Polk RTi12 vs LSi15

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JimmyJ, Jun 5, 2005.

1. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Auditioning

Im a novice and need some help in deciding between the 2 speakers Polk RTi12 vs LSi15. I will also get the matching center to go with them and drive them with a Denon 3805 with an SVS sub. They will only be used for HT. I am tempted to go with the lsi, but the 4 OHms is making me nervous.

Any advice

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The LSis would definitely be the better speakers, IMO. I'd probably want more power for them than the 3805, but it should work adequately until you picked up a separate amp to drive 2 or more of them - the LSiFX surrounds (or 7s) are also 4 Ohm.

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

The 3805 will not drive LSi reliably. It will get very hot and/or shut down. This issue of Denon AVR and LSi compatibility has been discussed at Club Polk many times and the general consensus is it's a bad idea. The 3805 will, however, make a fine pre/pro, and an external multi-channel amp (Outlaws are common with Polk owners) will work fine.

4. John Garcia

John
    I have a Marantz 8300 and I drive 3 4 Ohm speakers up front, which are similar in spec to LSi9s. I ended up adding monoblocks because the 8300 did not sound totally happy at elevated levels. After adding amps, all is good.

5. JonStern

JonStern Agent

I originally had an all-LSi HT setup which made me sufficiently unhappy to start from the beginning and get RTis. I couldn't be happier now with the LSis shining in a music-only system and the RTis delivering big time for HT. My biggest gripe was with the LSiC: dialog was just hard to hear without boosting the volume 3 or 4db despite matching levels initially with a meter. When I received the CSi5 I was in shock: it's about 3 times the size of the LSiC! Exactly what you need to handle the heavy-duty HT center channel.

I also had no trouble driving the LSis with a Denon 3803 (at moderate volume) but the dynamics improved enormously when my Outlaw 755 was installed.

I think the RTi12s are great but if you're getting a SVS sub why not consider the RTi8s? They go down to 40Hz on their own, and wouldn't you be crossing over to the sub at 60 or 80Hz anyway?

Music:

Denon 3803 AVR
    Outlaw 755 amp
    Outlaw ICBM
    Sony SCD-C2000ES SACD
    Polk LSi15/LSi9/LSiC (front/surround/center)
    SVS PCi Ultra sub

HT:

Denon 1905 AVR
    Outlaw 7100 amp (on the way)
    Panasonic 27"
    Panasonic DVD-RP62
    Polk RTi8/CSi5/RTi6/FXi5(front/center/surround/back)
    Velodyne F1200 sub

6. John Garcia

John
  7. ShelbyB

ShelbyB Stunt Coordinator

As mentioned, Club Polk forum members have addressed this issue at great frequency. The Denon can drive the LSi, just not do it very well. The LSi will be performing well below their potential. The RTi 12 will be a better match, but, even they would benefit from a beefier amp.

8. DaveBlairW

DaveBlairW Auditioning

JimmyJ - I recently upgraded my home theater with Polk RTi10 mains, CSi5 center and FXi5 surround speakers.

I have only had these new RTi's in my home for 2 weeks, but they produce a large and powerful soundstage driven by a Marantz SR8400 receiver. I plan on a full report with first impressions after completing a reasonable break-in on the RTi's.

I also considered the LSi series due to rave reviews and the great design esthetics, but backed off due to Polk's genuine 4 ohm spec on the LSi. I didn't want to paint myself into a corner by requiring an almost immediate upgrade for power to control the LSi's 4 ohm resistance.

Nebraska Furniture Mart demos the Polk RTi series with the Denon 3805 receiver. DVD movies and CD/SACD music sounded fantastic with this combination. I believe you won't go wrong with this setup in your home.

9. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I also agree with the RTi8 recommendation if you are using a high quality external subwoofer. The RTi8 has dual midrange drivers - more than the RTi10 and equal to that of the RTi12.

If you are going to be high passing the speakers by setting them to small, there is no reason to buy your bass twice. The RTi8 will sound just as good as the RTi12 when both are set to small.

Setting the RTi12 to large would be the only way to really take advantage of their bass capability. And a large setting will tax the already limited amp section of the 3805 and also create three sources of low bass in the room, with possible creation of room modes that won't otherwise exist with one source of low bass.

If you really want the RTi12, set them to large and cut loose with an external amp with around 300 watts per channel. That's the only way to take full advantage of what they have to offer.

With that said, if you buy the RTi8 and set them to small and put the money you saved toward the best SVS you can afford, this will still easily provide far better low bass capability than any of the RTi12 options discussed above.

I recently installed a 7.1 Polk/SVS system consisting of a AVR-2803, RTi8, CSi5, FXi3, RTi4, and 20-39PC+ and it performs exceedingly well and the 2803 has no problems driving any/all of these 8 ohm speakers when set to small.