What's new

Poll: Does the Weekly RoundUp still need to list DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Would you care if the bulk of the DVD section was removed from the Weekly RoundUp?

• Total voters

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey gang!

Please do me a favor and vote in the poll up above.

Here's why I'm asking the question: I am finding changes in the way I collect information on each week's new releases. And it is making it harder for me to find easy-to-use information on DVD & Blu releases on a week-by-week basis.

Plus, I'm really curious as to where my readers are on the DVD front. While I suspect DVD still leads in market share, at an enthusiast's site like this, I believe high-def takes the day.

Plus, also feel free to make any other comments on any other topics pertaining to the WRU in the comments section below.

As I get ready to begin Year #11 of the RoundUp, I guess I'm wondering what works and what doesn't work (or is superfluous) for HTFers.

And here is a picture of Scarlett Johansson to wish us luck! :biggrin:

BN-BY925_mag041_OZ_20140318165119.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think you need to double up where titles are on both formats. It's pretty safe to assume that if you list the blu-ray, the DVD version will be a few bucks cheaper.

If something is only coming out on DVD, like some TV, it would be nice to have those listed.

The only DVD's I really buy any more are the occasional title from the bargain bin, or TV that's not available on blu-ray.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I only buy the BR when it's a combo pack, so I'm definitely interested in the DVDs. But if it easier maybe just a column for each title that lists whether it's a DVD release too. (Slight modification to Malcom's post.)

More importantly, I think you'd be better served changing the title to "Picture of Scarlett!" (And then make 'em take the poll to see the pic.)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I use the DVD list to see what TV shows (mostly vintage variety) are being released in any given week. Most TV doesn't get Blu-ray releases. So, I do use that DVD list.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Al.Anderson said:
I only buy the BR when it's a combo pack, so I'm definitely interested in the DVDs. But if it easier maybe just a column for each title that lists whether it's a DVD release too. (Slight modification to Malcom's post.)
Just so I'm sure I understand, Al. Maybe a new column just to the right of the titles? And if there's a DVD release maybe an asterisk in that column? Is that along the lines of what you're thinking?

Because I honestly think 99% of all Blu releases have a corresponding DVD release (except maybe for the Twilight Time releases, let's say). So, I'm not sure it would be all that effective.
Matt Hough said:
I use the DVD list to see what TV shows (mostly vintage variety) are being released in any given week. Most TV doesn't get Blu-ray releases. So, I do use that DVD list.
But would you be okay, then, Matt, if I pared back the DVD grid to include only those titles not seeing a corresponding Blu release? That's kind of where I'm going here.

I totally get that I still need to include titles like Modern Family: Season 5, Gunsmoke, Rawhide, etc. Those titles are much too popular to ignore.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Great question, Mike. Happy holidays! I am generally interested in the DVD section only if it's a DVD-only release or TV shows (since, even when there is a BD option, the price difference is sometimes extreme or I want to maintain uniformity in my TV on DVD collection).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It doesn't matter to me either way so I think you should do whatever makes it easier for you.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
One more thing, apparently polls don't appear when using the app.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
But would you be okay, then, Matt, if I pared back the DVD grid to include only those titles not seeing a corresponding Blu release? That's kind of where I'm going here.

I totally get that I still need to include titles like Modern Family: Season 5, Gunsmoke, Rawhide, etc. Those titles are much too popular to ignore.
I was thinking the same thing as Matt but your solution seems pretty good.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Generally prefer the high def listings - but for certain titles I don't really care. (Kids just want to watch Smurfs2 -- I just want to get it as cheaply as possible...)

It is nice to be able to compare the price differences between the two.

Just would also like to say "Thanks" for putting this together every week - it is a must read for me on Monday mornings...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Many worthwhile movies, both foreign and domestic, are never given an HD release in the States, although one can easily find HD releases in Europe and elsewhere. So yes, there is still, unfortunately, the need to list those releases in the DVD section.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I would definitely keep doing the DVD only releases such as TV shows.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't know exactly where to vote, Mike, but here's my $0.02.

Would it be easier for you to roll everything into one grid? Something with an Amazon DVD and Amazon BD price...Best Buy DVD and Best Buy BD price...etc.? I'm not a huge fan of assuming the DVD price is going to be a few dollars cheaper than BD (it's the whole assuming thing) and a lot of people I talk to in my neck of the woods haven't made the jump to BD. Then again, they're not the ones using the grid and the WRU.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jason: Vote based on YOUR own experience using the WRU each week. Would it impact your experience if the DVD prices weren't there whenever there is a corresponding Blu release?

I'm trying to get a feel if there are any users who come here counting on the DVD grid--let's say forum members who haven't yet made the jump to Blu for whatever reason. And they have no use for the Blu grid but check prices on DVD releases each week.

And, frankly, if those people are out there...and maybe they are lurkers who come here each week to check DVD prices...it wouldn't be a bad idea for them to sign up just to let me know.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I personally think you stop DVD when there is a BD.Your list covers the "Top 40", to use a radio phrase.It isn't like there is a BD w/o a DVD. I think people can look that up themselves. And quite often, Amazon price fluctuations are more frequent on DVD.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I agree that the DVD prices are only useful if there is no Blu-ray. I don't remember the last time I bought a DVD when given the choice.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
JakeLip said:
I agree that the DVD prices are only useful if there is no Blu-ray. I don't remember the last time I bought a DVD when given the choice.
Ditto. I'm not a collector of TV series which I believe many shows are only on dvd. If The Defenders came out only on DVD, I'd be all over it, but nothing else comes to mind.

If you were to decide the benefit of listing DVDs is not worth the effort, I wouldn't mind.

Second edit: it seems to me that if an exceptional DVD came out, other members could post it in the weekly thread. Why should you list all the DVDs?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Interesting side question:

I remembered just now the last time I bought a DVD when there was a Blu-ray option. It was as a gift for a friend. Most of my close friends have not made the jump to Blu, so when I gift I have to go back to the old format. However, this is not a reason for you to list DVDs in the Roundup, mike...just an observation.

How many of you still gift DVDs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks