What's new

Polk RT1000/800i's/CS400i/FX500i (1 Viewer)

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Has anyone had a chance to demo these speakers? I plan on getting a nice SVS 20-39PC as well.
Thanks.

Robert Drew

Auditioning
My HT system uses several of the speakers you mentioned and I am quite happy with its sound, performance & value.
Mains: RT-10 (older Polks that I still love for 2 channel)
Center: CS400
Surround: Fx500
Sub: Velo CT-120 (good, but saving up for an SVS :))
For your mains, I would recommend the RT1000i over the RT800i. To me they had a better balanced sound and superior imaging. However, the RT1000i have built-in powered subs/woofers that you really aren't going to need since you're getting a quality sub.
Instead, you might consider going with the bookshelf RT55i or RT35i models for your mains, since you will be running them as "small" anyway, relying on your sub to do the job down low. This has been a popular choice with a number of recent Polk owners, and I would rate either of these models as superior to the current RT800i model.
As always, let your own ears do the walking, and try to listen to them using the same/similar receiver that you have. If you don't have a receiver yet or are looking to upgrade that too, Denons seem to pair well with Polk speakers (I have a Denon 3300). Whatever you buy, enjoy your new HT system!

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I used to have the RT1000i's till I upgraded to the 2000i's. Both are very sweet speakers- the 2000's just have better mid-bass extension IMO.
I have a set of 55i's on top of them ( wierd eh?) and 800i's for surround. I used to have the 800's up front with the 1000's and sounded great also. I also happen to have a large living room. My center is the cs400i.
I look at it this way.. If you do a lot of low level listening and use stereo on tv a lot..get the 1000i's, other wise I'd get the 800's or 55's with the sub as you mentioned.(either way..get a sub) I have had all of em in the sweet spot..and all have thier own charactoristics...
what it will come down to is price , install and room enviroment. You cannot go wrong with any of them IMO.
Good Luck..thomas_A
Front: 2000i's,55is
center: 400i
surround: 800i
sub: velodyne ct150
reciver: Yammie 795a
------------------
So far, So good, So what
Link Removed
http://thomas2307.homestead.com/thomasworld.html
[Edited last by Thomas_A on October 26, 2001 at 06:37 AM]
[Edited last by Thomas_A on October 26, 2001 at 06:38 AM]

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
So the RT55i can play loud and clean for home theater and music? I was thinking of getting a pair since they're so cheap through Crutchfield. They'll be set on small, thanks to the new addition of an SVS 25-39. I have a CS400 center and it is great. My old 245 would snap, crackle and pop; where the 400 is loud and clean. It seems since that's pretty much the same set up as the RT55i, they'd be a nice set up.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
quote: So the RT55i can play loud and clean for home theater and music? [/quote]
Basically, yes.
I have the RT55's, CS400 and RT25i's. Excellent speakers, build quality is top-notch and Polk CS is the best. All my Polks are set to large and they preform extremely well.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon
[Edited last by Ron-P on October 26, 2001 at 09:39 AM]

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Thanks so much for the replies. The only problem I can see now is how to hide the speaker wires for the rear surrounds. I didn't plan on hanging them on the wall since they would be roughly 8 ft from the floor. If I had speaker stands to sit them on by the couch, how could I hide the speaker wire?
Should I plan on hanging them on the wall?

JamesHB

Agent
Real Name
James
I've got the rt800's in the front & rear and the cs400 in the center. I've had em for about a year and have really enjoyed them for movies and music. Like Ron-P said, the build quality is solid.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I test drove these speakers when I was looking for speakers. I thought they were really nice, but not as refined as the paradigms IMO. I was testing the RT1000's and the 800's. Not enough midbass for me and the tweeter was a little harsh. Could have been that they were new speakers though.

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
1) I am concerned that the 55i's for the fronts might not output as well compared to the 800i's. What do you all think?
2) Would the Polk RT55i's or the FX500i's work best for the rear surrounds? The 55i's are 100.00 cheaper as well.
3) Also, would you all recommend hanging the rear surrounds on the wall or using speaker stands?
[Edited last by John M Welch on October 26, 2001 at 07:18 PM]

JohanK

Second Unit
1) I am concerned that the 55i's for the fronts might not output as well compared to the 800i's. What do you all think?
2) Would the Polk RT55i's or the FX500i's work best for the rear surrounds? The 55i's are 100.00 cheaper as well.
3) Also, would you all recommend hanging the rear surrounds on the wall or using speaker stands?
1: 800s will go a little lower but don't sound as refined IMO. If you will run them small, I would recommend the 55s. The 55s will go plenty loud.
2: IMO, the 55s if you are willing to move the couch away from the back wall a few feet (I'm assuming this is your setup). If not, get the 500s and mount them on the wall.
3: See 2.
In any case, I can recommend the 400 center channel speaker.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks