What's new

Polkaudio Speaker Deal (1 Viewer)

717seemore99

Auditioning
Real Name
craig
I picked up a set of Polk R10s and the center speaker CS175I for $25 :eek:
They look new and sound good! I'd like a few opinions on these speaker from those who care to. I know they are a older model, thats about all I know about them.
What rear surround speakers would be a good match with these? Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
$25 was a pretty good deal. The R10's were very popular in-expensive speakers a couple of years ago. They were often on sale at Fry's for $50-60 a pair. The R50 towers (cherry) were on sale at Fry's yesterday for $69 each.

The R10's were usually used for surrounds with another pair for fronts or the R50's/R30's as fronts.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
Nice score. When first starting my system, I had the CS175 center. Not a bad starter. If yours is the "I" does it have the tri-lam tweeter? If so, even better. They have discontinued making that tweeter.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

717seemore99

Auditioning
Real Name
craig
Yes the Center is the "I" model. So, do you think I should use the R10's for the surround? What would be a good choice for the front , the R50's?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The R50's are a decent speaker for the price. Keep your expectations reasonable and they should round out your system fairly well. If you need an in-expensive subwoofer look at PartsExpress.com for their Dayton series.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Not R50s, but this comparison does feature a Polk R15:

Budget Bookshelf Speaker Shootout 2009

Did they like them? For a hint, here's a brief quote from their test conclusion: "......cop bullhorn......"

On a personal note, I have to agree with them (at least as far as the Polks Circuit City used to sell about 4 years ago): for me they were too bright; harsh with anything but the very best recordings; and overall had an unpleasantly "hard" sound. Without trying to be humorous a pair of Bose 301s in the same room sounded much better to me. IMO for movies the Polks were acceptable; for music, forget it.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
This is probably true but keep in mind that he already has the R10's and CS175i so he's pretty much locked himself in to the R series. And short-comings not withstanding, at $120-130 a pair (on sale at Fry's) for big old floor standers they're a decent speaker. Now, if he were starting from scratch I'd have recommended something else.

Another option would be to wait for Polks e-Bay store to offer the Monitor 30's again. They are from a newer series but they may be close enough to what he already has that it wouldn't be noticable. And they should be better for music.

On a side note, I'm surprised the Yamaha 6490's did as well as they did in that shootout. I had some simular but older A-635's which were only rated down to 90 hz and I thought that was generous. I also replaced the 4' mid-range with a Yamaha 4' car stereo mid I had laying around and it really improved the vocals which had sounded very thin. Again, a decent speaker for the price ($78 a pair in "91?) but I didn't think it was that good.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I am surprised too. I haven't heard this latest version but the previous one had same driver complement, including what looks like a lightly-built 8" woofer stuffed into a (too?) small sealed enclosure. Though I didn't think they were harsh sounding, I did think they sounded really bright, though I am thinking that is a relative thing because the woofer wasn't generating much bass (lower *or* upper!), so these may be good candidates for a subwoofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation496
Recent bookmarks