1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Polk VS other stuff... Help please. Need comparisons

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jamie Penland, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Jamie Penland

Jamie Penland Auditioning

Well I got a chance to audition some different speakers in my price range at tweeters today. Must say nice store.

Anyhow, After listening to things, polk sound the best to me. They have a nice warm sound I like.

I think I have decided on a Denon 3803(yes i know its last yr model, but for less then a 2805, i think I prefer the little more power. Over a few new features)

Now on to the speakers:
    The setup I decided on for polk was

($959 for pair)2x RTi10 front
    ($199) CSi3 center
    ($179 each) 2x FXi3 surround

for sub, I'm undecided. none of the subs I heard had the "humph" that I wanted. My buddy has a Velodyne that is nice, but I didn't hear anything there that compared. Could be my buddy's is on hardwood, or settings. Not sure yet.

Now my question. Where I live, near Greenville SC. There is not much selection on places to buy and audition items.

I am curious how these speakers compare to the 'internet brands'. I hear many good things about axiom, swan, etc. But just dont have a place to audition them.

Also curious about how SVS subs compare to velodyne/polk(not impressed with polk subs at all). If anyone can post comparisions of those speakers to these it would be nice. I prefer more of a nuetral/warm sound over bright.

PS: The speakers will be used for DVd/Xbox mostly, and occasional TV. But I don't really care how TV sounds.

PSS: They also carry Mirage speakers, which sounded very nice. Any opinions.

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I can't give you much comparison between Polk and other brands since I've used Polk almost exclusively since getting into HT. The only other brand I've demoed for any period of time in my theater is PSB. I've got nothing but good to say about either brand, but I don't ever plan to use anything but Polk. Most of what's sold me on them is their service. They seem to be a fairly small company (office wise anyway) and they give you personal attention and service that you don't get many places now.

Also, my Polks are paired with SVS bass and the combination couldn't be much better in my ears.

3. Will-Layfield

Will-Layfield Stunt Coordinator

I think the polks are a great choice. I would look around at some local CC to see if they have any of the rti series left and maybe you could get a good discount on them since they were clearing them out. I got rti8x2 for $336 and a csi3 for under $179. It might be worth looking!

4. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

The Polk speakers are great, especially cost vs. performance. You're right about Polk subs being subpar though. I used to have a Polk PSW350 and thought it sounded decent... until I replaced it with a SVS 20-39+ and heard clean, accurate, kidney-rattling bass. There's no looking back once you've heard the difference. The SVS subs all blend quite nicely with Polk speakers, and I think you'd be very happy with that combination.

5. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

I'll also reaffirm your interest in Polk. I love mine and am always hearing positive comments from visitors to my HT. They are great for Peformance, Cost, and Service. They are actually an enormous company (number 2 or 3 I "think" in volume sales in the US), but are great at keeping the personal-level service up.

6. Jamie Penland

Thanks for the input guys. Just trying to figure out if I can justify $3k right now for speakers and such. Moved out not long ago, and could really use them.

Biggest problem I have is not settling, b/c i know if I do I will always want more.

I keep looking at HTiB for $1k but know that I wont be happy. Currently for me to feel like I got what I can be happy with for a long time, are the above speakers, a Denon 3803, and an SVS 20-39.

I figure that setup will keep me satisfied. Just got to give in and go to the store and make the leap.

Thanks again for your input.
    Jamie

7. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Jamie,

From what I've read, quite a few people felt the RTi8s sounded better. Granted, a bit less bass - but, if a sub is used, this should not be an issue.

I'm running my RTi8/CSi3 combo with a Yamaha HTR-5760 receiver and (2) Shiva subs. The sound is incredible.

In regards to your choice in selecting the Denon 3803 over the 2805, the 3803 might offer more than just a few extra watts. The 3803 could potentially have a better processing section, too. It's been a while since I've compared the specs on Denon receivers, so I can't comment too much futher. Also, the new 1905 and 2105 receivers will be released shortly - and run a few $$ less than the 2805 - but, will also have less power.

8. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

Jamie,

Since no one else recommended it, you should try http://www.audioenvy.com/ You should be able to find someone who live close to you to hear Swan, Rocket and SVS speakers. I think it is a fantastic resource.

Tom

9. Jamie Penland

wow thanks, found 1 guy within 50miles with swan, and 1 with an SVS sub.

Heh they the only 2 within 50miles, and when I open to 100miles i get it adding 2 guys with rockets. I contacted the people within 50.

Hopefully they will get back to me.

Thanks for the link.