What's new

poll:direct or passing through tonal circuitry (1 Viewer)

rick_da

Agent
Real Name
ricardo
Hi!
Need to hear your thoughts on this..
In listening to two-channel music, which do you prefer, Direct connection (bypassing any circuitry) or you prefer to let it pass through the tonal circuitry? (bass, trebel, DSP, etc.)
Forgive my choce of words since I'm still new to all this this stuff.
Thanks!
Hope to hear reply from you guys.
Rick

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
They say a perfect system, receiver-speakers-room acoustics-listener preference, requires no tonal adjustments. Unfortunately my H/K-Polk setup needs a little tweaking, my room is a mess (acoustically speaking) and, to be honest, my likes and dis-likes seem to change from day to day. So occasionally I use Direct, but not often.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
i have relatively small bookshelves that don't do much bass (60Hz min), so any stereo signal has to go thru bass management

I think you should not worry about what seems 'right' or 'wrong' - just use whatever sounds best in your current system. You'll get someone like me who needs the DSP doing bass management, and some other guy with a floorstanding speaker setup that runs the signal direct. Or someone who does that and likes the PLIIx effect...

what sort of speakers do you have?

rick_da

Agent
Real Name
ricardo
I have a denon avr-1306, DefTech procinema 80-system. My speakers tend to be smeared with sibilinace whenever I use the mode which passes thru the tonal circuits that is why I use the direct mode. Although I like the sound of bright speakers (with lots of cymbals and clappers, specially Metallica recordings) but minus the annoying sibilance.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
there's usually a mode that bypasses the tone controls and yet allows the receiver to perform bass management if need be (stereo as opposed to direct)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
When listening to 2 channel music, I always go w/"direct" on my Marantz AV9000. No bass management via the "direct" mode, but not a issue w/2 channel music since my DEf Tech BP8's can handle it and really do not require a subwoofer.
W/DD/DTS 5.1, DPL Movies however I can not go "direct" since "direct" mode does not allow for bass management or the use of a subwoofer which is required for movies on my system, but I have my tone controls (treb and bass) set "flat".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks