Poll :) Those Darned Kids...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Aug 5, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I'm turning into the 'Get offa my lawn, you wrotten kids!" old person kind of quickly, and I'm only in my late 20's.. [​IMG]

I've always been a quiet kid. I'll talk when talked to, but I've never been much of a conversation starter. I always drive the speed limit, I don't walk around with my shirt of flexing what little muscle I have. I don't wear jewelery (most worthless stuff on the planet), I don't swear every other word, and I don't drink till 2 AM in the morning..

Was I one of the only 500 kids in america that acted 'adult' ? As I walk through seaside heights NJ, I hear snippets of conversations, 'I stayed up drinking till 3AM, and slept till noon ....' ' cool dude! was there alot of p#ke?'

'Dude, she was like totally railing on my F*$$$ing boyfriend. She knows It's my boyfriend.. WTF was she thinking?'

Some of them are so loud, you don't even have to eavesdrop. And some of the swear words I hear kids say today is just sad. I was walking in a KMart and the father said it to the kid, and the kid said it right back. Great family you have there....

Just curious how many folks here where the type described above, only to calm down later in life, or where the quiet, 'I'll start a company like google', type [​IMG]..

Later!

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'm also one of the 500. I think I skipped right over childhood (while many others seem permanently stuck there) and went directly from toddler to adult.

Sounds like you and me may have been separated at birth.

[​IMG]

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Add me to that 500. I know, I know, everyone thinks they were a great kid, but I'm serious. My mom used to say that she would take my brother and I out to restaurants when we were REALLY young and they used to get approached all the time by people saying how well behaved we were.

I've always felt extremely old for my age and even as a teen, I never felt the urge to go out and get drunk, or vandalize, harass people, swear, or do stupid "teen" things.

I've always hated teenagers, even when I was a teenager.

4. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Count me in. I listened to classical music as a teenager, never caused any harm or trouble just for the sake of doing so, and everyone thought I was the weird one.

Of course, women like a renegade, and I'm living proof that nice guys always finish last, especially when it comes to romance. Consequently, I couldn't get a date until I was in my 30s.

I shoulda TP'd a few houses, or something.

5. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

"Nice guys finish last" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Being a "nice guy" has nothing to do with being outgoing and able to talk to the opposite sex. What, are women supposed to go "oh my God he's so shy he won't talk to me, I GOTTA HAVE HIM!!!"? C'mon.

Besides, what's the point of lamenting a lack of success with the type of woman who goes for "bad boys"? They're not your type anyway. "Nice girls" are out there too, and lots of them wonder where the nice guys are.

To answer the opening post, I've always been kind of a loner, and definitely an uncool nerd in my teenage years. And yes I have a near-pathological level of contempt for my fellow man. I wouldn't say I've always acted "adult" (even now, on the edge of 30), but I was less of a handful than most of my friends when I was a kid, and I also consider myself to be more reliable now, as well.

6. MarkHastings

Exactly. I used to think I wanted the type of girl that a "bad boy" attracts, but I realized that those type of women aren't for me. I want the type of woman that falls for the "nice guy". Those are the keepers!

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Or "he actually talks to me, and wants to carry my books/grocery bags and help me with my homework and is always a phone call away when I need something, doesn't really make an effort to look good because of course his innate awesomeness just oozes thru, and we all know looks and attitude should never matter, and he thinks just letting me know that likes me and constantly hanging around is enough to get me, and he never, ever does anything to show that he actually has a dick. Whoa, I WANT HIM NOW".

--

What are we calling "kids" in this thread anyway?

--
    H

8. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

H put it perfectly [​IMG]

There's nothing wrong with being "a nice guy", but some guys aren't "nice guys" so much as they are "fucking dormats".

9. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Here's one... One of the snippets of conversations was a 20 something girl who said something along the lines of 'you'll find me at the bar...' this was about 12 AM and said so loudly, you could hear it a block away..

Where do you find the girls that don't drink till they barf, yet still know a good time? I,e, not constant bookworms.

Add on to that, how cna you tell a single girl, from a girl that is dating?

10. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Where are YOU, usually? Step 1 would be looking for women who have the same interests as you.

11. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Mostly bookstores, the food store, the gym, and arcades..

12. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I went from being kind of a bar hopping shit-kicker in my 20's and early 30's to the grumpy old man on the porch in my late 30's. Have all the fun, drink all the booze, make all the noise you want, just don't do it on my block late at nite! I unfortunately live in a college town a few blocks from the campus.

[​IMG]

13. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Do you ever talk to women, or do you settle for paying attention to the conversations of the kind of people you wouldn't want to go out with in the first place?

Dude, just talk to someone that looks interesting. Ask her about a particular book, (if the book's fairly obscure, and she happens to like it too, you have a great excuse for a good conversation), get on a DDR machine and ask a total stranger to join you, because it's no fun playing alone. What's the harm in trying? As long as you don't come across as a smarmy creep, the worst she can do is say "no, thanks".

Sometimes I think guys have this fear of being laughed at when even talking to a woman. Residual high school angst, I guess. My opinion? Fearing something is usually worse than the thing itself. FDR put it much more poetically, though [​IMG]

14. MarkHastings

But this also goes back to the whole "Nice guys think they can't find a woman, because they're always looking for the WRONG woman".

I learned this lesson...I always had the idea that anytime I talked to a woman, she'd either laugh at me or give me that "Why the hell are you talking to me?" attitude. The thing I finally realized was, I felt this way because I was only approaching women that were not good for me. Whenever I'd start talking to someone who WAS good for me, I never paid attention (because I wasn't interested). A good friend of mine had to point out this to me and it opened my eyes!!!

Now, instead of talking to the women that I know I can't get (or that aren't good for me), I talk to women that I CAN get and that ARE good for me. It's amazing, because they respond MUCH better than the "Girls who only go after bad guys".

15. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

"Here's one... One of the snippets of conversations was a 20 something girl who said something along the lines of 'you'll find me at the bar...' this was about 12 AM and said so loudly, you could hear it a block away.."

Im in my 20's. My friends and I go to bars to hang out and meet people. You seem to belive that the only reason people go to bars is to "drink til' they puke". For 95% of people, that just isnt the case. I dont understand why you have such a negative attitude towards bars. If they were so awful I doubt there would be so many of them. I live in Buffalo, ny and have literally 20 bars within 10 blocks of me. This is the norm throughout the city and most of the inner ring suburbs. If people just wanted to drink they could do it at home for a hell of alot less money. People go to bars for the atmosphere and the people.

16. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

95% of girls in bars and clubs fit into this category.

I am still wondering what parts of the behaviour described in the OP are considered "adult" and otherwise.

Edit: Um, OK Jimi, that was spooky...

--
    H

17. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    I'm 23. During the summer, on the weekends, I go out to a bar until last call (anywhere from 2 am or 4 am). I've been able to hold in my alcohol, but I have friends that get sick from time to time. In said bars, we laugh, we're loud, we try to meet women. We look back on times when we would have house parties when our parents weren't home, and those unfortunate incidents that may have occurred.

That said, we're all still "adults". I'm a teacher. Another friend works in the ER, another a law student. We leave our respective professional lives behind, have fun, and don't hurt anybody. In my eyes, nothing wrong with that.

I totally agree with you guys when you get fed up with trashy language in public places. I have friends that I won't go to Starbucks with because they speak so crudely. It's a major turnoff. In a bar, I think it's ok to let loose a bit. Depending on the type of bar you go to, you should know what to expect going in.

If you're looking for the quieter type of woman but aren't looking to do so at a bar with lots of loud music and such, I would reccomend a bar at a restaraunt. Those are usually quiet, with people just looking to relax and unwind.

18. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Yet another one turned into a dating thread....

~T

19. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

We need a standard signal for this. A ring on the left hand is the obvious standard for married or widowed. A pregnant belly is the obvious standard indicating that somebody has planted a flag there, so to speak. But how are we to identify the unattached and available? It has to be something that is low maintenance yet can be adopted universally without cramping anyone's established style. And it shouldn't cost two month's salary to tell the world that you're looking for love.

I nominate wristbands. Who's with me? [​IMG]

Seriously for a second, I've often thought that you could make some serious cash selling women's t-shirts that say "Available. Talk to me.", "Lonely. Buy me a drink." or "Whore. Inquire within."

Brad

20. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

True. How many of ya have stayed down the shore latley? One of the reasons I have bad views of bars, is on crowded weekends, you could hear all sorts of loud, boisterous, drunken conversation(with swearing included), as people took their long, slow walks from home. To me, that's a bit of a waste.
    I may be home entertaining myself with loud sound on my HT system, but at least I REMEMBER doing it [​IMG].

[QUOTE = If you're looking for the quieter type of woman but aren't looking to do so at a bar with lots of loud music and such, I would reccomend a bar at a restaraunt. Those are usually quiet, with people just looking to relax and unwind.[/quote]

That's not too bad an idea. I havn't been to a resteraunt in so long, I completly forgot about that atmosphere. Might be worth a try once the summer crowds leave.