Polk RTi100s ?s

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JohnnyO, Apr 13, 2004.

1. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Auditioning

I'm building a home theatre stereo system for a new home. The room I'll be setting up in will be about 15' X 25' with 9' ceilings. It will be used for about 80% music and 20% home theater. I was looking at the RTi10s with CSi5 and FXi5s for a system. I have a harman kardon 630 receiver. I found some reasonably priced RTi100s (on closeout). Two questions: 1. Would these be a good choice for my setup instead of the RTi10s? I listened to them and they sound pretty solid, and have more bass than the RTi10s because of their built-in subs. I was just wondering what any of you have experienced with them, good or bad. I do plan on buying a subwoofer. 2. Since these are being phased out, will the newer models of Polk center and surround speakers match these if I can't find the phased out center and surrounds to match?

Thanks for any info,
    John

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Have you listened to any other speakers? If you are 80% music, I'd definitely consider other speakers. Aside from the LSi line, I don't find Polk that appealing for music. What's your budget?

IMO, the 100s will be better than the 10s, even if you add a sub.

In terms of timbre match, you should get the front three at the same time, as it is not so critical to perfectly match the rears. The newer model surrounds should still match well enough that you will be fine.

3. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Auditioning

My budget is about $1,650 for speakers, without the sub. I've listened to quite a few including klipsch, Energy, BAs, and M&K. I'm not a big fan of JBL and Infinity. I have some higher end hearing loss, and they sound too metallic to me at the higher frequencies.

I do seem to like the 100s better than the 10s. I would probably get the CSi5 and the FXi5s to match. I hear so much about SVS subs, I was thinking about adding one then to round out the system.

4. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

JohnnyO,
    I'd stick with the Rti10's, Csi5, and Fx5's. To my ears they are a cleaner and more detailed speaker than the Rti100's. If you like the way the polks sound, then that's all you need, I think they perform quite well for both movies and music alike. Everyone hears something different, so the only opinion that matters is yours.

5. jad

jad Agent

I've heard the Polk Rti10's and they aren't very good for music being overly bright. I would listen to the Athena speakers, much better and cheaper to boot.

6. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

JohnnyO,
    Keep in mind that no matter what you get, they may very well sound quite different once you set them up in your room. If at all possible, try to audition the speakers in your home.

7. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Auditioning

Thanks for the input... I'm leaning toward getting them. I've always liked Polk's sound. It would help me save a few bucks on the system as well.