What's new

Polk RM6600, Sub, and DTS/DD question (1 Viewer)

Colin H

Auditioning
I'm thinking of purchasing Polk's RM6600 sat/sub set with a PSW350. I understand that you hookup the sub to the L/R output of the receiver and the L/R speakers to the sub. I believe with DTS and etc. that the LFE output is its own discrete channel in the X.1 formats. Wouldn't by not hooking up the sub to the "sub out" of the amp loose that discrete channel and therefore degrade the whole DTS experience? The sub will only respond to what goes to the front speakers....this doesn't seem right to me.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
You can do both. The sub speaker will respond to the lowest freq's in the Main's feed and send along only the higher freq's. The LFE feed is also sent to the amp, and the sub will play both silmutaneously.
Or you can set all speakers to small (preferred) and send all the bass into the LFE feed.
You can have your cake and eat it too.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
When using the speaker level inputs to the sub, the receiver should be setup with the front L & R to Large, the center/surrounds to Small and the sub to Off. This will redirect the bass from the center/surrounds to the front L & R.

If you use the sub out on the receiver to the sub line level input, then the receiver should setup will all speakers to Small and the Sub to On. Then all the bass from the speakers will be redirected to the sub out.

Lou Balch

Auditioning
Since most AVRs subout is fixed at 80Hz, and the RM6600 sats F3 is somewhere around 150Hz, you get a big dip in your midrange between 80-160Hz (that's an entire octave!) if you use a sub out cable. Whereas, the speaker level connection as outlined by Craig above will allow you to adjust the XO point on the PSW-350 to get a much smoother transition between the sats and sub. BTW, this is the hook up method preferred by the mgf.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks