What's new

polk vs. polk!! (1 Viewer)

daveJOS

Auditioning
hello audiophiles....I need some help. I am building a home theater system to be used mostly for tv and movies. I am going to get the pioneer 1014 or the yamaha 5760. I was looking at polk surround packages...the rm 6700 and rm 6800. I have heard the 6800 and they sounded decent. But I havent found a place to listen to the 6700's...but I did see reviews of the 6700 that were good, only problem is I can't find reviews of the 6800!! I can get both for around the same price...anyone know which are better??? My room is about 13X15.

Thanks....any input you may have would greatly be appreciated...please help!!!:)

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
I would think both systems would be close in performance. The 6700 has been around for a couple years, in fact the satellites have been in their systems for 4 years or so.

The 6800 does have a 10 inch sub instead of the 8 inch 303 model that the 6700 has.

Enjoy your new Polks, alot of us here do,

DG

Joey_V

Second Unit
Polk on polk violence is not condoned at HTF! LOL....

Enjoy your Polks! Soon you will become one of us, another Polkster or Polkie or Polkatese... whichever!

ronGarcia

Grip
I have used Polk speakers for the past 8 years and have never considered anything else since. Good luck and great choice on Polk system.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMO, I'd look at an RTi setup at least. They are better than the sub/sat systems. I find most people who buy sub/sat systems end up upgrading very soon.

What's the budget? There are a lot of good deals out there.

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator
--------
I'd look at an RTi setup at least.
--------

Not a bad idea....here's my take: Just look at Fry's Outpost deals on the R series. The price of a pair of R15s is cheap, cheap, cheap, but the quality is not. Get four of those, a Dayton 10" sub, and a CSi3 and you'd have a good setup for $400.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with John, upgrading from a set of 6600s awhile back to a full set of towers and dual subs to match my 8 foot front projector setup.

If you are looking at the system for a living room setup that has to be discreet, then the sats are great. If you are looking for the most sound for your $$$, look into bigger speakers that carry at least a 5 inch woofer.
An RTi6 setup with FXi3 surrounds and CSi3 center would rock. I second the Dayton sub idea also, as it will lay the Polk sub to rest.

Daman

Second Unit
I had a setup of RM6700's and later upgraded to RTIi's and FXi's combination. A whole lot of difference between them, would suggest you check them out. Circuit City had a close out sale a month or two back with the RTis, if u get lucky you might be able to pick them up.

Joey_V

Second Unit
RTi would be SWEET! If you can swing it, do it. Even if you have to start with only 2 speakers - I would still do it.

Starting off right with 2 solid speakers and building around it as money and time permits is a much more satisfying road to take, IMHO.

:D

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Consider used, The RTi lineup has been good for the past 5 years or so. The looks stayed the same until just this past year, just try and match tweeter material types if you can to get a timbre (tone) match. Polk carries all replacement parts of you should ever need it.

daveJOS

Auditioning
hello polkies....

Thanks for all the input. Although I'd love to get a floor stand or bookshelf system I can't fit them in the room. The only thing that would work is the satelites and sub set-up. I was able to listen to the 6800 today...but the Frys I went to only had it with the 6900's sub...so i still havent heard the true setup.

I did see a good deal on Onkyo reciever...I know this isnt the right place for this....but....whats the best 7.1 reciever for less than $500??? I saw and Onkyo, HK, Pioneer and yamaha...all for about the same. Any difference on which would drive the polks better??

thanks.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
At the $500 pricepoint, I would go with the one that offers the features you want. You won't hear a great difference in sound in any of those you mentioned through the sub-sat setup you chose. Any of those receivers will drive the setup to its limits.

Daman

Second Unit
Try Yamaha HTR 5760, its 7.1 and blends nicely with the Polks. If you are willing to go up a little bit in your budget you can get yourself a 5790 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks