Poll: Best DVD of the year

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffreyMercado, Jul 17, 2002.

1. JeffreyMercado

JeffreyMercado Second Unit

Over at www.dvdreview.com they ask you to choose what you think was DVD of the year. I am curious how people voted. I was leaning towards the Memento:Special Edition. When I looked, it just said Momento. So I chose Pearl Harbor the vista edition. What did you vote for?

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I voted for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

I judged the DVD on terms of movie value, entertainment value, audio/video quality, navigation, supplement entertainment value, amount of supplements, and quality of supplements. I also counted replay value for the feature and the supplements.

The video is flawless, the audio is flawless, the menus are fun and easy to us, and the extras are plentiful and fun to look at. Plus, the movie is top-notch, as well...which should have a lot to do with the value. After all, if the movie is pretty bad like Pearl Harbor, I doubt the supplements have much worth.

Other DVD's I felt were nearby are North By Northwest, Citizen Kane, Moulin Rouge, Superman: The Movie, The Godfather Collection, and UHF. They all had excellent video and audio, plus considerable and entertaining extras.

3. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Isn't the year just barely half over? [​IMG]

4. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

I voted for Almost Famous: The Bootleg Cut.

5. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Ok so far this year I'd go with the Pearl Harbor 4-disc thingy, and I haven't even seen the dvd yet, not even really a fan of PH (loved that 45min battle sequence, though it does interrupt the main story)[​IMG] but just looking at Ron's review thread makes me drool, I'm an extras junkie, so I might pick this up for the plethora of goodies enclosed.
    But by years end the FOTR 4-disc thingy should be out and than we'll see who's best of the best my preciousss...[​IMG]

6. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

If packages are allowed, The Godfather Collection .
    Watched a marathon of it recently, including commentaries and the special features disc. Coppolla's commentary showed insight, humor, and technique in equal measure, unlike the usual back-slapping dreck of the usual director's commentary. The documentaries are informative, too. The video transfer isn't as crisp as it might have been, but the DVD can't be beaten for content.
    For single-movie DVD's, nothing beats Shrek, in my IMHO.

7. Anne M

Anne M Agent

I voted for Snow White. It's the most perfect DVD released to date, IMHO.

8. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

9. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Pearl Harbor: Vista Series Director's Cut

10. JeffreyMercado

JeffreyMercado Second Unit

Godfather package was there, but I agree with post above. I felt the transfer looked better on digital cable. Without a doubt I believe LOTR will be the best DVD release of the year. Although it was not on the list.

11. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

12. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Snow White - not only is it an amazing transfer for something made in the '30's, but the extras and even the way they present the options are all exemplary.

13. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

How many different years are under consideration here?

14. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I had to go with The Fast and the Furious. I love that movie and the dvd is definately reference quality. The sountrack and the picture quality is stunning. Very week plot but a very fun movie. It was close though. There are a couple of other ones that I almost picked. Tombstone and Shrek were very close 2nd and 3rd.

15. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I meant weak.

16. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Pretty early in the year to decide the “best” DVD. Even so I’d put Carne’s “Children of Paradise” up at the top of the list. “Citizen Kane” package also deserves a nod.

My only complaint on the Godfather package was that listening to Francis talk for that long, was too much. The commentary needed some variety.

17. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I'm pretty sure that both Snow White and The Godfather set were released last year, and therefore could not logically be considered for this poll. [​IMG]
    My choices:
    Legend
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    Memento
    Say Anything...
    The Usual Suspects
    A Beautiful Mind
    Used Cars
    UHF
    Speed [​IMG]

18. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

19. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Definitely Pearl Harbor Directors Cut. The packaging is the most unique I have ever seen for a DVD. The extras are great also. As for the movie, well if you chop off the first hour it's alright.