Poll: Do you mind paying the higher prices for Criterion titles?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveGon, Jul 18, 2002.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I've seen more than a few people on this forum make comments about how they wish Criterion would lower their prices. Personally, I don't mind paying those higher prices and I buy a lot of Criterions. Other companies do release special editions at much lower prices, but more often than not, they own the titles in question. Criterion of course, has to license their releases. And how many studios would release lengthy, black and white foreign titles like Red Beard and Children of Paradise? Not many, I'd wager. Yes, Warner did a very nice job with their special edition of Citizen Kane, but such releases are not exactly the norm for them while Criterion releases special editions of like titles all the time. Ergo, I don't mind Criterion's higher prices. And you?

2. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I don't mind Criterion's higher prices because I can always tell where that extra money went.

3. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Criterion's high prices are fine by me. I don't mind them in the slightest. If I like a movie, I will buy it regardless of the price, and Criterions aren't insanely high anyway.

4. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

As long as they keep producing products like their Royal Tenenbaums 2 disc set, I ain't complaining. Of course, it helps that the price on it worked out to about $17. You can't beat that. [​IMG]

5. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

I never flinched when paying $50-$100 for their laserdiscs, so each time I buy one of their DVDs I feel like I'm getting a bargain. They're worth every penny, and then some.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Not at all.

A+ video/audio, A+ supplements, and well made packages (not the cases, but the overall effect...like menus, presentation, liner notes, etc). I'm also sure part of the high price goes to well produced and authored discs. I don't think Criterion has ever had any error discs.

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I feel the same as everyone else...so far I feel I've gotten a hell of a deal on all of my Criterion titles.

8. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I love my Criterion discs, there is a certin level of quality I can expect on them, unlike some of the studios who can vary all over the map.

9. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I love my Criterions too. Worth every penny, in fact I'd probably pay more for them if I had to.

10. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

11. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Not at all, the quality of their releases makes the price well worth it. They have introduced me to a host of great films I otherwise would never have seen.

12. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

The Criterion Collection release of DVD's are some of the best I've ever seen or heard. While I don't watch some of the foreign flicks or more obscure fare on their lists, nonetheless I applaud their effort to bring the best presentation to its audience. It's because of Criterion I got to experience classics like 8 1/2, Wild Strawberries, Passion of Joan of Arc, and The Seventh Seal.
    And the best thing about Criterion Collection is that they provide variety, and they chose not to limit themselves to arthouse/foreign films, althought to the ire of some here. Oh well, different strokes for different folks. [​IMG]
    Oh yeah, I don't mind paying the prices.

13. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I paid a couple of extra smackeroos to get the CCs of Brazil, Rushmore, Robocop, and (brace yourselves) Armageddon and I didn't mind one little bit.
    Plus I just got The Royal Tenenbaums for $18.01 in total. I hate to admit it, but Criterion/Disney could have squeezed another 5-10 bucks out of me on that title!
    Thanks for reminding me about my Criterion wish list. Next two in my sights: The Rock and The Blob!

14. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I'd prefer not to pay at all [​IMG] , but I gladly plunk down my coin for many of their titles. If not for Criterion, we probably wouldn't see most of these titles released at all. That is priceless.

15. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

So far I do not feel I've overpaid for any of my criterions. I did however, very early on, buy some very cheap Madacy discs which I overpaid for horribly. [​IMG]

16. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I can't say that I really enjoy paying the higher price but I understand why their prices are what they are.
    This doesn't stop me from buying the films that I want to add to my collection. It also softens the blow when you think of all of these great titles that would probably never be released by the major studios.
    Now I wish they would start working on Throne of Blood, Foreign Correspondent & The Palm Beach Story. [​IMG]

17. Rain

Rain Producer

Let me put it this way, I've never regretted buying a Criterion DVD and I've paid $70 Canadian for some of them.
    I wouldn't object to lower prices though. [​IMG]

18. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

You know, I was agreeing with everybody (after all, I own a good number of Criterion DVDs, and a few LDs, myself), until I thought of one thing. I can't tell you how many times I've ALMOST bought the Criterion DVD of The Blob. If the MSRP was $30 instead of $40, I would definitely own it. So yeah, I guess the pricing makes a difference for a title I'm on the fence about. Not a complaint, mind you. Just an observation.

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Well, I do mind, so much so that I don't buy many Criterion titles (but it has more to do with the title, rather than if it's got the Criterion stamp on it). The cheaper ones recently would be under $20, like The Royal Tenenbaums, and Chasing Amy.

I hate spending over $25/DVD, and I'm more happy paying under $20/DVD for films I want.

If they are over $30/DVD, I consider the rental option if possible, or just do without for the time being, and buy them used (via here or elsewhere).

20. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

I've never regretted paying for a Criterion DVD, especially for a copy of Pasolini's Salo, which I stumbled across at a video store and paid $40 for. Turned around and sold it for $300 on eBay. Why anyone would pay that kind of dough for that piece of crap, I'll never know.