Poll - Dumb reasons for breaking up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rain, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Rain

Rain Producer

I was just thinking about Seinfeld and how the characters are always breaking up with people over the most trivial things.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has ever broken up with someone, or even just refused to go out with them, for a silly or trivial reason.

I once knew a guy who broke up with his boyfriend because the boyfriend sat down and ate a block of cheddar cheese (with knife and fork) for dinner.

I once refused to go out with a guy because he had named his cat "Cher."

2. Kirsten

Kirsten Stunt Coordinator

I refused to go out with a guy because he had wicked awful back hair. I never actually "saw" the back in question, however, just the tufts of hair that sprouted from his back, travelled up his neck, and poked out from his collar.
    It still makes me gag to think of it! [​IMG]

3. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

Hey now!! Why should we have to endure the scorn of women simply because God decided to play tricks on a few of us. [​IMG]
    Besides, if women won't go out with us in the first place, who are we supposed to get to shave it off every once in a while. I guess we could rig up a bunch of Norelcos to the wall and rub our backs around on 'em for a while.

4. Kirsten

5. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

The two harshest ways I broke up with a girl was as follows:

1. The only thing we have in common is the fact that our genitals align correctly.

2. Welcome to Dumpsville honey, population: YOU!

Other than that, I never really broke up with a girl for trivial reasons.

6. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

7. Chris Tinglin

Yep, thass pretty nasty buddy mowing down a block of cheese for dinner - with knife and fork to boot ([​IMG] ) - that's purely a breakfast meal. Not a trivial reason at all, in my books. Now, a cat named "cher"? That's pretty kewl/funny (what, is it overdone or something?).
    I cannot reveal my silly dumps (i do use my real name), but if anyone saw Shallow Hal, there was the kinda funny Seinfeldian dump of this otherwise fantabulous babe on account of her having one toe a weensy bit longer than her big toe.

8. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

I once had a girl break up with me because she had an "out of body experience" and "caught" me with another woman. I couldn't believe it.

9. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

She didn't use an exclamation point and ate her peas one at a time [​IMG]
    I wouldn't go as far as calling it dumb but I broke up once because she didn't like going to the movies or even watching them at home, and if you know me that's just not on [​IMG] I mean come on, how can you hate watching movies [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

When I was 17 I was going out with this girl for 6 months already and we spent New Years Eve together. It was a quiet evening with just her and I and she fell asleep at about 2 hours before midnight. When midnight came I tried waking her up to give her a kiss and she shrugged me off.

Dumped the next day.

11. John Johnson

John Johnson Agent

Well, I once broke up with a girl (only a 2-month relationship, if there is one) because it was the end of the school year, which would have been acceptable if we couldn't drive (we could :b )

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I know this is terrible, but I REFUSE to go out with another Blonde.

Never again.

13. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    My brother broke up with a girl because she lived 18 miles away, which he said was "too far".

The irony is that he ended up marrying another girl from Florida, whom he met in D.C. while at a Millenium New Year's eve party. She moved up to Pittsburgh to be with him when they got engaged. But now every holiday he has to travel great distances so she can visit her parents in Virginia. Serves him right.

14. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I broke up with a girl in High School because she didn't like The Beatles! Can you believe that shit? How the hell could ANYONE not like The Beatles?!

15. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

My wife keeps threatening to boot me to the curb because I keep moaning her mother's name in my sleep.

16. Kirsten

17. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

"Carly, do you fancy going out for a drink sometime?"
    "What - on a date? I don't think my fiance would have much to say about that!"
    [Rob's pulls a blank expression]
    Now THAT's a crappy reason if ever I heard one. [​IMG]
    Ironically she asked me the other day if I wanted to go out 'as friends' over Christmas. Of course, being the perfect English gent I said yes and smiled to myself [​IMG]

18. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I once stopped dating a girl because of her poor table manners. She actually committed the Cardinal Sin:
    While cutting her food, I noticed she had no clue how to hold her fork. For those in the know; the tongs of her fork were coming out of the chisel-grip of her pinky finger, instead of a softly extended index finger.
    I could never be with someone so ignorant or shallow. [​IMG]

19. Rain

Rain Producer

20. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If you step back a bit, this thread is among the funniest going at the moment. An out-of-body experience? Eating a block of cheddar cheese?

I'd say the most frustrating breakups I've endured had their bases in miscommunication.

Jealousy is another failing--and not on my part. Whenever I am in a relationship, I notice that I get a lot of phone hangups--that is the answering machine will kick in, but whomever on the other end doesn't leave a message.