What's new

POLL: New vs. catalog releases (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
On average do you purchase more New releases or Catalog releases each year?

I'm probably in the minority here but my ratio is about 10:1 in favor of Catalog titles I purchase each year.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Just exactly how long does a film have to have been out to be considered "catalog?"

Good question.

New = Usually within 6-12 months of its theatrical release and usually first time released to a home video format. Some exceptions would be a new film released to VHS then a DVD follows 2-3 months later I would still be consider it NEW.

Catalog = Older films and also fairly recent films previously released on home video. A good example would be the upcoming Jackie Brown release which is fairly recent '97 but only available on VHS until this August.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
My catalog titles outnumber new releases at 36 to 5! (out of 82 titles)

It makes sense since the quality of recent movies have severely degraded...and I don't mean image or sound quality! (Except for some excellent recent movies like Moulin Rouge!, A.I., Shrek, Cast Away, and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I seem to go in streaks. Sometimes I buy alot of new releases, sometimes alot of catalogue titles. Right now, I am trying to pick up some older films to help round out my collection. In general, though, I would rather buy a catalogue title and rent a new release.

Bruce

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I buy a lot of new releases, but I still buy far more catalog titles. There are just so many more catalog titles than new releases.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Hmmm... does it count as buying a "new release" if it was new when released, but old when I bought it? For example, I didn't buy The Matrix DVD until it had already been on the market for 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks