What's new

Polk vs Boston Acoustics for rear speakers (1 Viewer)

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
I have narrowed my choice of rear speakers down a bit. Currently I am looking at the Boston Acoustics "Bravo" models as my #1 choice. They are $200 apiece, but sound good, are white, and fit in a corner spot I need to mount them in. The #2 choice is the Polk Atrium M45's. These too sound decent, are small, white, and can be wall mounted, but are somewhat bulkier. They are also $200 a pair, half the cost of the BA models.

Unfortunately I cannot test them side by side (they are in 2 different stores) so I cant compare.

Does anyone have any experience with these two so that they could give a recommendation?

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
i have no experience with the polk but am very partial to bostons. the tweeter in the bravo's are i believe the same as the lynfield tweeter in the more expensive lines in bostons. it has a 4 1/2" mid which puts out very good sound. i know they are more expensive then the polks but they seem to be exactly what you need. in the world of home theater we always are going to upgrade (or at least want to upgrade :)) quite a bit. if you can swing for the bostons i would personaly do that so you won't regret it in a few months. i am not saying "dont get the polks!!!" it just sounds like the b.a.'s will fit your application much better. good luck.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I second the Bostons simply because I have Boston's all around and love them. They are older Bostons, but they sound better than some of the newer models in my opinion. I have heard the Bravos as surrounds with higher end Bostons and was quite impressed.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Not to state the obvious, but why not match your mains/center?

If that doesn't matter, then I would go the cheaper route since you're not hearing the surrounds that much anyways. Put the extra money towards upgrading some other part of your theater. IMO

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
I was going to use these in the back, but would consider using a set of 4, along with a suitable center channel for all round speakers eventually. They will be coupled with a HS VTF-2, so low range performance isn't critical.

I currently own a front and center set of speakers (a 10 year old set of mediocre Bose 10.2, with a single 101) and dont want to replace something I already own before everything else in the HT is paid for. They are not awesome, but they are paid for. For their replacement I would consider a matching set to the new rear speakers, or an even better set from whatever manufacturer I choose (although I'm not sure how to accomplish the timbre matching everyone talks about).

AdamM

Grip
I don't know if you bought yet. I just purchased a set of HT speakers. I listened to Polk, Infinty, Klipsch, and Boston. I went with Polk. Find some music you are very familiar with and listen to it on each set of speakers. Also if you are eventually going to match up fronts, I would listen to those as well. I would buy with the intention sticking with that brand for the whole set.

Hope that helps.

Robert Cobb

Agent
I decided to use 3 Bravos as the surrounds in a 6.1 setup. I did this more to match my current center (VR910) and future mains (VR950). I did use the Bravos as the main speakers for a few days to really feel them out and was impressed. I was a bit worried about resonance from the plastic enclosure, but I haven't noticed any and think they make great surrounds. The variety of mounting options is very nice and assisted in wife approval. I auditioned JBL, B&W, and Def Tech before buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks