What's new

Poll: Bad movies by good directors (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
good topic.
Here are mine
Steven Spielberg HOOK & 1941
Terry Gilliam ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN
Ridley Scott HANNIBAL
John Frankenheimer FRENCH CONNECTION II
Luc Besson MESSENGER STORY OF JOAN OF ARC
John Boorman EXORCIST II THE HERETIC
Francis Ford Coppola JACK & RUMBLE FISH
Tim Burton PLANET OF THE APES
Terrence Malick THIN RED LINE flame away if it makes you feel better but I'm sorry this was a real turd.
:D
Robert Altman POPEYE
Brian DePalma MISSION TO MARS
Richard Donner ASSASINS & GOONIES
John McTiernan LAST ACTION HERO
Oliver Stone ANY GIVEN SUNDAY
Robert Wise AUDREY ROSE
Stanley Kubrick BARRY LYNDON
John Sturges JOE KIDD
Alfred Hitchcock FAMILY PLOT
Howard Hawks RIO LOBO
Sam Peckinpah OSTERMAN WEEKEND
Martin Scorsese COLOR OF MONEY
John Carpenter ESCAPE FROM LA, VAMPIRES & VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED
Mel Brooks - everything since HISTORY OF THE WORLD

RobR

Second Unit
Have you seen Fear and Desire?
No, I can't find it anywhere. I'm aware Fear and Desire is Kubrick's first low-budget feature. However, of all the Kubrick films that I know are available on DVDs (starting with Killer's Kiss, there is not one bad movie (at least in my opinion).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
* RobR deserves a promotion.
* Is Kevin Leonard's membership up for renewal? :)
* Rain: I was willing to let things go vis. Full Metal Jacket (remember that thread?), but The Shining too? We might have to send you to a re-education camp. :)
* Barry Lyndon is a superb, absolutely marvelous film, and a rare example of picaresque literature being brought to the screen successfully--as only Stanley Kubrick could have done.
* Fear and Desire, while certainly rough not only around the edges but everywhere else as well, is not a bad film.
And, now, my submission, though the film is merely subpar, not "bad": Marnie by Hitchcock.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Anything after Apocalypse Now by Francis Ford Coppola.

Showgirls by P.V.

Rope by Alfred Hitchcock. Poor acting alert, poor acting alert. Just because it's revolutionary, doesn't mean it's good.

Since others are doing this, if I could pick one film to take off someone's list it would be:

Terry Gilliam ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN

I loved this film. Not quite as good as Brazil, but still excellent.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Lord Of The Rings by Peter Jackson. This movie is just too damn long and has no point and is the biggest piece of crap I ever paid to see. I want my money back.

Just kidding, please no death threats. I loved it.

And for what its worth, I thought Baron ruled!

But as SteveGon has told me over and over again, I have no taste.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Kurosawa's Dodes'ka-den. Sorry, but this one bored me to tears...
But as SteveGon has told me over and over again, I have no taste.
Gee, when have I ever accused you of having no tastes? So what if Steel Magnolias is your favorite movie? So what if I burst into hysterics whenever you laud its merits? To each his own... :)
BTW, what the heck is Baron?

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
let's see...
Hannibal - Ridley Scott
American Beauty - ??? (let the bashing begin :) but i thought it tried too hard)
also
Mission Impossible 2 - John Woo
oh wait, you said by GOOD directors. :D

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
How can you possibly say that? Jack was one of the classics of the 90's. In all fairness I thought Godfather III wasn't to bad. (especially compared to everything post-Apocalypse Now).

Darren H

Second Unit
Robert Altman would be my first entry in the "Great Directors Who Make Crappy Films" Hall of Fame. Popeye is, of course, in a league of its own, but I'll never forget the feeling of watching Ready to Wear in the theater. To go from The Player and Short Cuts to that piece of crap just amazes me. It's a shame, too, because it put a halt to what was an exciting comeback for him.

Coppolla will also never cease to fascinate me. This weekend I watched The Conversation for the first time in several years. That is very nearly a perfect film. I would call Jack absolute horseshit if I had, in fact, found any inclination to actually see it. He has fallen from the throne of America's finest filmmaker to utter irrelevance.

And, Jack Briggs, Fear and Desire is a bad film. Really.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Ah. Actually, I liked TAoBM. My only real problem with the movie is Robin Williams's grating performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks