What's new

Poll: Acting and refusing to do nude scenes - what do you think? (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I thought that would get your attention! :)
Putting aside the prurient aspect of wanting to see cuties like Julia Roberts and Winona Ryder sans clothing, what do you think of actors and actresses who refuse to do nude scenes? Is this a valid position to take when one is an actor?
I don't think it is. Granted, nude scenes are mostly arbitrary and superfluous, but occasionally I think they are necessary. Refusing to do them shows a lack of true dedication to one's craft. Seriously. And when you think about it, is getting naked really that big a deal?
What do you think?

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I think if a actor/actress doesn't want to do any nude scenes that's perfectly acceptable. Its almost never a requirement to have nudity in a movie. Besides there are always body doubles.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I tink it should be mandatory for de gorgeous women to appear nude in de movies, goot for de box-orfice too, imagine de movies 'attack of de calones' and de 'spiderboy' with nekkid girls lying on de beaches, is all goot no?:D
is getting naked really that big a deal?
It wasn't in the good ol' 1970's, witness the Hammer Vampire flicks and that SF classic 'Flesh Gordon' [all hail Flesh!!], now Halle Berry flashes her boobs for 10 seconds and a big deal is made out of it, its enough to make you weep...;)
SIGNATURE PHOTO OF HALLE BERRY REMOVED

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes its needed. Off the top of my head, The Crying Game would be a good example of how you need to show certain things to get the point across.

If you accept or attempt to get certain roles (such as the burnt out hooker/crack ho who sucks dick to buy her next fix)well, youre going to have deal with the fact that your most likely going to have to do some things that may seem "demeaning"(what ever that means)to make that character seem real on film.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Mixed reactions, I see. I should say that I was prompted to discuss this topic after rewatching La Belle Noiseuse in which the lovely Emmanuelle Beart poses nude for an artist. This might sound exciting, but you actually get used to her nudity after awhile as it is treated rather nonchalantly in the context of the film. Still, I had to wonder if any prominent American actresses would take on such a role. Julia Roberts? Not likely. If she did, I'm sure she'd insist upon body doubles and coy camera angles which would ultimately be more distracting than if she actually doffed her clothes! :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
There are certain people in this industry that need to keep their clothes on.
Sure there's lots of pretty and hot actresses I'd like to see nude, but hey, if they don't want to, that's fine by me.
Of course, this dude (Guy 2)I met at a party had an interesting take on things.
Guy 1: "There's like these two lesbians, and they're so hot, and they're always over each other."
Guy 2: "Are they bi?"
Guy 1: "Sadly no, they're actually bona fide lesbians."
Guy 2: "They're bi in my fantasy"
I like the way Guy 2 thinks. :laugh:

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I find interesting those actresses who posed nude in earlier movies and now refuse after they 'hit it big' - hmm what does that mean???

David Dennison

Second Unit
I think only rarely is nudity not superfluous to the movie (Crying Game is a good example of the exception), and I think it is perfectly acceptable for an actor or actress to refuse to do a nude scene.
That being said, I am all for more nudity on the big screen. Well, except for Harvey Keitel. :D

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
I think it shouldn't be a problem. Although maybe that's because I'm a guy and I want to see so many good looking actresses naked.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
When an actor/actress is hired to do a movie, they can specify their requirements. Whether it be "I want 32 moon pies delivered to my trailer every afternoon at 4:57 pm" or "I don't want to do nude scenes", it's reasonable to me that they set their own conditions. If they aren't given a role because of those requirements, well that's too bad for them. They can audition for films that won't have nudity or if they really want to cast him/her, they can agree to a body double.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I agree that actors have the right to refuse to do nude scenes or take on roles that they find objectionable. However, I have much more respect for those actors who are willing to push themselves to the limit for a role. I have little respect for someone like the aforementioned Julia Roberts who pretty much plays it safe. I'm not saying that she has to go as far as Maruschka Detmers in Marco Bellocchio's Devil in the Flesh, but she could certainly stand to take on more demanding roles. And don't mention Erin Brockovich! :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, someone like Jodie Foster doesn't have a problem with nudity if it drives the story forward, or develops the character, or shows where the character has been, and then from there allows for development of her character (Nell, The Accused).

But if it's for like the boobie-jello scene in Airplane! I don't see any problem with actresses not wanting to do scenes like that.

If they are comfortable with the rewards of showing off their jublees (like Halle Berry in Swordfish) more power to them. No biggee either way for me.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Patrick, good call. If I was going to make a list of actors I admire, Jodie Foster would be near the top. I also like Susan Sarandon, Robert DeNiro, and Harvey Keitel. Not that I like seeing Harvey naked, but he seems willing to tackle just about any role. :emoji_thumbsup:

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I agree completely. Wasn't there an actress quoted as saying "Now that I'm famous I don't have to do nudes anymore."?
I don't think there is anything wrong with this. We all know the acting business is tough and very cut-throat. If an actress is struggling, she may find herself playing roles with which she does not agree. Getting food on the table can be a pretty big incentive to do something you don't like. Once they make it big enough where life's neccesities are no longer in question, they are able to pick and choose. Those that don't have an problem with nudity continue to do it and those that do no longer have to.

I really don't see the problem, here. It happens in every occupation: the higher you get and the more money you make, the more able you are to be choosy about what you want and don't want.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Salma Hayek said that she never knew that she could have requested a body double for her bedroom scene with Antonio Banderas in "Desperado", but if she did know at that time, she would have went with a body double. Currently, she doesn't do nude work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks