What's new

Poll - Should "Angel" get his own thread? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
My only issue with a seperate thread is if it means mentioning Angel in the Buffy thread leads to being struck down.

Buffy did spawn Angel and it is valid to comapre the shows. The Star Treks get compared all the time.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Agreed that posts should not be moved
Jack: Of course they're not missing, they are serving Lord Whedon in their own way. Check LAX :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm a little disappointed here. I suppose polling the active participants of "Buffy/Angel" on the direction of discussion for their 2 shows was the nice thing to do, rather than just mandate the split off the bat with no discussion nor input from the active participants. But it appears that no matter what, everyone's a critic, and not everyone can exercise some self control on the topic.
These 2 shows used to be intertwined at the hip, thus the inertia to keep their discussions within the Buffy thread as a courtesy to the fans of the show. Obviously not many people remember this fact.
Now that the perception is that Angel is getting too big to be contained in the Buffy thread, I felt it was time to ask you, the fans of both shows, whether Angel needed to be split off. But some people rather make the decision for all the rest of you, and that's just not acceptable at this time. I will be locking the newly "created" Angelriffic thread for the time being until most of the members have had a chance to vote and make their voices heard. Do not start another "Angelriffic" thread.

DonWinzen

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick, I apologize. I did not start the "unofficial" Angel thread but I did participate. I am still new to this forum so bear with me.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Definitely. Angel has gotten much better while Buffy continues to go in the opposite direction. Angel deserves his own thread!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Patrick, your assumptions about the motive behind me starting that thread are way off base. My motivation was not to be inconsiderate to the other members in any way, shape, or form.
I must ask you Patrick, why did you choose to put the word 'created' in quotation marks? Was my thread less valid than the Buffytastic thread? I do not consider my thread "unofficial", IMO it's just as valid as the Buffytastic thread is. Parker started the second thread because the first got too large, but the original Buffytastic thread was not started by a moderator or owner, but by a member, did anyone consider the first thread to be "unofficial"? Then why is mine considered as such?
By putting that word in quotation marks, that says to me that you feel that my thread was somehow a halfassed attempt at a thread, without merit, and that's not right.
Why couldn't you just leave it open for a few days to see how well it does? It would be a nice way to test the waters, and see how the 'Angel' fans responded to it IMO.
Patrick, I don't want to get into a big thing over this, please don't think ill of me, I meant no harm in starting the thread.

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator
Angel is a separate show, even when it was "joined at the hip" to it's parent show. Yes, that meant a high propensity of cross-talk. But a separate show is a separate show, and if someone wants to discuss it "separately," then there should not be an embargo on an "Angel" thread.
Furthermore, Angel is gaining enough of its own identity and steam now, and a growing "separate" audience (from Buffy), that I think it could handle it's own thread. There will be people, I am sure, who would like to get in on some Angel action who don't tune into Buffy every week. And diving into the Buffy thread is intimidating at best, let alone 80% Buffy, 20% Angel.
As for the "frequent comparasin" issue, I think it is irrelevant, and if not, it is growing irrelevant. There are interludes where Buffy is compared to other shows for several posts in sequence - Angel just happens to get compared more often, for obvious reasons. And no doubt that part of the reason is because there is no Angel thread to head to.
Patrick, you're in there often enough - haven't you noticed the odd post, every now and then, where someone says "Anyone want to get into Angel...etc etc"? There are 2 responses: 1. We all chime in with our general summation of what we think of Angel or the subject episode, and then the discussion goes back to Buffy. 2. We are engrossed in our own egos and discussion, and the request drops through the cracks.
If Angel doesn't have enough steam to warrant discussion, then it'll die out fast. But as a rabid Buffy fan, I can honestly say I'd be frequenting an "Angel" thread these past months more often than the "Buffy" thread, if there was one to frequent.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, yeah, we could use a separate Angel thread. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Dan, great point, with a dedicated thread, Angel fans won't have to wade through pages of Buffy discussions to find a few nuggets about Angel.
Their is too much right about this idea not to do it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
JohnW, look, I did not even email you on your starting the Angel thread, so you should have taken the hint that I was not too mad at the thread's creation. I would like to let the poll runs its course since there's a nice 4 week window until the next Angel episode. Is that too hard to understand.
I'm trying to avoid people split between two Buffy-Universe related threads and causing confusion.
Plus, you've been here long enough to know that Angel discussion has almost always been rolled into the Buffytastic thread due to its roots from Buffy, its spin-off nature, and then by intertwining storylines. Most participants "get" that about rolling Angel into the Buffytastic thread and have almost exclusively posted their thoughts on new Angel episodes within the Buffytastic thread.
Now that Angel has appeared to have "spread his wing" and learned to fly, the poll was designed to let you fine members decide on separating out the Angel discussion from the Buffytastic thread which is a tremendous thread supported by fervent fans of the show. So, please, don't get too offended by a closed thread. Once the votes are in, the Angelriffic thread will be opened back up in time for the next new show (provided the votes go that way). :)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
The Buffy readers want to get the Angel readers out of the thread because every time they read about how much better Angel is this year than Buffy, they just get jealous... :D Just kidding.
Personally, I like going to the one place to get all the Buffyverse insights. But I was against the breakup of the hardware forum too, and that turned out splendedly. If I have to read two threads instead of one, so be it.
What really matters is the contributions to the topic, and that won't change no matter what the forum is... er, pardon the pun.
Martin.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Assuming we have a truly random sample of 62 voters, the 95% confidence interval for the true proportion of people wanting a separate Angel thread is between 72% and 92%. Can we call this poll yet?
Note to self: Stop logging on to the forum when you have Minitab running on your computer.:)
Regards,

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ken, you're giving me evil Stat flashbacks from my college days (when I actually knew how to use Minitab and Sas(?)).

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Well, I am from Germany and am usually not able to watch latest Angel before Wednesday. So if I want to comment or read about Angel I usually have to skip carefully through all posts to not read a Buffy spoiler by accident. You see that I am in favor of a sole Angel thread. ;)

Ryan_C

Second Unit
I am all for giving Angel it's own thread. I am one of ones who thinks Buffy unfortunately is in a slump this season. It has even lost my interest so bad several times I have even missed a few new episodes, but Iwon't miss an episode of Angel. And I get tired of having to skim through the Buffy thread to sort out the Angel posts.
Just my 2 cents though...:)

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoy both shows. In fact I just pre-ordered Buffy season 2. They are 2 shows so there should be 2 threads.
I tried to vote last week but the system wouldn't let me. Perhaps it doesn't like webtv.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Okay, the 95% confidence interval for the proportion of forum members wanting Angel to get his own thread assuming 75 random samples is now 72%-90%.

Note to self: Dadgummit, I'm at it again. Heel, stats geek, heel!

Regards,

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I'm following Buffy with imported episodes, but Angel I'm watching from the DVD releases - keeping them seperate keeps me spoiler-free.

Which would be nice...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks