Polk Rti-4 bright?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JeremyErwin, Apr 16, 2006.

1. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

I'm thinking of upgrading my front speakers-- the ones I have are old, and have some problems. (Infinity RS-9). I was thinking of replacing them with some inexpensive Polk Monitors (30 or 40) but was somewhat unimpressed with the sound. I walked over to tweeter, and demoed a Polk RTI-4. Somewhat more impressive than the Monitors. But very bright, and almost shrill.

Here's the problem. The Tweeter that was selling the Rti-4s used denons to demo their speakers. I also may have selected a CD with specialized sonic characteristics (Bartoli's Opera Prohibita). Basically, I know one particular track well, and it sounds perfect on my Grado SR-80s. And, I have an Onkyo 502, which apparently sounds different than the Denons.

Tweeter has, iirc, Pioneer Elite, Yamaha, and Denon. Will I be able to obtain a demo of the Rti4 that would approximate what I would get if connected them to my home system? My CD player, if that makes any difference at all, is a Sony 2000ES SACD changer.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've always found most of the recent generaton Polks to be a bit bright, with the exception of the LSis.

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

um, has the databsae been repaired?

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

hmm. I had an altogether different experience at the Meyer-Emco demoing a B&W 303 (with a yamaha receiver)
    Probably more my type of speaker, though I shall have to do some critical listening to identify which parts of my dem disc were incorrectly rendered on my old speakers.