Directors Poll: caution. Requires honest answer

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Randy Emery, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Randy Emery

Randy Emery Auditioning

I am new to this forum and to Home theater. I am about to start a front projection set up. Here is the question:

How many of you can tell the difference between the product of a $2,000 projector and a $5,000 one? I am not young, so maybe my eyes arent catching something, but a significant difference eludes me. Thanks for your input

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I believe in the law of diminishing returns. If you are getting your first monitor of any kind, I always recommend toward the middle/low end of the water. If anything else, this hobby suffers more from upgraditis than most others. So, if you get the $2,000 projector, you'll be happy now and want to upgrade later. If you get the $5,000 one now, you'll be happy, and want to upgrade later. The difference is that you're going to have to upgrade to the $10,000 projector if you choose the latter.

My theory anyway. Certainly nothing more.

3. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Randy, I seem to have the same experience when listening to speakers. I mean, I can certainly tell a difference between crap speakers and good ones, but when comparing two units of similar quality, I must be missing something.