What's new

Poll: Do you mind paying the higher prices for Criterion titles? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I find myself depriving myself [edit: I must have Austin Powers on the brain!] of Criterion Collection titles mainly due to my being so used to purchasing discs averaging $22 per title (excluding of course, collections). I don't see myself paying more than $35 (including taxes) for any single release in the foreseeable future.

Luckily I am able to experience a number of Criterion Collections including "Kwaidan", "The Hidden Fortress", and "The Seventh Seal" thanks to my local library that has recently started loaning DVDs to its patrons.

The only Criterion Collections I own are "The Beastie Boys Anthology" and "The Royal Tenenbaums".

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Do I mind? Yes, I’d prefer to pay less.

But as others have already observed, I can understand (usually) the reasons behind the price structure.

Not only are treasures such as Dryer’s films presented in stunning format, Criterion is able to turn Spartacus into a classic, must-own DVD.

And finally, I am willing to pay Criterion’s prices because some other companies have responded by releasing editions of classic (and other) films with literate commentary tracks, the inclusion of thoughtful, extras and with detailed attention to video and audio restoration.

Competition is such a wonderful thing.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
buy some very cheap Madacy discs which I overpaid for horribly.
Haha, yeah, my dad bought Reefer Madness and Night of the Living Dead, and they weren't even worth the six bucks each he paid for them. I am quite confounded by the fact that he says he loves NOTLD, yet won't plunk down for the Elite edition even though he acknowledges that the quality on the Macady is horrible.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Two days ago, at Borders, I came across a rack with a bunch of DVD's which were on sale for $7.98. I bought Blue Angel with Marlene Dietrich and Fritz Lang's Metropolis. Were they a bargain like I first felt they were? No, the audio/visual quality is the worst I've ever seen. It really was annoying me big time when Marlene's voice was so distorted and the picture was a fuzzy blur. On the other hand, The Passion of Joan of Arc Criterion, from the same period, is magnificently restored. I'd rather spend $29 on a beautifully restored film any day than what I spent for crap. And, that's not even considering the wonderful extras that are pretty standard on Criterions.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Ah yes, nothing like learning the hard way that a great price doesn't always equal a great deal.:D

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Not at all, and as long as the "value" is there, I don't care if it's Criterion or not (IOW, if Warner produce a DVD that's in every respect matches the best of Criterion's, and Warner wants to charge premium for it, fine with me).

Not all Criterions are expensive, I brought Chasing Amy for $14.95 (the ongoing price now), and I think it's a great deal.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Dana, there is an excellent 2-disc version of The Blue Angel available from Kino. There are some interesting Marlene extras, though the commentary track is lacking. However the movie looks very good, I was able to see it theatrically not long ago, and I thought the DVD looked better than the film print, and my setup is very modest.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
The price is worth it as long as it is a title that you enjoy tremendously. I wouldn't pay for a Criterion edition of a movie that I simply think is "ok".

DanaA

Screenwriter
Thanks Brook,

I'll try to get a hold of a copy just to erase the memory of what I viewed. One of my daughters and I kept on commenting during the movie that, "Wow, this seems like a great movie. Wish we could see and hear it more clearly." Anyone want to buy my copy of Blue Angel for $600. Will Trade for an Anthem pre/pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks