What's new

Polk RTi38s vs JBL S38II (1 Viewer)

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
I am leaning toward the RTi38s just because they are slightly smaller and are sold at a better dealer than the S38II. What do you guys think between these two?

I'm going to be pairing these with a Panasonic SA XR-25 Receiver and a Dayton 10" sub.

AaronJB

Second Unit
I have no experience with the Polks, but I just got the S38IIs this past week, since they are at a very reasonable price due to the fact that they are discontinued. They are very large speaks for "bookshelf" status (they weigh just less than 30 pounds each), but they provide a very rich, dynamic sound that I'm pleased with. I've also been thrilled with the S-Center - the center with the Studio series.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
I am using a pair of Polk RTi38's as front speakers down in the kids recroom system. IMO they are a very good sounding speaker. Now that Polks new RT line has come out you should be able to find them for a very attractive price. BTW the shipping weight is 42lbs/pair.

Joseph Sabato

Stunt Coordinator
First, I would not get hung up over what dealer you are buying them from, unless you plan to trade up in a short period of time and the "better dealer" has a good trade in policy.

Both are good sounding speakers at moderate volumes; the Polks will give you a more laid back sound than the JBL's, which are a little more "in your face" but nowhere near what old JBL's were like. When it comes to dynamics and the ability to play at high volumes cleanly, the JBL's are a much better choice than the Polks. They also have better bass response, when Tom Nousaine tested them, the maximum bass output at 10% distortion was > 90db at 32HZ which is better than a lot of small subs can do.

They do have some issues you have to consider, they are large and heavy and you will need some sturdy stands if you plan on using stands; they also need to be horizontally oriented to get the best imaging out of them, easy to do on a bookshelf, a little goofy looking on stands.

I currently have an all S-series HT setup; S38's and S-Center front and S36's in back and for playing movies at cinema type volumes, they are hard to beat for anywhere near the $$$ spent. (2 Tempest based subs carry the .1 info)

That said, I have also owned several series of Polks over the years and was very happy with them when I owned them. From your post, since you will be pairing them with a Sub, the Polks will make a nice system for music.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
The Polk RTi6 replaces the RTi38. Hence the $ difference at Crutchfield. The new RTi line uses a different woofer & tweeter and sports a new cabinet design. You can compare the RTi6 vs the RTi38 at the Crutchfield site. If you are leaning towards the RTi38 don't wait too long, when they're gone thats it. If you have a Circuit City near you see if they have any left. We got ours there NIB for a closeout price of $150/pr in September. A word of advice, see if you can find the timbre matched center while you're at it, preferably the CSi40.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks