What's new

Polk RT1000i and LSiC Timbre Matched?? (1 Viewer)

Rich_F

Auditioning
Wondering if anyone has tried the old Polk RTxxi, or RTxxxi, lines with the new LSiC center. Also interested in opinions on the difference in quality between the CS245i and the LIiC.

I'm pondering speaker upgrades, but I'm depressed about how long it'll take me to get to where I can make a significant upgrade to my whole 5.1 speaker system. So, in my "instant-gratification-seeking" way, I'm wondering if upgrading my present center (CS245i) to a new center will get me much of an improvement.

Of course, if anyone has ideas about another brand (beside Polk) which would fit in well, glad to hear about that also...

Here's the background: I'm currently running RT1000i's as mains, RT25i's as surrounds, and the CS245i as the center. In my opinion, the weak link is the CS245i which, to me, sounds a bit bright and "zizzy" - the sibilants ("s" sounds) sound a bit hissy... just not really satisfying to my ears. (My sub's a problem also, but somehow that doesn't bother me as much... there's more talking than booms and rumbles in most movies, it seems to me...) Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the RT1000i's and the RT25i's...

Although I want to eventually upgrade the whole 5.1 system, that'll take a coupla years of squirreling away cash (not to mention convincing my wife that, in fact, a few grand isn't an unreasonable amount for a nice speaker package...)

So, I'm thinking that replacing the weakest link A) makes some sense, B) might make a noticable improvement, and C) could be accomplished quickly and with little risk of divorce or injury.

For what it's worth, I'm driving everything with a Yamaha RX-V630 receiver (75W X 5, I believe, for my 5-channel purposes, though it'll also run a 6.1 system).

Any opinions appreciated.

Rich

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Rich:

Your problem is an easy fix. Polk is coming out with a totally redesigned RTi line in October. Dump your RX-V630 for the incoming RX-V1400 7.1THX.

If this is too much money, borrow a Polk CSi40 center, and a LSiC to audition. The LSi has a sweet sounding Vifa tweeter - should be much better than your CS245i. The CSi40 is also newer tech. than your current center.

Get the 3 front speakers hooked with some affordably decent cables like the Oval Analysis 12.

You must, however, IMHO, upgrade your receiver to a newer, much better Yamaha. Improvements to the voicing of the center will be readily apparent. If you keep the 630, you won't get the results you are looking for. I've had enough receivers to be positive about this.

JaimeB

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The Vifa ring tweet in the LSi series, and the tri-lam tweet in the RT are not a good timbre match.

Furthermore, the LSi series presents a difficult impedance load for most receivers, and is really much better served with a high current separate amp like the B&K or Adcom 5 or 7 channel HT amps.

The CS400i is a timbre match for the RT1000i and will provide a simply huge performance improvement over the CS245i. The tweet will be identical, though, so if you have issues with sibilance, that really won't change. The sibilance might be a soundtrack problem (I've heard it before on certain DVDs and recordings and not at all on others), or possibly a match-up problem between AVR and speaker. Overall, I have found the tri-lam to be a nicely detailed tweeter that is not harsh. It is not in the same league as the Vifa ring tweeter though.

If you want to upgrade to LSi, take the plunge and do it all around, and upgrade the amp at the same time. Otherwise I think you be disappointed with just the LSiC and your current AVR.

Ed

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
The CS400i is now called the CSi40, and I concur with Edward, it would be a better timbre match with the RT1000i than the sweet sounding LSi.

Anyway, a receiver upgrade should be considered.

JaimeB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks