when he bought his first HTIB.

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    Uh.... let's see. It was around '95 when I got my first hi fi vcr, before that I used a Y adapter to connect a mono vcr to the l and r inputs on my boom box.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Late 80s. I think it was a GE.

4. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    A Sony in 96, I'd been into laserdisc and Surround Sound since the late 80's but never really thought about a hi-fi VCR until my old 2 head Top loading Quasar with the wood panel design and the wired remote finally died. The only thing I really used my VCR for was time-shifting TV programs. I have been wanting to upgrade to a good S-VHS deck for over a year now, but I never seem to pull the trigger one one.

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    A Sony Beta HiFi unit in 1984.

A Zenith VHS HiFi unit in 1987.

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I remember in the early 80s my brother got a Sony Betamax, I remember the plug in remote. Wow if I had the knowledge back then I would have kept the thing and compared it to S-VHS, but, that's another thread[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

It was circa 1987 when we got our first RCA (I think) HiFi VHS machine. I still remember the first rental movie we watched in HiFi sound (St. Elmo's Fire, wouldn't have been my first choice but whatever) and being positively amazed with the sound coming from the (rather ordinary) system.

Meanwhile, my mother-in-law insists that she has to have a HiFi VCR, but listens to the sound from her crappy TV speaker via the RF modulator.

8. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

A Sanyo Beta Hi-Fi Machine in 1984, and a JVC VHS Hifi deck about six months later. And before that I had one of those ghastly linear stereo VHS Models from JVC that had Dolby B Noise Reduction and less dynamic range than a walkie talkie![​IMG]

9. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Too long ago to remember for sure, but I think it was a huge (although it was called "portable") Sharp VCR that was actually in two pieces that you would connect together!

10. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    A Sony BetaMax in 1978 or 1979. It cost over $1200.

11. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

1992 Zenith
    Around $450 - still workng but I don't use it more than twice a year.

12. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

A Sony for $420 in 1991. My 2nd was an RCA in 1996, and now I'm back with another Sony bought this year.

13. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

JVC in 1985, one of the first with a built-in stereo TV tuner. First movie watched in stereo was The Karate Kid (didn't upgrade to Dolby Surround til 1989; first movie just happened to be 3 Men and a Baby cause my mom had already rented it the day we got the sound system!) Sadly this VCR isn't working now, but my second (which I won in a contest) was a 1987 Zenith and it's still alive and hooked up, though it doesn't get much use.

14. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

SONY.

I still have a Sony and when it croaks I will buy another Sony(yes I still watch VHS alot actually).

15. Bill_Mis

Bill_Mis Stunt Coordinator

My first vcr was a Sony Beta Hi-Fi that I got just as MTV was airing the Live Asia in Asia concert (1984) that I thought was too cool because it was simulcast and that vcr let me lay a higher quality FM track along with MTV's video signal.

16. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

My first was an RCA "Home Theater Series" back in '94 that I got when I went off to college. Of course, I remember my family's first one was a Quasar (woo!) that we bought back in '84 I think. The first one that I can recall seeing was my best friend's (I can't recall the brand) that actually had a remote! (But it had to be wired into the back of the vcr) That was way back in '82 I believe. I remember watching Nate & Hayes while eating a bowl of his father's "Famous boiling chili". [​IMG]