Polk R50s & R15s Advice

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Rajen, May 14, 2005.

1. Rajen

Rajen Agent

I have just added an SVS PB12-ISD2 sub to my Yamaha HTR 5250. Both of which I purchased after doing research on this forum!! I have become a Bassaholic and I have the upgrade itch. I want to upgrade my speakers. I am currently using some old Polk floor standing speakers with a 6" midrange and a tweeter, a polk CS-200 center and some KLH bookshelf for rear surrounds. I have $1500.00 to spend on the 5 speakers. I saw an ad on Ebay for a pair of new Polk R50 and R15s for $400 shipped. Would these sound better than the ones I have? and any insights on how someone would have new, unopened speakers for almost 1/2 price? I have never purchased of Ebay but I have heard some horror stories. Or, should I just go get a full matching set? Thanks in advance for the assistance.
    Rajen.

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    That's not really a good price for those speakers. Fry's regular price for the R50's is $199 a pair and I've seen them on sale in their adds for much less. The R30's are on sale now for $79 a pair. I've seen the R15's for $24 each. But get a matched set from a reputable retailer, either from a store or an authorized e-tailer. With $1500 to spend, I'd look into the RTi line from Polk or other offerings from Infinity, JBL, Athena, etc. all of which would be a big improvement over what you have now. And shop around. Just because it's on EBAY doesn't mean it's a bargain.

3. Raj_asaurus

Raj_asaurus Stunt Coordinator

Go into the used market and buy some Polk LSi Speakers. 9s C 7s. You wouldnt believe how great they sound for the money.