Polk RM6700

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Brehm, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Bob Brehm

Bob Brehm Auditioning

Does anyone have an opinion on the subject speaker system? It just became available recently.

Bob

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The older 6600 appears to have slightly better numbers. I would expect it to sound basically the same as the 6600, which, IMO, is not that great. Tiny speakers just don't cut it as mains, no matter what you do. The JBL NSP-1 package + an inexpensive sub can be had for about 1/2 that price and will perform just as well, if not better. When I say the same, I also don't think the NSP-1's N24s are great as main speakers.

3. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Your best bet is to find a dealer that has this system and listen to it yourself. The Polk satelite systems do work very well. Numbers/spec's are not going to give you any idea of the characteristics that any speaker has. Your ears will be the best judge of what sounds good to you.

Polk does an excellant job with their smaller systems, better than most really!

4. Miklsan K

Miklsan K Agent

Actually, the 6700 does sound a little better than the 6600 in my opinion. The satellites are physically a little larger, and they incorporate a pretty ingenious version of the Power Port system they use on their larger speakers. That should give them a little better mid-bass (what little mid-bass a 3 inch driver can produce). Like Frank says, take a listen!

5. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

Bob,

I'm familiar with the 6600's, and I imagine they are somewhat similar (6700's may well be improved, but I'd guess it's not an enormous difference).

I will confess I had looked at these as the end-all-be-all of home theater speakers. This is largely due to the fact that I went with a friend several years ago to buy home theater speakers for his apartment, expecting to pick up a set of Bose Accoustimas (this was YEARS ago [4], before the internet!) Surprisingly it was the Circuit City sales guy who recommended looking at the Polk's, saying they sounded better. They did, and by comparison they became king.

got a set for my parents this summer (they didn't want big speakers). I have found they work quite nice for home theater, but for music, they're not as good. a nice choice where small size is important. having said that, after considering them for myself, I've switched to the idea of getting Paradigms. after being tipped off to the advantages by the forum, I became sold on bookshelves over satellites. as you can imagine, they sound fuller.

If you go this route, you might want to look for 6600's on sale, as the 6700's replaced them. The Wiz in NY had them on sale for $399 (minus sub), which is quite the markdown from the close to $700 (minus sub) they were at. I think Crutchfield has/had them marked down as well.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Lou has a good idea. I've seen the 6600 without sub going for even less than that locally.