POLL: Should cable/satellite companies be responsible for damage to TVs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ottis Fletcher, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

I know of quite a few occasions when I was watching TV (AT&T Digital Cable) and dozed off or went in the next room to use the PC for a little while and when I woke up or went back in the room that channel was out with the yellow bar across the bottom with the show name in blue and an add with a white message in the middle of black screen that said "This channel is unavailable and will be available shortly". If thats on the screen it will burn in a ruin the TV. If Im paying $90 a month for cable I expect it to work and not ruin a TV. I for one think the cable company should be responsible for the damages since their service Im paying for was the cause of the damage.

I know they will say it was the users fault for being negligent, but what do you think?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

3. Ottis Fletcher

I rarely fall asleep, but I go visit this site on commercials and that can lead to along time on the site chatting. I think that the screen should just go blank if the signal is lost. Which all so means that they should be more responsible and realize that many people have projection TVs and that message that stays on the screen when the channels out can ruin a TV.

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

More and more useless litigation seems to be the product of individuals failing to take responsibility for their actions, inactions, mistakes or negligence. Sounds like the "McDonalds-made-me-fat" slippery-slope to me. Sorry, the cable company's not at fault here.

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

So, basically, you want the cable company to be responsible for burn-in that results from you not paying attention to your property, especially when the manual probably specifically states that burn-in is a possibility?

Don't think so.

6. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

Sounds like a silly case, but many things much worse than this have been won.

There is an argument that if the cable compny never warned you about their menus burning a TV than they are at fault.

7. Ottis Fletcher

I think you guys are missing the point. First I didnt get burn, and dont plan to. The TV this happened to me on was tube TV, and will not happen on my RPHDTV. On the other hand there are many, many, more casual viewers with RPTVs who dont know about burn in and the cable companies expensive sloppy service doesnt help. I think at the very least they should change the message that comes on screen when a channel or cable goes to a blank screen.

8. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

9. Ottis Fletcher

You guys completely missed the point Im sorry I made this topic. Please no more post.

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I had FREE cable last year, and it wasn't even worth the price of the electricity to run the TV [​IMG]

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

12. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

Im pretty sure he was referring to the fact that everyone was acting like this had actually happened and saying he was dumb for wanting to sue.

13. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Surely he needs to realize that any item is merely an opportunity for the speaker to talk about what he wishes to talk about, rather than to reply to the question posed.

It would be nice if all cable channels showed images in a way that didn't cause burn-in, whether it be from out-of-service notices or the little logo in the corner or whatever.

It also would be nice if TVs were a little smarter about turning themselves off when not in use. My TV is lousy at that -- for example the "sleep" timer is buried way down in a menu so it's hard to get it, while things like the "tilt" adjustment (which one rarely uses) are right up front. Unfortunately, for HT people it would be difficult for the TV to know when it's "not in use."