What's new

Polk woofer replacement (1 Viewer)

Hugh Scrivener

Stunt Coordinator
I posted this on the diy forum also, but thought i'd cover all my bases or should i say basses.If anyone has any suggestions,tips,links,etc. they would be of great help.I'd still like to keep this woofer for the bedroom after i upgrade to an SVS, which will be soon hopefully.

I have a Polk psw-350, that for a low-end product does ok, I have to admit I probably push it way to hard though.

My question is: Has anyone ever replaced the existing woofer with a different woofer? The woofer is rated a wopping 38Hz on the low end(which of course is questionable) while some woofers that are manufactured for car audio, made by Polk and others, are rated as low as 18Hz. I know that there are different types of woofers for different enclosures, but would I be able to use one of these in the Polk enclosure after matching the specs?

The Polk has a nice tone but rattles pitifully whenever real low freqs are around. I can barely watch Fight Club, and the THX logo at the opening of Phantom Menence is correctly named the sub-woofer killer.

Any help or info is greatly appreciated!!!!

Tim Bagby

Auditioning
i would have to say that you just need to hurry up and buy the svs sub. you have people counting on you to lead the way.......

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Hugh,
My thoughts can be found in this thread.
If you took the time to measure the internal volume of the cabinet and the size of the ports it's possible you could find a driver that would work in the Polk enclosure. But in the end you would be better off getting a new sub or building your own.
Regards,
Dan Hine

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks