Polk vs Cambridge Soundworks vs Wharfedale

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelMOS, Jan 19, 2003.

1. MichaelMOS

MichaelMOS Agent

I might have a small chance to pick up a pair of Polk R30 floorstanding for 200 for a pair plus shipping(they are 399 at CC). If that doesn't work, i can get a pair of Wharfedale Valdus for probably around 300 shipped. But the other option is to get a pair of Cambridge soundworks Tower III Speakers for 280 a pair(they sent a 20 percent off coupon) or even cheaper if i get a refurb through ebay.

So if i can't get the polks, what should i get? If i can get the polks for the price, is it worth the extra money for the others?

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

So you want us to tell you what to buy? Speakers are very subjective, what one person may like, another may not be able to stand.

In order for anyone to give you an "opinion or suggestion" and thats all it would be, much more information would be needed.

The very first question I would ask of you is:
    Have you "actually listened" to any of the speakers you listed?
    ======>
    Followed by:
    Do you have a certain dollar figure to spend, stay under?

What will be the use of the speakers. HT, Music, or both. And what percentage?

What receiver or amp are you going to be driving them with?

Will there be a seperate sub being run with them also?

Do you have any size constraints?

Are there speakers (a brand and model) that you have heard and liked the type of sound they produce?
    This would give us a better idea of what you like in terms of "general type of sound". Bright, laid back, ect.

Would you consider a different brand other than what you gave as choices?
    =======>
    Regardless of what we may suggest, in the end you have to be happy with them. So our recomendations or suggestions may help send you in a certain direction, but (YOU have really) got to be the one to make the choice.

Regards
    Geoff

3. Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson Stunt Coordinator

I love my R30s. I have R20s for the rear and the csi20 for the center. I spent quite some time listening to different speakers and the Polks just seemed to fill my ear better. I just picked up a pair of R30s from Frys for $178.00 and the R20s were $99 per pair. On my limited budget I could no be happier.

4. MichaelMOS

MichaelMOS Agent

5. MichaelMOS

MichaelMOS Agent

I talked to the guy from jandr and said that 310 is the lowest they can go because thats how much it costs them to buy from Polk. I wonder how frys gets them so low.

Anyway, it looks like i will be buying Cambridge Soundworks. I have this 20 percent off coupon and its too good to pass up. before i was going to have to buy all this stuff over time but i think i should be able to afford it all now.

Prices including the coupon.
    Tower III Series280 Plus Shipping for the pair
    Center Channel Plus104 Plus Shipping for 1
    MC100 bookshelf 192 Plus Shipping for 3
    BaseCube 8s Powered Sub144 Plus Shipping for 1

The reason i need the center/suround package is because this is going to be a 6.1 setup so i need those extra speakers. I might hold off on the sub since i have one already that could hold me. Including tax it should come to 575 and shipping appears to be free.

So if anyone can come up with a better idea on what i should get, let me know.

6. Jeff-Watson

I don't know how Frys does it either. All of mine are factory sealed and brand new. Not refurbs or blemished. I am glad they do though. I called CC before I went to Frys and they would not touch the price. I honestly cannot give you advice on the Cambridge set. If they sound good to you though thats what matters. Good Luck. I will do a little checking via the net and see what the best deal I can find for you on the polks are.

7. Jeff-Watson

8. Jeff-Watson

Sorry about the last link. It is a miss print. $149 each.

9. MichaelMOS

MichaelMOS Agent

yeah. thats jandr. 150 each would be 300 for the pair plus shipping. they offered 10 dollar shipping.

It might turn out ok though. cambridge soundworks has the Onkyo*TX-SR600 on sale for 419.99. I have a coupon for 10 percent off non-cambridge soundworks brands. the coupon doesn't says that i can't use it with other coupon codes so i want to see if i can use that coupon on receiver. but knowing the luck i have had so far, i doubt it.