Poll: How many believe cables can sound different?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    How many of you believe that either different interconnects or speaker cables can sound different in a stereo system, all else being equal?
    Based on my own listening experience I believe they can sound different, although their may be minor differences between different high end brands.
    What do you think?
    (I do not want to debate the question here but see what the HTF community believes. I may be able to use this poll to assist in arranging a cable test in New York as we have discussed on other threads.)
    Thank you for your vote! [​IMG]
    Lee

2. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Lee, I believe in some instances cables do make a difference.
    Another question to pose would be, What cables/interconnects/power cords do you use in your system?
    Personally I use Bob Crump recipe(Audioasylum)power cords on amps and Kharma powercords on my front end. Also have Straightwire Blue Thumder cables chained to 2 Richard Gray Power Company units. Transparent interconnects(single ended), Bybee balanced interconnects,Harmonic Tech speaker cable. As you can see I go against all methods of synergy in my cable choice(s) but it works for me. [​IMG]
    I appololgize for the additional info but it would be interesting to see what cables people use.

3. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I know they sound different because I've heard the differences.

4. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

It's beyond belief for me. They do sound different, and make a difference in my audio system, and it's not subtle.

5. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

I don't know if they sound different since I don't trust my sense of hearing. I personally think my moods determine what I hear at a particular moment. Anyway, I just completed my DIY Canare interconnects and ended up with 5 10' cables and 9 5' cables for approx. $120.00. Sound and look good to me.

6. patrick miller

patrick miller Auditioning

i believe a good set of ic and speaker cable can make a nice difference. but i think that you have to have components that will allow these differences to show.

7. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

How many people here BELIEVE in UFO's? How many BELIEVE there was a second gunman on the grassy knoll? Can any of these people PROVE their beliefs? Or is someone here hoping that once you get a certain percentage of people to beleive in something that the necessity to prove it is no longer valid? Fortunately, proving that you can hear a difference between cables is EASY to do. Just pick them out in a blind test, 100% of the time [​IMG] The cable-beleivers moan that 100% can't be acheived, or that 80% is good enough. Why? Why can't you get the other 20% correct if you've made it to 80%? What is the HUGE variable that causes a $1 throw-away cable to sound THE SAME as a cost-no-object design from a 'boutique' company? If I said I could hear the difference between a police whistle and train whistle, but I got it wrong 20% of the time, would you still believe that I can tell the difference between them?

8. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

Personally I believe that above a certain minimal level of quality cables do not make a difference. The pack-ins which come with most components do not meet this minimal level of quality since, in my experience, they are too prone to RFI and EMI. However, cables just a step up from these which are adequately shielded generally provide excellent sound without breaking the bank.

And oh, yeah, in a blind test in a RFI and EMI friendly environment I doubt that I could tell the difference between pack-ins and better cables. Never done it though.

9. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    They definitely make a difference. Jim - was not aware that the Kennedy assasination was the subject. Seriously, you may want to take a look at "Image of An Assasination - A New Look at the Zapruder Film" on DVD. It includes a never-before seen footage. Like everything else, facts and experience working with a particular item are the determining variables on what traspired. I would suggest that you take a few good recordings you are familiar with along with cheap cable and go down your local high-end store and listen with and without the cables on a reference system. It is silly to make comparisons that don't have any relation to the subject. The only way to determine whether you hear or don't hear a difference is to listen and understand what you are listening to on what. The more exposure to hearing things on reference systems over and over serves to gather experience to reach a conclusion.

10. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Cables matter, but are the first items to show diminishing returns.

Anything over $10 a foot (for anything) seems silly.

My opinion...Buy what you want, I won't say anything personal. If you can hear it or if it makes you feel good, then great! I noticed the difference for as little as $20.

I don't like blue cars, but that won't make blue-car-driving people stupid.

Have fun - That's why we are here.

Everyone else (JB) take a pill.

11. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

On revealing equipment better analog ICs and speaker cables do make a difference, at least that's been my experience. On lesser systems, I really don't believe that they matter nearly as much, if at all.
    When it comes to digital ICs (optical or coax), I really don't think there is a difference at all. I just use a well made, but inexpensive, cable with decent quality connectors. I think it's because I'm a network engineer. [​IMG] My position is that it's only 1s and 0s... but everyone's heard that view and I won't "beat that dead horse" again.

12. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

Well I do NOT have a trained ear and even I can tell the difference between the junk that comes in the box and nicer cables. I haven't done much testing, but that cheap flimsy speaker wire does not sound good vs. Monster speaker wire.

So I would say that there is an obvious difference if you choose very different samples (generic vs. Monster). But the difference is much more subtle if you are comparing Monster vs. AR vs. Radio Shack Gold.

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Lee, you renegade!!

I won't weigh in with a belief. Beliefs I leave to matters of religion. I'm about, or try to be, understanding phenomena. Rather, I'll go off topic and put down some quotations that I find insightful.

"In youth they are vigorous, aggressive, evangelistic and even intolerant. Later, they become mellow; and in old age-after some 10 or 15 years-they become, with some exceptions, either an arm of the industry they are regulating or senile."

John Kenneth Galbraith

"There are no worse liars than quacks — except for their patients."

Benjamin Franklin

"When someone can convice people of absurdities, then they can convince them to commit atrocities..."

Voltaire

"On the otherhand, if you are open to the point of gullibility, and have not an ounce of skeptical sense in you, then you cannot distinguish useful ideas from the worthless ones. If all ideas have equal validity then you are lost, because then, it seems to me, no ideas have any validity at all."

Carl Sagan

"I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true."

Carl Sagan

"Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense."

Carl Sagan

14. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

WOW!!
    3 quotes from Sagan and not one "Billyun"[​IMG]

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Chu,
    Thanks for the post.
    I like these quotes but still fell John Galbraith was a terrible economist. [​IMG]
    Lee

16. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

What Patrick said... and i don't need to or, intend to, prove JACK ! [​IMG] Lol... ahhhh man..

17. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Chu,
    Nice touch I love the Sagan quotes.
    IMO I agree their are difference in analog cables up to a certain point when all cables are adequate and sound pretty much the same. Whenever a cable meets the requirements an engineer sets out as needed to carry a certain signal then that is good enough for me. No amount of snake oil is going to work on me.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

18. Tan_N

Tan_N Stunt Coordinator

I "believe" that speaker cables sound different!

I am willing to take a blind test and put my ego on the line

I "believe" that video interconnects look different!

I am willing to take a deaf test and put my ego on the line

I "believe" that audio interconnects sound the "SAME"!

I am willing to take a blind test and put my ego on the line

Do you Believe me???

I "believe" I can fly?

I am not willing to test that!!

Do you Believe me now???

19. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Wow,
    I am encouraged by the replies. Clearly most feel cables can sound different!
    Any more non-believers out there?
    Kiet, where are you? [​IMG]
    Lee

20. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Lee - according to the home page it is Kiet's (26th) birthday - Happy Birthday, Kiet - I guess by Lee's comment we can assume your celebration does not include buying new interconnects. Hopefully there are better things to celebrate.