What's new

Polk RTi38 VS JBL N's? Help a newbie! (1 Viewer)

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Right now i have:
Harmon 325 Receiver with JBL two N26's, two N24's and one N-center....not sure if this other stuff matters but, also:
65 Toshiba "HDTV HX
Pioneer 563
Velodyne 10"

How much of a upgrade is the Polk RTi38's and the center CSI40?

My friend at Future shop can order me SIX RTi38's and the one CSI40 center for cost....which is half price.

I only have 5 speakers now but i just got this Harmon 325 so i can have 7.1.

So how much of a upgrade are the Polk speakers compared to the JBL's i have right now?

Thanks a ton guys for any thoughts.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Well, I'll take a stab at this before Phil I. sees this thread and jumps all over it proclaiming and extolling all the virtues of JBL's revolutionary, award winning sound and how JBL is the greatest thing ever and that you shouild simply keep what you've got because nothing is as good as JBL.
First of all, the receiver you have should match up pretty well with either of them.
The JBL's will probably sound a little "brighter" and more "forward" to you, with a little more "bite" at the top end on the tweeter, and slightly better dynamics. The Polk's will probably sound more "laid back" and "warmer", a little richer, fuller, and smoother with better bass and midrange.
Which sound do you prefer?
To some people "bright" is a good thing meaning detail, and to others, it's bad meaning "honkiness", piercing, or glaring. If you can, get at least 1 pair of the Polks in your house where you can A/B audition them and compare them to each other. Circuit City has some great prices on Polks right now (maybe even better than what your friend can get?) and a very generous return policy. Why not get a pair of Polk 38s from them and see which you like better for 2 channel stereo music?
Regardless though, I don't think the Polks would be a tremendous, humongous upgrade over the JBLs you have now, even if you do like them better. It would probably only be marginal at best.

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
Great tips, thanks.

My N24's are tiny bookshelf speakers...i figured if i upgraded them to the bigger speakers, it would make a huge diffrence in sound.

I'm such a newbie at this stuff and have no idea what to do!

My entire problem is i have 5 speakers now, but i want 7.1, so i need 2 more speakers.

My friend who works at the store told me i could get two more N26's or N24 and use those for the back 2 speakers.

OR i could UPGRADE to the polks and get 6 of them at cost......but if its not going to be much of a diffrence....

I know the N24's i have retail for (CANADIAN)$249 and the N26's are $299 per pair.

The polk RTI38's retail for $479 a pair. Thats quite a jump in price so i figured it may be worth it if i can get 7 speakers for half price.

So just because the polks are MUCH more expensive, it doesn't mean they are MUCH better?

Should i just keep my TWO N26's and TWO N24's and get TWO more 24's or 26's for the back? This will save me a ton of money i guess.
But if the Polks are that much better i would to go with them.

One last thing.
If i keep my 24's and 26's....where should i use the little 24's? REAR L + R or Surround L + R?
I will put the 26's at the front.....then either buy another pair of the 24's or 26 and use them for the back.

Thanks a ton guys for any help or opinions....sorry if my writting is confusing :)

One more thing.....i was looking at the JBL ND310II speakers for my front, but i did some reading and i came across some info......i have a Velodyne 10" sub so i don't need these speakers......my N26's are fine because the ND310II produce to much bass out of them...any thoughts?
I could always just get the ND310II for the front then i can move my N26's to the back and my N24 will be in the back also.

Thanks so much guys.

Ron Daily

Grip
Dustin, I have not heard the jbl,s but i do own a set of RTi38,s and i really love the sound of them. I think circuit city has them on sale right now for less than $279 a pair. Ron :)

Ron Daily

Grip
Sorry wayne.....i didn't know. I bought mine new sealed in the box on ebay for around $250.00. That's another option you might want to consider. Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks