Polk RTi28 or Axiom M3ti

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kalvin Liu, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Kalvin Liu

Kalvin Liu Auditioning

Hi im pretty new to home theater and just recently bought my first pair of speakers which are polk rti28's for $200. After a few days i stumbled upon axiom audio and their line of speakers. My question is, are the axiom speakers worth the extra hassle and the money? Are there any other speakers i shouldve looked at before i bought the polks? BTW, its not that i dont like the polks because i really do, im just wondering if i am missing anything by buying the polks so quickly.

2. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

Slow down and sniff the roses Kalvin... You've done fine so far, the RTi28's are excellent little speakers for a very fair price. You've already said you really enjoy them, so don't stress. I have their older counterpart, the RT25i's and a friend of mine has the Axiom M3ti's. We both agree that both pairs are excellent. Both will give you excellent imaging and clear and crisp mids/highs. For bass they are both good for their size, with maybe a small nod to the Polk's. My point? Enjoy your purchase, don't suffer from Premature-Upgraditis. [​IMG]

3. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pierce
    I'd say its a matter of taste -- on the high end, you'll get somewhat brighter highs from Axiom's titanium tweeter or the ever so slightly laid back highs the Polk's silk polymer composite tweeter. Both sound good, it comes down your preference. On the low end, the Axiom may get the nod on low frequency extension, but not by a lot, and you'll want a sub with either anyway.

Personally, I just picked up a set of the RTi28s at my local Circuit City. I'm using them on my Sony DA4ES. I was on a real tight space budget, so no RTi38s, and I was considering the smaller Axiom or the Rocket 150s, but since the receiver is a bit forward and the room has hardwood floors and no wall treatment, I felt that going with something a bit more laid back with a silk/poly tweeter would help keep things from getting excessively bright. So far I'm very pleased. They're a huge step up from what I had before (which isn't hard).

4. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I have a pair of Polk RT25i's as my surround backs. They sound great! I say just stay with what you got and enjoy! BTW, I listened to some music for awhile with the RT25i's hooked up instead of my Definitive Pro Towers and they do sound great as mains. If I was going to run bookshelves as my mains I would not hesitate on buying more Polk RT series.[​IMG]

5. Kalvin Liu

Kalvin Liu Auditioning

Well your replies all make sense to me and Im going to keep my polks which sound great! Since i got them at circuit city i may upgrade to the rti38's sometime in the near future. Now all i need is a good sub...

6. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I run 5 Polk RTi28's and a CSi30 with a SVS 20-39CS+ setup. The Polks have a more mellow character than many of the other speakers I auditioned, which works for my carpet-on-concrete-slab room. If you're looking for a good sub to match the RTi28's, the SVS blends very nicely with the Polks. Cross them over at 80Hz and get phase lined up and you'll get a perfect transition with no dropoff across the crossover range. The RTi28's extend low enough to maintain directionality of mid-bass as well, which is important when you're playing The Haunting DTS at totally unreasonable levels. [​IMG]

7. Kalvin Liu

Kalvin Liu Auditioning

unfortunatly I think the svs is a bit out of my price range. i have been looking for a infinity interlude il120s. heard this was the best bang for the buck. any opinions? price range is around $300

8. MikeSta

MikeSta Auditioning

Best bang for the sub buck is the:
    Cheap end -- Sony SA-WM40 if you can find it, or the new 500 model: a slight mod and they really hit, the best in its price rage by FAR. Check out the reviews, most people start out with the Sony then work over to the heavy hitters. ($150-200) Dont let the price fool you, its a great sub.

Higher end - Velodyne CHT Series Subs: I would suggest looking at the 10" for around $399 or the 12" for $499. They will give you a great thump in the chest for the $. Plus they are sold at CC so you can buy the smaller one and work your way up.

As far as subs go you will be directed to SVS or HSU which are considered by most as THE BEST SUB FOR THE $. They start a few bills higher than your target price but if you can afford them you will be happy.

9. Kalvin Liu

Kalvin Liu Auditioning

could the velodyne CHT's really match up to the infinity? i heard that the interludes sound pretty sweet, especially with the RABOS.

10. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Honestly, don't cheap out on the subwoofer. Since you're using bass management, a less-than-capable subwoofer will essentially degrade the sound of the rest of your speakers. If it takes a little longer to get a sub because you're saving for something better, then SAVE UP! If you buy a cheap sub "for now", then you're basically throwing money away. IMHO, the subwoofer is the most crucial element for a home theater. It takes the strain off of your speakers, gives you more headroom on your receiver, and just generally gives you that sense of theatrical sound. But then, that's just my opinion...

11. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Kevin, for $300 or so price range, you absolutely, unequivocally will NOT find a better sub than the Infinity IL120s. I realize that is very bold, brash statement, but let's see anyone else here top it.

12. ShaunLB

Kevin,

I just got back from a 3 or 4 hour head-to-head comparison of my RT25i's and my friends M3ti's. We used a nice Cambridge Audio amp and also had an 8 inch Axiom subwoofer. After listening to some jazz, some folk rock, a bit of alternative rock, and a LOT of Pink Floyd and Allman Brothers we both came to the same conclusion:

(Notice, I know you've already bought your RTi28's, but I'll format this for people that haven't bought either also) We recommend buying whichever you can get cheaper/easier and/or whichever looks better to you. Also think ahead in terms of 5.1 if you plan on surround and what you might want then....we both had to admit...the differences between the speakers are VERY small. Paired with a good sub both give you incredibly clean and detailed highs and amazing imaging with a rich midrange.

I told my friend about you question here on the forum and he said after the first hour "tell him that it sounds just like I'm listening to my Axiom's" after we had heard an hour of my RT25i's. They are amazingly similar. The RTi28's should be incredibly comparable to the 25s.

I cannot imagine anyone being unhappy with either pair of these speakers in a properly setup system running quality material. They make setups costing many times the price seem inadequate. Enjoy! [​IMG]

13. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Shaun, great post. Both of your ears heard the same thing. It makes me wonder how many people can really tell differences anyway. I know me personally when comparing, I can only the tell the differences immediately right off the bat. The longer I listen, the more they start to sound the same. Did you guys match SPLs on them just in case one is more efficient than the other?

14. ShaunLB

We did not have an SPL meter available to match them exactly but it was frightening how close they were in output at the same volume position. Though we didn't have time to try it, we agreed that even using one of each speaker in a stereo pair would sound almost like using two of the same speaker.

If I HAD to nitpick and point out any MINOR MINOR variations, I'd say the Polk's had a slightly more "rounded" extreme upper end while the Axioms were a bit more "sharp". Neither rounded or sharp was a bad thing either, both allowed music to sound full of life and maintain accuracy.

The Polk's seemed to maybe go a "smidgen" lower, but at this size/price and when paired with a sub, you likely wont notice. Both are amazing deals that I would put up against any other speaker of similar configuration under $1000.

15. ShaunLB

Another item I forgot to mention. Only at CONSIDERABLY high volume did any small difference begin to show. At typical listening volume I'd wager a person that has owned one set for years wouldn't notice a difference if they lights went out and the other pair was seemlessly switched on.

16. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

You know Shaun, I wonder how much it's really necessary to set equal SPLs if the speakers are close in efficiency anyway. I mean, how many of our ears can really notice a slight discernible difference anyway? It would be different though, if you were comparing something drastically different, such as say Klipsch to M&K for example, or something like that, but in most cases it probably isn't really that big of a deal.

17. ShaunLB

I feel the same way. BTW, are you the same Russ from the Polk Forum?

18. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Shaun, no that's someone else.